Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kit Brewing Discussion. > Kits- "Twang" theory

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 24-10-2017, 04:29 PM   #21
darrellm

Liked 475 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadfield View Post
Tastes to me like it is every kit or extract brew,
Is that just LME, or DME as well? I don't think I've tasted it in DME/spraymalt brews and tend to stick with them nowadays.

Old 24-10-2017, 04:36 PM   #22
Brew_DD2
Mint Choc Chipster

Liked 174 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 286

I think it's an oxidation thing that affects LME proportionally to how old it is.

The twang that we all speak of tastes like sherry to me.

Old 24-10-2017, 05:00 PM   #23
Saisonator

Liked 144 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellm View Post
Is that just LME, or DME as well? I don't think I've tasted it in DME/spraymalt brews and tend to stick with them nowadays.
Yes I think just LME, I drank some DME starter last week and there was no twang.

Old 24-10-2017, 05:00 PM   #24
simon12

Liked 286 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 107

I am surprised noone has blamed it on Brexit or Donald Trump yet. They are always the most likely suspects.
People Like This 
Old 24-10-2017, 05:02 PM   #25
simon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saisonator View Post
Yes I think just LME, I drank some DME starter last week and there was no twang.
In that case it points to either LME goes stale and DME doesn't or its down to the metal tins LME comes in. Unless someone has another idea.

Old 24-10-2017, 05:27 PM   #26
Sadfield

Liked 429 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellm View Post
For a few years now, I've been attending monthly meetings of two homebrew clubs, and as a result taste around 15-20 homebrewed beers each month, from brewers of differing abilities, some using kits, LME, DME and all grain. I find that there is taste that is there in all but all grain, a flavour that identifies extract, be it Kit, LME, DME. A dull, stale, possibly slightly metallic flavour. That to me is Twang. Sometimes subtle, other times I think it is accentuated by other faults such as acetaldehyde or sherry like oxidised flavours, which maybe what some brewers associate as twang. Not sure why one would be better than the other as the difference between DME and LME production is that, DME is LME that has been centrifuged. As with all brewing ingredients, poor storage conditions won't help.

Interestingly, one club when it started around 2 years ago was predominantly kit and extract brewers, but now at at a point where nearly everyone has made the switch to AG, except for one member who would love to but can't due to time and other commitments. The reason that they made the change isn't because they want the brewday to last longer.
Old 24-10-2017, 06:04 PM   #27
simon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadfield View Post
For a few years now, I've been attending monthly meetings of two homebrew clubs, and as a result taste around 15-20 homebrewed beers each month, from brewers of differing abilities, some using kits, LME, DME and all grain. I find that there is taste that is there in all but all grain, a flavour that identifies extract, be it Kit, LME, DME. A dull, stale, possibly slightly metallic flavour. That to me is Twang. Sometimes subtle, other times I think it is accentuated by other faults such as acetaldehyde or sherry like oxidised flavours, which maybe what some brewers associate as twang. Not sure why one would be better than the other as the difference between DME and LME production is that, DME is LME that has been centrifuged. As with all brewing ingredients, poor storage conditions won't help.

Interestingly, one club when it started around 2 years ago was predominantly kit and extract brewers, but now at at a point where nearly everyone has made the switch to AG, except for one member who would love to but can't due to time and other commitments. The reason that they made the change isn't because they want the brewday to last longer.
Do you think there is much/any/significant difference between LME & DME?

Old 24-10-2017, 07:14 PM   #28
Sadfield

I have only used either to brew with once, both after i'd done 40 or so AG brews, and didn't find one better than the other. Both made perfectly acceptable beers, although clearly extract brews. I couldn't pick based on other brews I've drank, it does appear a very random issue when twang becomes very obvious.

I appears that in this thread that there is more trust in DME, yet i've read on US sites that LME makes better extract beers, and the maltmiller fresh wort kits sounded like they were a step ahead in quality.

Old 24-10-2017, 07:23 PM   #29
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4400 Times on 3332 Posts
Likes Given: 4624

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon12 View Post
I am surprised noone has blamed it on Brexit or Donald Trump yet. They are always the most likely suspects.
@Gunge told me it's caused by global warming

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king" - William Shakespeare

People Like This 
Old 24-10-2017, 07:30 PM   #30
Sadfield

This article makes some good points and one here puts the twang blame on stale LME.