Raspberry chocolate Russian imperial stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_rawdin

Regular.
Reaction score
I want to make a raspberry chocolate Russian imperial stout, the Russian imperial part based on greg hughes recipe. I have been looking at recipes online and the amount of cocoa powder and raspberries varies a lot especially the raspberries. I am doing a 20l batch and was going to add in 200g cocoa powder and use 1.5kg of raspberries in secondary. Does this sound about right? Some recipes had about 4.5kg raspberries which sounds a lot?

I want to make a raspberry chocolate Russian imperial stout, the Russian imperial part based on greg hughes recipe. I have been looking at recipes online and the amount of cocoa powder and raspberries varies a lot especially the raspberries. I am doing a 20l batch and was going to add in 200g cocoa powder and use 1.5kg of raspberries in secondary. Does this sound about right? Some recipes had about 4.5kg raspberries which sounds a lot?

1.5kg seems about right if you don't want an over powering raspberry taste that dominates the beer

Worth adding some lactose as well. Once the sugar has been fermented out of the raspberries they end up being very tart in my experience (I've done 3 batches of raspberry wheat beer and still not really cracked it - a difficult fruit to brew with)

I'm not sure if you'll need the lactose in a RIS. The grain bill should leave you with plenty of body even if the raspberries dry it out a bit.

Latest posts

Back