Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kit Brewing Discussion. > Kits- "Twang" theory

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 23-10-2017, 12:47 PM   #1
pms67

Liked 825 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 1250

Default Kits- "Twang" theory

Someone posted an experiment regarding using boiling water when making up a kit versus luke warm water ,can't remember the results but what are people's theories regarding the twang everybody talks about?
I think it just the taste of the concentrated wort, I can now taste it in every kit , I have a Golden Stag and a Cwtch bottled and I can taste the underlying taste of the wort.
Anyone else know??

Old 23-10-2017, 01:07 PM   #2
AdeDunn

Liked 134 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 6

All I know is, the last three kits I have done I have mixed the wort into water at 78-80 degrees C rather than boiling, and of the 2 that I've tasted the flavour has been clean of anything that shouldn't be there, to my palate anyway. ALL of the kits I brewed prior to these I mixed with boiling water, and they ALL (even a Coopers Mexican Cerveza) have a slightly unpleasant background flavour of black treacle/liquorice... My wife is enjoying them, but to me they're just meh.

The 2 kits I like are both cheapo ones that I tweaked too, and are at least as good as anything I have tasted in a bottle or mini keg (not counting Titanic Plum Porter.... lol).

So yeah, I suspect at least part of the "twang" is from mixing with too hot water, as end of the day the wort has already been boiled once surely? You have to wonder too the effect that been mixed with boiling water once again has on the hop flavours too? Maybe you are right too, and the reason you can taste the concentrated wort is increased by mixing with boiling water? All I can give you is my opinion, which is anecdotal at best.

I read about that experiment too by the way, it was the reason I decided to try a lower temperature myself.
pms67 Likes This 
Old 23-10-2017, 01:25 PM   #3
chesters-mild

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 299

It may be the chemicals that your local water dept. use to treat your water, I and most other AG brewers use a campden tablet to remove clorine etc pre the boil, this may work on kits as well, any kit users tried this ?
Cheers

Old 23-10-2017, 01:34 PM   #4
pms67

It's not that mate ,my first BIAB with the same water confirmed that,I couldn't believe how fresh the beer tasted.

Old 23-10-2017, 01:51 PM   #5
Thumper

Liked 166 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 476

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesters-mild View Post
It may be the chemicals that your local water dept. use to treat your water, I and most other AG brewers use a campden tablet to remove clorine etc pre the boil, this may work on kits as well, any kit users tried this ?
Cheers
I use bottled water and make sure I boil that to mix the extract with rather than tap water. I still get an underlying flavour that I can only assume is this "homebrew twang" I've heard so much about, though I can't say I'd describe it as liquorice...

Full disclosure, this is a datapool of two brews, so it's hardly conclusive. But I'm fairly convinced it's LME rather than water that gives it this flavour. Especially since I've seen so many AG brewers claim that AG brews don't get the twang.

Old 23-10-2017, 02:13 PM   #6
pms67

I agree, it's the taste of concentrated LME
Happy to be proven wrong though

Old 23-10-2017, 02:16 PM   #7
Clint

Liked 1123 Times on 831 Posts
Likes Given: 270

I've just moved to ag. My kits have all been drinkable with no real off flavours. For want of a better description I'd say they were a bjt one dimension. The two can kits were better especially the youngs. My ag beers too,I feel,taste fresher and have more flavour. I get the same feed back from samples I've given out too...and strangely, requests for more!
I have never treated my water. The local tap water tastes fine to me but that's not to say it doesnt need adjusting mineral wise. Something I am trying to comprehend! !

Old 23-10-2017, 02:19 PM   #8
simon12

Liked 286 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 107

I have read many posts on this in the past. Kits that use alot of sugar are 1 issue, another that come up alot is that its flavour picked up from the metal tins but no idea if its true but some people have claimed if you get it in the bulk 25Kg plastic containers you don't get the "twang". I have never heard it claimed its anything to do with water temp.
Thumper Likes This 
Old 23-10-2017, 02:45 PM   #9
Sadfield

Liked 429 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Tastes to me like it is every kit or extract brew, a dull tang as back note to even the best examples, and horribly accentuated in those brews with other faults. A byproduct of the manufacturing process of reducing/drying wort, most probably staling. In the same way instant tea, coffee, soup etc isn't a substitute for the freshly made product.

Buy the freshest kits or extract you can, get the rest of your process as controlled as possible. I'd avoid hoppy pre-hopped kits, and hop them yourself or use bittering extract. And if you boil any wort, boil the largest volume possible to avoid caramelisation.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
People Like This 
Old 23-10-2017, 04:00 PM   #10
terrym

Liked 1612 Times on 1167 Posts
Likes Given: 717

Last time this got it's own thread here www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=72454
I said...

"Homebrew twang gets recycled regularly
Last big threads here
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/sh...d.php?p=676482
and here
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/sh...ad.php?t=68929
All the usual theories come out to play when its discussed including
- using table sugar
- using liquid malt extract rather than grain
- cheap kits
- not enough conditioning
- use of tap water
- yeast used
- cleaner/sanitiser
Everyone has their favourite, mine is cheap liquid malt extract.
However as far as I'm concerned, no-one really knows, as it would have been sorted out long ago."

Sadly nothing's changed
People Like This