George Riley 'suspended'

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I like George Riley on 5 live in the morning looks like i may have to get used to not hearing him discussing sport.

Radio 5 Live presenter George Riley has been suspended by the BBC following claims of sexual harassment, according to reports.

Riley was absent from the coverage of the Wales match against Papua New Guinea yesterday despite covering previous Rugby League World Cup events for the station.

The sports presenter has allegedly been accused of groping five female colleagues, sources told The Sunday Times. He has been a presenter of 5 live Breakfast since 2011.

The allegations came to light as it emerged the BBC’s most senior female presenters have formed a group to “discuss issues” amid claims of sexual harassment at the organisation.

Presenter Mishal Husain and TV broadcaster Victoria Derbyshire are reportedly among the women behind the group which has provided a safe space for colleagues to share and discuss sexual harassment at the BBC.

Riley and another unnamed man are reported to have formed the subject of some of the discussions.

The private group “is formed from some of the BBC’s most powerful female talent and editors... [and] it will not stand for sexual harassment of women at the corporation”, a source told the Sunday paper.

They added: “Complaints about these two men may just be the tip of the iceberg at the BBC.”

It was originally created in July as a response to the issue of gender pay discrepancy at the corporation but has since evolved into a discussion about inappropriate sexual conduct.

The Harvey Weinstein scandal is believed to have sparked a dialogue between the BBC’s top editors and presenters about sexual misconduct within the workplace.

The BBC’s Washington Correspondent, Rajini Vaidyanathan, is reportedly a member of the group and wrote about her experience of sexual harassment in the wake of the controversy.

In 2004, an older colleague told her “I’m unbelievably sexually attracted to you” while they were covering the Republican Convention in New York.

Today programme presenter Husain has responded on Twitter, saying The Sunday Times article was “an inaccurate portrayal of conversations women at the BBC have been having”.

She went on to add that the group “discusses a wide range of issues, offering support and advice where necessary, It is wrong to portray it as being focused on sexual harassment or targeting individuals”.

It is understood that one of the alleged victims complained about Riley as part of the corporation’s Respect at Work Review in 2013.

The independent review was “set up in the wake of the Jimmy Savile scandal to look at current BBC policies and processes relating to sexual harassment”.

Savile was found to have wantonly sexually abused women and children during his 40-year career without ever being brought to book.

A BBC spokesperson said: “We can’t comment on individuals but treat any allegations seriously and have processes in place for investigating them.”

The BBC have also reported the story on their own news channel but did not comment further

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ictoria-derbyshire-george-riley-a8025571.html

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAjxarbTLW0[/ame]

I'm getting fed up of hearing about litigation on the 'news'. Let's all just sue the **** out of one another for demeanours real or imagined, and have done with it all.

I think the days of women keeping quiet about this sort of thing because they fear they are not going to be taken seriously are long gone and i think rather than seeing less we are going to see a lot more and its about time.

Riley was absent from the coverage of the Wales match against Papua New Guinea yesterday despite covering previous Rugby League World Cup events for the station.

The sports presenter has allegedly been accused of groping five female colleagues, sources told The Sunday Times. He has been a presenter of 5 live Breakfast since 2011.

I'm getting fed up of hearing about litigation on the 'news'. .

I agree to a certain degree Gunge i do not think a person can get a fair trial once the media has decided you are guilty, i do not think they should be able to print something and say "alleged" they should only publish once action has been taken.

I agree to a certain degree Gunge i do not think a person can get a fair trial once the media has decided you are guilty, i do not think they should be able to print something under "alleged" they should only publish once action has been taken.

Now that I do agree with. Trial by media is not a good thing at all. The problem is now is that news gets out over Twitter and conventional media feel compelled to keep up for fear of becoming obsolete or being accused of burying stories.

It's a real problem. People are no longer innocent until proven otherwise.

Women having the audacity to complain about sexual harassment in the workplace. It's political correctness gone mad Gunge.

Sorry I'll try again. I'm not making light of these cases but would it be fair to say that George Whassisface has considerably more money than he did at the time the offences were alleged to have occurred? I honestly don't know anything about the guy but why do so many years go by before saying summat in all these 'high-profile' cases. I smell a rat, and it's not just the accused.

I understand some level of skepticism but I doubt money is the motivating factor.

Sorry I'll try again. I'm not making light of these cases but would it be fair to say that George Whassisface has considerably more money than he did at the time the offences were alleged to have occurred? I honestly don't know anything about the guy but why do so many years go by before saying summat in all these 'high-profile' cases. I smell a rat, and it's not just the accused.

I think its the fear of speaking up Gunge and once someone does they have the confidence to do the same.

I don't think George Riley is going to be loaded by any stretch of the imagination (though far better off than the average wage would allow for sure), certainly no more than he was a year or two ago. I don't think gold digging is behind this at all - it's the Jimmy Saville phenomenon (careful...) with victims who never thought they had a chance of being taken seriously now realising people are listening and stepping forward.

In his case (if guilty) it's not about individual money or power - it's about a culture of acceptability.....and that's from the top down (and that is about money & power).

Latest posts

Back