Newbie...extract American IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jvb

Reaction score
Hi
I'm new on here. I've been brewing kits for a year is so and want to try extract brewing.

I've given it a go once using an old recipe book. I brewed a 'brown ale' that came out way to sweet.

I'm sure it's asked a million times, but, does anyone have a really good beginners recipe and step by step guide to extract brewing to get me going?

Thanks

Jvb

Two old threads here with a recipe and a method.
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=56403
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55908
Remember that, with extract brewing, you don't have to boil all of the wort like you do in AG. So you can use a smaller stockpot and boil some of the ME with the hops, and the rest just goes into the FV as it would for a kit. And even then if you don't have a big stockpot you can brew smaller volumes.
There are extract recipes in Graham Wheelers book 'Brew your Own British Ale' if you can get a copy, I borrowed one from my local library.

Thanks. I'm going to give the first one a go and make a small batch as a trial.

If using dried malt extract (DME/spraymalt) try to use a recipe that uses whole packets 500g / 1kg rather than part packets, because it clumps up as soon as it's exposed to moisture so a) it's hard to measure out and b) it's hard to store half empty packets.

Thanks
I'm going to try and cut the recipe down to 1KG DME ; do hop pellets store well (I guess not given they come vac packed?).

Thanks
; do hop pellets store well (I guess not given they come vac packed?).
Use what you need from a packet, then try to lose as much air as you can from the packet before you reseal, then put the packet in the freezer. I usually double wrap the packet as well. Hops should then keep for some time, although like all things put into a freezer will not keep indefinitely.

Latest posts

Back