Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Discussion > Quick Lager method

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:54 PM   #11
Covrich
Sith Acolyte
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1432 Times on 1049 Posts
Likes Given: 635

Send a message via AIM to Covrich Send a message via MSN to Covrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLGMIlson View Post
How's the lager getting on ?
Pretty good I am letting it slowly rise to room temp now, will leave it a week then drop the temp down to 10ºc then add gelatine and see if I can get it to crash to really low ºc after which I will bottle carb then lager in fridge .

The whole purpose of trying this was to not have to try and not have to swap ice bottles for 4 weeks and do a quicker method.

Will see how it goes its my first go.

Longhorn American IPA
True lager
Small left over Pale expermients

Fermenting / Conditioning

Lager AG 5%

Drinking

Sour Hen 5.8%
Turbo Cider 5%
Weize Guy Kristalwiezen 5%
Longhorn 5.6%
UmBongo 5%

Old 17-11-2017, 09:27 AM   #12
Covrich
Sith Acolyte
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Bottled this Wednesday, beer is quite clear.. Not crystal yet but looks promising and the botttling sample dreg tastes are promising.. Now to carb for a couple of weeks then store in fridge or in the garage if the freezing outside temps hold..

To calrify what I did

1 week at 12-14ºc
1 week a room temp (gradual increase up)
ramp down again when it was 8ºc added the gelatine (never used this before)
kept at around 2ºc for 48 hours it did start to creep up to 4-6 24 hours later at the point I bottled.

Longhorn American IPA
True lager

Lager AG 5%

Drinking

Sour Hen 5.8%
Turbo Cider 5%
Longhorn 5.6%
UmBongo 5%

Old 17-11-2017, 12:31 PM   #13
BeerCat

Liked 687 Times on 573 Posts
Likes Given: 968

Be great to hear how this goes. As someone said earlier in the thread i think this method cuts down on the time in the FV but the beers still need a few months conditioning imho. Once crashed and bottled i leave them anywhere i can find space. Even left some in the airing cupboard for 6 weeks and they have been great. You can ramp the temp straight up to 20c with no ill effects either. I hold for 2 days then have a taster before crashing. I am going to try and fill the garage with Lagers this winter as they seems to have a great shelf life and the weather is free.

Conditioning Dry Irish Stout with CML US yeast

Drinking American Stout, Punk IPA, Kolsch x2, German Lager x2, Mild, Brown Porter, Mead, Melomel

Old 17-11-2017, 04:40 PM   #14
Covrich
Sith Acolyte
THBF_MODERATOR.png

That is fine, I wasn;t expecting it to be 4 week turn around, but without a "fridge" I was hoping to use it as a method to help quicken the FV process and not swap ice bottles for a month.. So far it appears to maybe be a success in that respect..

Longhorn American IPA
True lager

Lager AG 5%

Drinking

Sour Hen 5.8%
Turbo Cider 5%
Longhorn 5.6%
UmBongo 5%

Old 17-11-2017, 05:26 PM   #15
Saisonator

Liked 135 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Definitely a good time to make lager for next summer, as is traditionally the way.

Old 17-11-2017, 08:20 PM   #16
GerritT

Liked 102 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saisonator View Post
Definitely a good time to make lager for next summer, as is traditionally the way.
The real art is to KEEP lager until summer, and not glug it away during the Christmas holidays

Old 17-11-2017, 08:50 PM   #17
Dutto
Dutto

Liked 1830 Times on 1295 Posts
Likes Given: 3957

If the brew has turned out okay it is probably due to the ingredients and yeast rather than the process.

In the last couple of years I have:

o Lagered a brew for 12 weeks at 6 degrees.

o Cold Crashed a brew for a week at one degree AFTER carbonation.

o Lagered a brew at six degrees for ten weeks and then carbonated for four weeks before drinking.

o Cold Crashed a brew at 5 degrees for a week and then left it for eight weeks on the shelf to carbonate and condition.

They have ALL tasted better than ANY of the gnats pee sold as lager in the shops and pubs, so I suspect that the lagering process is only for people with more discernible taste buds than mine.

Living more in hope than expectation; and seldom disappointed.

