Red wine is like Rose

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benbw

Reaction score
Hello

I've brewed a number of different red wine kits and they all end up being quite light and transparent in colour, rather than a deep opaque dark red.

Do I need a better wine kit, or is this something you can only get from real grapes and ageing in oak barrels?

The wine tends to be similar in taste - light, appley. Not too much banana.:lol: It drinks much more like a Rose than a full-bodied Red.

Any thoughts on how to get a bit more ... meat?

Thanks

As above, anything at the cheap end of the range is going to be like this. Maybe try a WineExpert kit at around £50 for 30 bottles and see how that is?

I've been using the Solomon Grundy Merlot. I'll try a better kit. Although £75 (seems to be the going rate for WineExpert) for 30 bottles is still cheaper than buying 30 bottles of wine, it's a significant step up in price.

Thanks

I've been using the Solomon Grundy Merlot. I'll try a better kit. Although �£75 (seems to be the going rate for WineExpert) for 30 bottles is still cheaper than buying 30 bottles of wine, it's a significant step up in price.

Thanks

Try the CC kits they can be got for as little as £40 and make a better red than the cheaper kits which as you say are a cross between a red and rose (light reds). This option may be to your liking before going to the £70 kits which I have never done but you would expect to be spot on at that price.
I am in the process of using a cheap kit i have and adding the powdered grape that you can buy on ebay to see if that gives the cheap kits more body and depth
Will report back when I have done this

There are grades of Solomon Grundy kits, 'platinum' having the highest proportion of grape juice concentrate and significantly the most expensive. I have tried the Cantina and Young's Cellar 7 (40% grape) range of reds and found them perfectly acceptable in terms of price and quality. Maturing red wine in oak has no effect on colour (derived from fermenting with grape skins) but significantly improves the flavour. Adding oak chips has little or no effect. It was just a vain attempt of the wine industry having replaced the barrels with stainless steel tanks and finding the wine wasn't as good.

I know I get boring with this but I find the Beaverdale 30 bottle reds very good. Are they proper red wine to drink - ? - Yes they are. £38.95 . I normally buy 2 at a time from Creative Wines and task advantage of free postage. CC and Kendridge also comparable and will not break the bank

I know I get boring with this but I find the Beaverdale 30 bottle reds very good. Are they proper red wine to drink - ? - Yes they are. �£38.95 . I normally buy 2 at a time from Creative Wines and task advantage of free postage. CC and Kendridge also comparable and will not break the bank

Just bought a 6 bottle Beaverdale to try, the wife didn't like the Cellar 7 red I did so I'm hoping this is more to her expectations. Admittedly the Cellar 7 doesn't taste like proper wine and is a bit light but I still think it's drinkable. Good to hear positive stuff about it.

If the Beaverdale tastes ok to me then I think I'll serve it up to her without letting her know it's home brew and see what she says ;)

Just bought a 6 bottle Beaverdale to try, the wife didn't like the Cellar 7 red I did so I'm hoping this is more to her expectations. Admittedly the Cellar 7 doesn't taste like proper wine and is a bit light but I still think it's drinkable. Good to hear positive stuff about it.

If the Beaverdale tastes ok to me then I think I'll serve it up to her without letting her know it's home brew and see what she says ;)

Which one did you get?

Many thanks for the recommendations. I'll give them a go and let you know how I get on.

Ooh, I have just had a mad idea. Instead of buying one of the better kits, what would happen if I just bought 2 Wilko kits and used twice as much concentrate before topping up with water?

Back