Your "house" brew..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a kit only brewer for now if I had to have a house beer it would probably be Wherry. Thing is though there's so many different kits to try that I rarely ever brew the same thing twice.

This would be increased significantly as and when I get into all grain as they'd be so many different recipes I'd want to try.

I also tend to try to make my beer match the seasons, golden beers with lots of hop characteristics in the summer, darker stronger beers in the winter.

My sentiments too...I have recently moved to ag and the Greg Hughes book is my constant companion..true in saying too much to brew!
I do like a hoppy pale but then who can resist the dark toasty stouts or a mild or a traditional bitter.....then I hope to honest my skills to emulate some of the forum members who make the more unusual styles...

I don't. However i think that i will be brewing my take on Ghost Ship a little more often and may well try and have it to hand more.:thumb:

Too many to try and so many combinations of hops and malt to try.

Going forward I will look to have at least a pale ale or bitter, and a stout/porter on the go. Pale ales/bitter for the lager drinkers and stout/porter because I love them.

Good thread mate 👍
I'm like MyQul, I want to make a crisp hoppy Pilsner/Pale Ale hybrid and something like Fullers ESB
I have ruined myself since moving to AG,I have about 50 bottles in the shed from kits and I can honestly detect the same taste in them all,Golden Stag and Cwtch or whatever its called

I'll be drying hopping my 2 AG which is a ghost ship clone. I'd imagine that'll be a regular if successful. (Feck knows how Adnams will survive, I'm sure I singlehandedly keep that place afloat)

I've also always noticed the same type of flavour from all the kits so far and after sampling my first AG batch at the weekend I can confirm that it is a kit thing. I can't describe it and if for some reason I couldn't keep the AG going I'd definitely continue doing kits. I actually intend on doing one kit for every 2 AG to build and maintain stocks

I always have my house Kolsch on tap,

75% pilsner, 25% wheat , hopped to 35 IBUs using noble hops

I'm using 2 packs of cml dry Kolsch yeast now, 16 degrees for 4 days, 19 degrees for four more, cold crash a couple of days then into the keg.

It's drinkable after a week but great after two :)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Ghost Ship and a Chinook Smash for me are very regular. Ive got a few others as Im fed up with loads of hops i rarely use

I think I’ve only rebrewed a recipe twice and it hasn’t came out like the first attempt either time which is annoying! I’m rebrewing a black ipa and an amber ale in a few weeks so hopefully they’ll resemble the originals.

Too many styles, too many ingredients to play with, too many techniques to learn. I don't have a beer that is always available. However I did make a conscious decision early on in brewing to have one recipe that would be reviewed, rebrewed and (hopefully) improved, more as an exercise in repetition and yardstick of progress, than drink of preference. So far I have brewed it 4 times out of the 56 AG batches of my 3 and a bit years of homebrewing, and am at the point where it is pretty consistent with just very minor tweaks. Plan to it again in the new year, Little Earl Grey V pale ale (2.5%).

Recipe: Chinook IPA
Brewer: Bud
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 32.60 l
Post Boil Volume: 27.60 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Bottling Volume: 21.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 15.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 36.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 80.7 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
16.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -
6.40 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -
1.60 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -
1.20 g Salt (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 4 -
0.50 ml Lactic Acid (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 5 -
0.40 g Baking Soda (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 6 -
5.00 kg Golden Promise (5.0 EBC) Grain 7 91.7 %
0.25 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 8 4.6 %
0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (236.4 EBC) Grain 9 3.7 %
20.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60. Hop 10 28.6 IBUs
15.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 11 0.9 IBUs
20.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15. Hop 12 6.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast 13 -
40.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

I mix it up a bit with other yeasts and a little citra dry hop too, think Ive had 7 variations of this now :)

This is also a favorite, trying to perfect a NEIPA to add as a house beer.

Recipe: West Coast IPA
Brewer: Bud
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 31.67 l
Post Boil Volume: 26.67 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.60 l
Bottling Volume: 21.60 l
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated Color: 9.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 84.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.9 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
12.20 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -
6.40 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -
2.60 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -
0.60 g Salt (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 4 -
6.00 kg Golden Promise (5.0 EBC) Grain 5 96.0 %
0.25 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.6 EBC) Grain 6 4.0 %
15.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60. Hop 7 21.3 IBUs
50.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 25.1 IBUs
50.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 30.1 IBUs
15.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 10. Hop 10 7.7 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast 11 -
100.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
50.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
30.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

I’m trying to “perfect” my California Common to be my “house” beer. I have one tweak planned for V4 and then it’s just a case of changing the % of the 2 specialty malts until I get it right.

Ideally I’d like to have 2 or 3 “go to” beers if I’m running low on stocks and need to brew. My golden ale is promising so could be one (I fermented too hot so it’s got a very slight solvent taste, but proper fermentation, a touch crystal and more bitterness and it’ll be great), and I’ve knocked together a very simple APA recipe with Falconers Flight as the “only” hop which I have high hopes for as the cheapest hoppy beer I’ve ever made!

Well I don't have a `house beer' as such but although I do a wide variety there are ones I keep coming back to:
1. Northern Brown ale
2. Fraoch, heather beer every august.
3. Bragawd, Honey beer.
4. ESB
All from the Greg Hughes tome.

I like my Centennial SMASH I make so that's going to be a regular brew, although I am tweaking the recipe for next time to include some dry hopping.

I’m trying to “perfect” my California Common to be my “house” beer. I have one tweak planned for V4 and then it’s just a case of changing the % of the 2 specialty malts until I get it right.!
That's what I'm working on now, had 3 attempts at it and I still can't settle on what I really want.:lol:

That's what I'm working on now, had 3 attempts at it and I still can't settle on what I really want.:lol:

I first set out trying to clone Anchor Steam (it was my second ever brew), but the more I read up on the style the more new ideas I get. I already like it more than Anchor but V3 was darker than planned so V4 will hopefully fix that.

Latest posts

Back