Drinking
Coopers Stout Kit + Grain (15/06/17)
AG Vienna Lager with Hallertau (12/11/17)
Wilco's Hoppy Copper Bitter (12/11/17)
Wilco's Pilsner with Lowicz Cherry Syrup (12/11/17)
AG Low ABV Pale Ale (19/11/17)

Carbonating/Conditioning
Spiced Pumpkin Ale

Fermenting
Golden Pumpkin Ale
AG Oatmeal Stout

Note:
(**/**/**) = Date ready to drink.

Old 17-11-2017, 09:16 PM   #18
Covrich
Sith Acolyte
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutto View Post
If the brew has turned out okay it is probably due to the ingredients and yeast rather than the process.

In the last couple of years I have:

o Lagered a brew for 12 weeks at 6 degrees.

o Cold Crashed a brew for a week at one degree AFTER carbonation.

o Lagered a brew at six degrees for ten weeks and then carbonated for four weeks before drinking.

o Cold Crashed a brew at 5 degrees for a week and then left it for eight weeks on the shelf to carbonate and condition.

They have ALL tasted better than ANY of the gnats pee sold as lager in the shops and pubs, so I suspect that the lagering process is only for people with more discernible taste buds than mine.
Oh precsley

The idea behind the process is to speed up the long fermentation. My parents bought me all the ingredients for a good lager but It is by virtue I dont have the ease of temp control.. I have a cool bag which works well but lagering would be a little bit of a ball ache for weeks and weeks.. So I decided to adopt this method in order to kind of cheat it a little to suit my setup and it worked well.. I even managed a crash in the bag thanks to the cold weather cooling my conservatory..

Made some great pseudo lagers with neutral ale yeast but want to see how much better it can be with real yeast. I think this will be a real winner based on what I have so far.

Given most average joes yard stick is low with the stack em high piss I would have to seriously screw up a lager for the average lager drinker to turn their nose up from it..

Longhorn American IPA
True lager

Lager AG 5%

Drinking

Sour Hen 5.8%
Turbo Cider 5%
Longhorn 5.6%
UmBongo 5%

Dutto Likes This 
Old 30-11-2017, 11:17 AM   #19
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4398 Times on 3331 Posts
Likes Given: 4623

How are you getting on with your lager?

I came across this paper on. 'The influence of conditioning on Lager Beer Quality' If I'm reading it right it seems to suggest that malt quality and wort production and fermentation are far more important than (cold storage of) lagering a Lager beer

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1....tb03785.x/pdf

We've all heard of the way lager beer was stored in caves over the winter but I've never really read (or thought about) why, other than simply to lager it as a process, in and of itself. But a bit in the introduction I found interesting was that the whole reason for lagering was not to try to improve its quality but to meet sales demand in the summer (once again we see money making's influence on beer) when beers of consistant quality were difficult to produce because of a lack of mechanical refrigeration.
Again we've all heard of 'the brewing season' when brewers wouldnt brew during summer. Even today some HBer's only brew in the winter and even here on the forum I am aware of some forumites who ony brew in winter (but that may because they have other hobbies during the summer).

So I'm wondering if what the paper is proposing is true, is, now we have mechanical refridgeration, Lagering for extended periods is more a romantic notion than anything else

This it all chimes with brulosophers quick lager method. Does it mean you dont have to bother lagering a beer? Im not so sure. But what it may mean is, that if like us with our brew bags, you can cold ferment during the winter and concentrate on getting the fermentation right. So if you dont have the means to lager, like me, you dont have to worry about it so much or do something like batch lager your bottles in your domestic fridge for a week before drinking them.

The

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king" - William Shakespeare

Old 30-11-2017, 01:25 PM   #20
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4398 Times on 3331 Posts
Likes Given: 4623

Having thought about it, I'm going to have a go at this tomorrow eve. I'll make a 5L test batch of pesudo pilsner. It'll be pseudo in every sense - I'll put the recipe in my brewday thread later/tomorrow so you can see what I mean.

I'll ferment it at 15C with CML kolsch yeast for one week, then ramp it up to ambient temp (about 18C) by letting it 'free rise' for another week. I'll then package it in 1L growlers. I'll then condition it for at least two weeks before putting a growler at at time (dont think MrsMQ would be happy if I filled the fridge up with beer) in my domestic fridge for 1 week to lager before tucking in

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king" - William Shakespeare