Phone.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations for a new budget phone for my son at Christmas around £150 (maybe a little more) Sim free and long battery life are the main features we are looking for - the floor is yours.

Looking for recommendations for a new budget phone for my son at Christmas around £150 (maybe a little more) Sim free and long battery life are the main features we are looking for - the floor is yours.

Check out Musicmagpie and Envirofone for mint refurbs with 12 month warranty.

Might come in a plain box, and won't have headphones, but most younger kids may not notice, and will have a better phone.

Bought a spotless Sony Z5 compact earlier this year and it has Sony warranty until may next year.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Thanks @Sadfield

We want to buy a new one as the one he now has was bought second hand and the battery doesn't hold a charge very long and is not removable.

An unlocked Moto G5 from John Lewis to get a 2 year warranty, should come within your budget, but will probably need a micro SD card which is about £13 extra if you buy the 32Gb micro-SD card. We now have two in our household.

Have a look on Amazon for the Honor 5C. Both my wife and myself have one, really good battery life.

Last edited:
An unlocked Moto G5 from John Lewis to get a 2 year warranty, should come within your budget, but will probably need a micro SD card which is about £13 extra if you buy the 32Gb micro-SD card. We now have two in our household.

Thanks Terry i have been pushing him towards the G5 as i am impressed with the G4 and the G5 does get great reviews, he does have a SD card already.

Looking for recommendations for a new budget phone for my son at Christmas around �£150 (maybe a little more) Sim free and long battery life are the main features we are looking for - the floor is yours.

We love our moto g4 play phones - plus comes with a removable battery :thumb: 4 of them in the family, they come with naked andriod - i.e. no add on skins so it runs well and had good battery life.

An unlocked Moto G5 from John Lewis to get a 2 year warranty, should come within your budget, but will probably need a micro SD card which is about �£13 extra if you buy the 32Gb micro-SD card. We now have two in our household.

Bought this for our 12 year old as he started high school this year. Wish I had got one for me instead of the Samsung a5 I have. Totally recommend it. Also got a monthly sim from ID mobile. £5 per month and has loads of texts and date etc.

Ordered this for my Son's birthday: https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_920789.html

You'll find the spec on that phone similar to a top end (£500+) phone on the High Street

You're unlikely to get hit by customs if you use the slow shipping method but even if you're hit it should still come into budget.

I've now ordered many things from China and wouldn't hesitate to order again. I'm currently using this beast: https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_618318.html

The only down sides about ordering from China is if you have to return something or you are unfortunate to get hit by customs. Delivery can also take weeks but everything turns up in the end. I always pay for shipping insurance but paying by credit card you'll get more protection. I wouldn't hesitate to order again (in fact my wife is getting that phone I linked in Gold or Pink for XMas)

Uhm, you do know you can buy Ulephone handsets on Amazon from UK sellers quite cheaply? Quite a few Chinese brands are on there.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

I cannot recommend you an exact unit, but here's what I followed when I purchased a phone before — got this from a number of phone reviews I've read:

Choose a phone according to your needs. There are phones that have long-lasting batteries, with hd camera (comes in handy when travelling), and the like. You can't definitely have them all-in-one since a smartphone is particularly better in some respects than the other, unless you're going for a balanced phone.

Buying the latest smartphones would be a gamble because of their glitches and problems are yet to be discovered when newly-sent out to the market. They also come at a high price since they're new on the market.

Previous years' flagship smartphones are better than the latest in these respects: Although old, they are still top-of-the-line smartphones which had their glitches and problems unraveled; the price is also relatively lower; with these, you can make an informed decision.

Uhm, you do know you can buy Ulephone handsets on Amazon from UK sellers quite cheaply? Quite a few Chinese brands are on there.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

The phone I got (Power 2) is �£50 more from a UK supplier. Then again I didn't pay import duty and if anything goes wrong it's probably an expensive brick and not worth the hassle of sending back.

You take the risk but my previous phone (Elephone P8000) lasted me 2 years before that in-built battery only gave me 5 hours use. I might fix it though as it's still a decent phone.

Braddy's suggestion about jotting down your needs is important. I opted for the Ulefone over the Xaoimi I linked to because of the big battery. I don't play games or need a great camera but I've developed an app that needs a days use out of the device. I easily get 2-3 but it may not suit your son as it lacks in certain areas.

Here's a good site that compares most brands of phone (not just UK based)

https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare-smartphones

The new Honor 7x and the Honor 9i are soon to launch in this country and are likely to be close to the required price. Reading the specs it is highly likely one of these will be my next phone!

Back