Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kits & Brewing Equipment Reviews. > Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:59 PM   #1
terrym

Liked 1603 Times on 1159 Posts
Likes Given: 714

Default Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale

I tried one of these to see what it was like. No-one seems to have reviewed it so here goes...
First the Coopers blurb promised that it was an "American style Pale Ale" with " rich amber colour, toffee malt flavours, citrus and pine hop aromas, a refreshing bitter finish and thick creamy head".
Second this kit shares the same yeast as their (newish ) Brew A IPA and as I had had problems with this kit yeast I decided to use the some of the trub from a tweaked Coopers AuPA which had gone well.
Wot I did....
- Kit can
- Yeast as above
- Micro mash ..250g Pale Malt, 100g Torrified Wheat, 125g Crystal Malt
- 500g Dark DME instead of 500g Light DME as I had intended
- 500g Dextrose
I had intended to use Cascade hops on this one but since the mistake with the dark DME had changed things I used EKG instead. So to give it a bit of additional hop flavour I boiled 5 g of EKG with the micromash wort for 10 mins.
Brewed to 22 litres , OG 1.045
Water bath at 19*C.
Racked off at day 11 and dry hopped with 50g EKG for 7 days. FG 1.006 (which surprised me).
Carbed up quickly so into fridge for a week, before trying the first one tonight, and ...was underwhelmed.
Although its early days all the promises in the blurb have not been met. I certainly cannot detect any citrus and even my EKG tweaks are not very noticeable.
For me this kit falls in the same category as the Brew A IPA i.e. it doesn't meet the glowing descriptions that Coopers have given it.
So unless it significantly improves as it matures I shan't bother with another one.
People Like This 
Old 05-12-2017, 06:35 PM   #2
terrym

Update..
Its now about 7 weeks since I bottled this and I've sort of changed my mind about it. It seems to have mellowed a bit. I still can't taste any citrus, but lots of toffee caramel in there and just a hint of roasty. Leaves a slight bitterness. For me a good balance of malt and hops. A bit of lacing but the head does die quite quickly. It might just turn into one I try again.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:51 PM   #3
yeastinfection

Liked 258 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 468

ive done 2 kits, one cider and a coopers lager. both of them very dissapointing ,very thin and tasteless , thats why i went on to AG,

Old 05-12-2017, 07:56 PM   #4
terrym

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeastinfection View Post
ive done 2 kits, one cider and a coopers lager. both of them very dissapointing ,very thin and tasteless , thats why i went on to AG,
Thankyou for that.
Most enlightening
I hope you have better success in your move to AG, now you appear to have written off all kits after only one attempt at beer and the other cider.
That aside, how is what you have said related to a review of this particular kit?