Festival Beer Kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old_Bob

Reaction score
Generally speaking good kits or not ?

The reason for asking is that I have brewed two of these Festival Kits, Father Hooks and Suffolk Strong Ale, and been disappointed with both.

Both kits seemed to produce an odd flavour which felt like you had a mouthful of dust when drinking them.

Ordinarily this type of flavour would be classed as an off flavour caused by poor sanitation or hygiene.

All my kit was cleaned and sanitized in the usual manner.

Never had problems with off flavours like this both prior to brewing these kits or since.

Just interested in what other people have found when brewing these kits.

Thanks.

I've also been disappointed with both the Festival kits I've made: Golden Stag and US Steam. The taste just didn't seem up there with some of the better kits I've made.

And the US Steam was just weird, could've been the style and Northern Brewer hops included, but I won't be doing it again.

Look up the reviews here....
Beer Kit Review A - Z
I have only done the Landlords Bitter and was a bit underwhelmed tbh. It didn't taste anything like the original pub version. On the plus side it did come with a nylon hop sock which fits over the siphon tube which I now use for all my dry hops :thumb:

Done the New Zealand Pilsner once and to be fair its very good, still got a couple of dozen left probably nine months old because I don't drink lager that often and it's aged very well.

Generally have had good results with these. The Pride of London Porter was excellent, also really enjoyed the Summer Golden Glory.

Got a Suffolk Strong on the shelf to make for my next keg beer.

Only one so far that I was a bit underwhelmed by was Pilgrims Hope.

Once I've done the Suffolk Strong the only beers that I haven't made from the British ale range would be Golden Stag and Razorback IPA, both on the radar for spring/summer next year.

I've only done the Golden Stag and have been somewhat disappointed. There was a slight home brew twang to it and it has never cleared, even after around 3 months. It's drinkable, but nowhere near as good as I hoped it would be.

I'm doing Cwtch at the moment and it will be interesting to compare the two, given the rave reviews for Cwtch.

I've only done the Golden Stag and have been somewhat disappointed. There was a slight home brew twang to it and it has never cleared, even after around 3 months. It's drinkable, but nowhere near as good as I hoped it would be.

I'm doing Cwtch at the moment and it will be interesting to compare the two, given the rave reviews for Cwtch.

I also got a Cwtch in my last order, planning to get that underway this week and will be destined for bottling. Hope it lives up to expectations :thumb:

Thanks Guys for your input, greatly appreciated.

The Cwtch looks like an interesting brew. Now added to brewing list.

For those of you who have brewed a Cwtch, did you use the yeast that came with it or substitute it with something else.
I see it comes with an American ale yeast.

Thanks.

Think most use the yeast it comes with, certainly I intend to. Unlike other kits made under licence by Muntons this one comes with a US ale yeast and a decent amount of it (2 x 7g sachets).

Thanks Guys for your input, greatly appreciated.

The Cwtch looks like an interesting brew. Now added to brewing list.

For those of you who have brewed a Cwtch, did you use the yeast that came with it or substitute it with something else.
I see it comes with an American ale yeast.

Thanks.

I’ve used the yeast that comes with it, but unlike many kits, there’s two sachets so plenty of it. The kit also contains four sachets of hop pellets which smell fantastic!

The only thing not in the pack is any sugar for secondary priming. Because I put too much water in (see the Cwtch thread), I’ve bought some light spraymalt to hopefully put a bit more body into it. Will post a review in a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back