Single can kit brews

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delta3

Reaction score
Hi all,

Been brewing a double can kit for a couple of weeks and getting ready to stick it into secondary over the next few days. With that in mind I've been thinking of my next brew... I've got a single can kit and was contemplating brewing it at 5l rather than the 23l, and not adding any additional sugar of any form.

I've read some were a better way to bump up the abv without losing body is to not add as much water (rather than adding sugar, malt, honey etc.).

Would such a strong concentration work? Or would it be too strong for the yeast to do its work on the mix i.e. the yeast dies before all the sugars are fermented?

From what I understand a wine yeast wouldn't be particularly good because it can't digest the sugars in the malt?

If it helps it's a wilkco's stout kit...

Hi all,

Been brewing a double can kit for a couple of weeks and getting ready to stick it into secondary over the next few days. With that in mind I've been thinking of my next brew... I've got a single can kit and was contemplating brewing it at 5l rather than the 23l, and not adding any additional sugar of any form.

I've read some were a better way to bump up the abv without losing body is to not add as much water (rather than adding sugar, malt, honey etc.).

Would such a strong concentration work? Or would it be too strong for the yeast to do its work on the mix i.e. the yeast dies before all the sugars are fermented?

From what I understand a wine yeast wouldn't be particularly good because it can't digest the sugars in the malt?

If it helps it's a wilkco's stout kit...
Personaly if you want to brew it short I'd go for no less than 10 litres, it'd be a good drink and wouldn't overpower the yeast

Personally I wouldn't brew quite that short. But I say, do it!! And report back, let us know if it's worth doing. The good thing about this hobby is you can try things just like what your suggesting. If it works, happy days. If it doesn't, still happy days but you try summit else next time.

Good luck.

If you brew a one can intended to be made up to 20-23 litres, but only brew to 5 litres, you will concentrate all of the hop bitterness in the final wort by four fold or thereabouts. You might like that, I wouldn't. So I'm with @Godsdog, if you have to brew that short using the can and nowt else, no less than 10 litres, but personally I would go no lower than 12 litres.

even 10l is going to bump the bitterness right up and either make it unpleasant or get it into the add lemonade class.

To bump up the ABV replace the 1 kg of sugar most kits ask for with 1.5 kg of Dry Malt Extract, that will give you body and flavour, then add an additional amount of sugar possibly 500g or so.

That's going to give you a good shot at a nice pint and bump the ABV.

aamcle

Most Brewferm kits (which produce good beer) only brew to 9-12 litres usually with one can and a little sugar,I firmly believe trying to get anymore beer out of a brew like this will result in p***water......or Coors light as its known elsewhere

Awesome. Thanks everyone. I'll try at 10l this time and if it turns out well, then I'll give the 5l a go.

To be totally honest I didn't even think of the effects on the flavour! Which in retrospect was rather daft hahaha.

Back