Wilko Gervin Ale Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I pitched a 21 litre brew with an 11g packet of Wilko Gervin Ale yeast yesterday. I dry sprinkled at 19*C and the water bath set-up is also controlled by an Inkbird at 19*C. I had bought the yeast some time ago but kept it in the fridge, and in any case it was still 8 months away from the use by date. And the wort had a good thrashing before I pitched, and I put in half tsp yeast nutrient as I normally do.
Thing is, it's only just got going at a reasonable pace 24 hours on.
So is this slow start normal for this yeast? I have only used it once before and that was ages ago. Other yeasts I use (even kit yeast in 7g packets) are bubbling furiously through the airlock at this time.

Mine have usually started within 24 hours. How long was it out of the fridge before you pitched it? I take mine out at the start of brewing so they get around 4 hours at room temperature.

I have used it loads and its normally going strong in 24 hours but has a few times taken a bit longer with no other problems. If its not going in another 24 hours somethings wrong, at least from my experience.

Got a brew going ATM into day 3 that I pitched dry with wilkos gervin started pretty quick and 36 hours in was another stink the house out brew,what I have noticed is no krausen with it albeit a furious activity

24-36 hours is abour right for that yeast, I use it regularly. I hadn't used it for a while but have done in my latest brew, once it got going it was crazy - first brew I've had climbing out the FV despite lowish OG and plenty of headroom. It's a good yeast. I have had other yeasts take up to 3 days to get going.

Thanks for replies.
Since posting it's picked up quite a lot. There's now a good krausen I can see through the FV wall, and the airlock is now going well - but not explosively.
Hopefully it's just a slow starter and will see things out as it should. Don't mind them if that's how they work.
I will exhibit a bit more patience next time :thumb:

Back