Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kits & Brewing Equipment Reviews. > Re: St Peters Cream Stout

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 17-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
charlie10910

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Re: St Peters Cream Stout

just set this away , instructions are a bit vague on the box dosnt give a temp for pitching yeast so had to go with around 24 c instructions say add hop sachet then yeast which i did and leave to stand 4/6 days between 18/20c( prolly leave it in fv for 10 days though before bottling) then stand bottles in a warm place for 2 days then 14 days in the cool or until beer has cleared , sg was 1040 approx , had a quick taste and its very bitter which i hope it keeps a bit of that , the hop power was goldings , ill update as it goes

forgot to add with the instructions being vague i did give it a gentle stir after adding hop extract and yeast

Old 18-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
charlie10910

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

sitting between 18/20c nice foaming ice cream head (4/5 inch ) after 1 day so impressed the coopers took two days to even start , can smell the hops but not as strong does smell very nice though and you can deffo pick up chocolate , looking forward to this one
Manxnorton Likes This 
Old 18-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
Andylatter85

I did ask the admin last friday if I could do a review of this kit, he never replied.... Anyway much the same as your experience Charlie, Lovely kit! I left mine for 5 days in the primary before racking it off into a keg. I had a cheeky glass and mine wasnt bitter it actually had a well rounded flavour, I will leave it to condition for 2 months before drinking This has potential to be a superb pint!

p.s, Nice review and good luck with your creamy stout

Old 18-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
charlie10910

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

sorry bud didnt mean to jump the gun on ya there was nothing up for a couple of days so i just put up yesterday , it was the first taste from the og sample which was bitter to my taste but it does smell very nice not sure if mine will last two months though lol , did you get the taste of chocy in your tester ?

Old 18-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
Andylatter85

You didn't jump the gun at all mate, it's just one of those things. The chocolate taste at the end really reminded me of chocolate brazils! I think it will mellow out over time for you, my guess it will be good for you after a month if you can wait that long?? I personally am struggling with temptation! It smells divine and it looks even better!

Old 18-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
charlie10910

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i only drink stout so im looking for one thats a bit like Guinness original with that bite , i like a bit off bitterness i did the coopers but find them a bit sweet for my palate , dont mind the chocolate apart from the Mrs says it smells nice lol so may have to hide it , it does have a lovely colour to it , what was your fg if you took it says it should be below 1014 but thats a bit vague lol hoping its a bit lower than than to get the suggested 5%

Old 18-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
Andylatter85

LOL my Mrs said that however she doesn't drink so I'm quite lucky! I didn't check to be honest mate just left it for 5 days then got it off the sediment now kegging it. The St Peters kits are always stable so the 1014 isn't impossible, if you leave it long enough it should get somewhere near where it should be lol.

Old 20-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
charlie10910

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

day 4 and down to 1014 already , looking good , tasting nice , ive a bit of a sore throat but id say for me tastes better than the coopers , temps been a git to keep steady but seems to have coped with low 17/18c to 20c very well , still bubbling so ill leave another day or so and check again .

Old 20-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #9
Andylatter85

Excellent! Mine was permanently at 23c although the instructions says 20c.. Looking good though

Old 22-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #10
charlie10910

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

day 6 now at 1010 and still bubbling away lol looks like it may well get that 5%
Manxnorton Likes This