Is it worth doing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was something on here about that very subject not too long ago. I tried it and as far as I could tell it made naff-all difference, just like using two packs of yeast did, apart from give me twice as much bloody sediment. Both those were with CML yeast, maybe others would benefit or high-gravity worts, dunno.

Yes I do. I started using it when I use liquid yeast so I got the best out of it plus I couldn't be bothered to make a starter. I always make a starter now but still carry on using the nutrient as I have it. Not sure if I will replace when it has run out though.

I always use a half teaspoon in each kit. My reasoning is that I use dry yeast and never rehydrate so it may help get the thing going (especially with the Muntons 5/6g sachets of yeast). Dunno if it has any effect though.

If you’re brewing all grain you shouldn’t need to use it as the wort has all the nutrients the yeast needs. I always chuck a little bit in my starters but that’s the only time I use it.

If you’re brewing all grain you shouldn’t need to use it as the wort has all the nutrients the yeast needs. I always chuck a little bit in my starters but that’s the only time I use it.
Which is what I always thought, but I do like Terrys and Gunges scientific approach, so i assume the consensus is that its a waste of time. Another myth debunked, only a few hundred more to go.:mrgreen:

There was something on here about that very subject not too long ago. I tried it and as far as I could tell it made naff-all difference, just like using two packs of yeast did, apart from give me twice as much bloody sediment. Both those were with CML yeast, maybe others would benefit or high-gravity worts, dunno.

There is a use for adding two packets of yeast. 1) Like you say, if the wort is of high gravity 2) If your making a lager you need twice as much yeast as when making an ale because of the cold 3) If your making a pseudo lager adding two packets means that the yeast make much less esters and get on with the job of fermenting striaght away, leading to a cleaner beer

There is a use for adding two packets of yeast. 1) Like you say, if the wort is of high gravity 2) If your making a lager you need twice as much yeast as when making an ale because of the cold 3) If your making a pseudo lager adding two packets means that the yeast make much less esters and get on with the job of fermenting striaght away, leading to a cleaner beer

Fair point. if you were fermenting at a low temp. would nutrient be beneficial? just to keep things chugging along...no science involved here lol

David Heath, who does GF brewing videos says he always uses yeast nutrient.

I never do and expect it is just habit, or a form of prophylaxis.

I used to be on the ‘don’t bother’ side of this argument but I’ve been frustrated recently with poor attenuation so decided to try nutrient on my latest brew. It went from 1.058 to bang on target 1.010 in about four days, much better and quicker than I had been getting. Some caveats: I no chill in my FV, so don’t tend to aerate as well as I probably should before pitching normally, whereas this time due to a sediment issue I racked off to another bucket and back to my FV, so my wort was much better aerated. I also used a pack of US05 that I’d bought less than a week earlier rather than it sitting in my fridge for a while. So, several possible contributing factors but nutrient was one of them.

As I understand it, nutrient is principally supposedly to help with yeast growth which is why lots of people use it in starters, and also I guess explains why @gunge noticed extra sediment when using it. I guess it should reduce the lag phase on that basis, and my brew using nutrient certainly started quickly.

I used to be on the ‘don’t bother’ side of this argument but I’ve been frustrated recently with poor attenuation so decided to try nutrient on my latest brew. It went from 1.058 to bang on target 1.010 in about four days, much better and quicker than I had been getting. Some caveats: I no chill in my FV, so don’t tend to aerate as well as I probably should before pitching normally, whereas this time due to a sediment issue I racked off to another bucket and back to my FV, so my wort was much better aerated. I also used a pack of US05 that I’d bought less than a week earlier rather than it sitting in my fridge for a while. So, several possible contributing factors but nutrient was one of them.

As I understand it, nutrient is principally supposedly to help with yeast growth which is why lots of people use it in starters, and also I guess explains why @gunge noticed extra sediment when using it. I guess it should reduce the lag phase on that basis, and my brew using nutrient certainly started quickly.

No he was going on again about the time he used two packs of dried yeast (which was probably the correct pitch rate) and got loads of sediment?

If a beer ferments from say 1.050 to 1.010, however long it takes and if you use two packs of yeast or nutrient, I can't see it making significant difference in sediment. It has an amount of wort to ferment, one way may do it quicker than the other but you have the same process producing a very similar product.
The only way you will get significantly more sediment is to cold crash and maybe add finnings.

Think I will get some to go in starters, is it the same stuff as used in winemaking or is there nutrients specific to beer yeast?

I have to say, Im finding this topic really interesting, with no conclusive evidence but some interesting thoughts. :thumb: ...all worthy of consideration. Well done chaps:thumb:

I heard a podcast where the brewer only added a teaspoon of some kind of zinc. Was for a 200 barrel batch.
Thanks for the comment Mr beercat. Im going to do a sort of Elvis juice clone, only because my son likes it and and its reasonably high abv, so will chuck in some nutrient and see what happens, especially since my house is pretty cold in eire. Hardly scientific though:thumb:

Thanks for the comment Mr beercat. Im going to do a sort of Elvis juice clone, only because my son likes it and and its reasonably high abv, so will chuck in some nutrient and see what happens, especially since my house is pretty cold in eire. Hardly scientific though:thumb:

Its cold in my garage too and have fermented a few batches a little cold. I didn't bother to use temp control and i was wondering if any would stall. Happy to say all was good though. :)

Latest posts

Back