Coconut rum milk stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snakeshack

Reaction score
I have been planning this for a while but had the bits together finally
This is all extract.
"Simply" dry stout kit
2 l coconut water
500g desiccated coconut
2.5 kg dextrose
1kg dark spraymalt
Later additions will be
500g lactose
500g desiccated coconut
Unspecified quantity of pursuers navy rum to taste

The coconut was boiled in a bag but swelled massively and split the bag but is in the fv loose,the, og is about 1080 but difficult to measure due to the Damn coconut floating everywhere.
Started fermenting within 2 hrs and am keeping a close eye as I fear the coconut may yet block the airlock if things get too vigorous and end up getting scraped off the kitchen ceiling

Now down to 1.005 so racked off into pressure barrel with added 500g lactose,will be leaving to clear for 10 days before adding rum and priming, 10 liter s into easy kegs and the remainder Into bottles,despite the quantity of coconut only has a slight background hint but I am reluctant to add more due to the quantity it will absorb

Bottled up into 2 easykegs and 21 bottles,sneaky taste on bottling was really smooth ,just need to wait for it to carbonate and condition.

Drinking this now and its really smooth and mellow with a great mouthfeel,I eventually went with 300 ml of dark navy rum,and was a bit concerned it might be too overpowering but the flavour is quite subtle with the coconut there in the background.
I will definitely be making this one again.

Would Molasses be a good thing to try in this recipe? ....as rum made from it. Then again I suppose that it would maybe be an overpowering flavour, most of which would be 'stripped ' away when rum is distilled.

Would Molasses be a good thing to try in this recipe? ....as rum made from it. Then again I suppose that it would maybe be an overpowering flavour, most of which would be 'stripped ' away when rum is distilled.
Try dark muscavado sugar as an alternative. I add 120g to my stouts (19 litres) and its just detectable and certainly not overpowering.

Try dark muscavado sugar as an alternative. I add 120g to my stouts (19 litres) and its just detectable and certainly not overpowering.

Might try this,am thinking some toasted oak chips next time as well for a more matured flavour

Just noticed the low fg and then saw the 2.5kg of dextrose. Isn't that a massive amount of sugar? Glad it's tasty.

Yes that was a lot of fermentables,am planning on keeping a fair percentage of this for a while,I have no doubt it will get better with time

I know this is adding to a year and a half old thread but it keeps it all together.... I wonder if a can of coconut milk thrown in, would work? I'm about to start a coconut stout and am using 200g of coconut flakes lightly roasted in a ten litre brew, with coconut essence on standby at bottling time if the taste should be weak.

300 grams toasted for 10 litre
Dab as much oil off as possible and throw your essence in the bin

Thank you! pretty much what I expected really. I do know that making a very nice coconut brew is doable as I only had one a couple of weeks ago, it was amazing and the head retention was fantastic.

Thank you! pretty much what I expected really. I do know that making a very nice coconut brew is doable as I only had one a couple of weeks ago, it was amazing and the head retention was fantastic.

Just use as much kitchen roll as possible to dab away the oils from the coconut.
Don't over roast or will get too bitter.
Only leave on the coconut for 2 weeks max,
I wouldn't use desiccated as too many bits will be hard to filter out. I go with flakes and threw them in loose for greater surface area, some folks bag it up in muslin

Back