Philip Hammond says there are 'no unemployed people'

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Its fairly clear that he was saying that people displaced by technology tend not to remain out of work.
Conversely, we have a large number of feckless people in this country who have no inclination to working for a living and who are more than happy to parasitize those of us that do.

Conversely, we have a large number of feckless people in this country who have no inclination to working for a living and who are more than happy to parasitize those of us that do.

He probably meant that there is no excuse/reason for anyone to be out of work other than blatant bone-idleness. Even the most cursory glance at the myriad job sites shows that there is jobs galore, even for the least qualified and inexperienced folk. Some people simply don't want to pull their weight and would much prefer to be carried, it's as simple as that. But no government yet, despite countless 'clampdowns', has done the decent thing and let these leeches starve.

Its fairly clear that he was saying that people displaced by technology tend not to remain out of work.

He talks about the million shorthand typists replaced by the PC the difference then was the PC still needed input from humans robots are going to take the place of humans in many roles over the next 20 - 40 years (as discussed in the robot thread) and other than maintaining those robots where are all these people going to be employed.

He talks about the million shorthand typists replaced by the PC the difference then was the PC still needed input from humans robots are going to take the place of humans in many roles over the next 20 - 40 years (as discussed in the robot thread) and other than maintaining those robots where are all these people going to be employed.

Those who want to work will find work, even if it means retraining etc. Have no fear of that.

The system is set up to syphon money from hard working taxpayers to the rich via housing benefits, ensuing that the price of housing stays high and that the hard working taxpayers can never afford a home of their own - time to get rid of housing benefits.

The system is set up to reward those who won't work or will only work a low paid part time job to maximise benefits to pump out huge families of feral kids while hard working taxpayers can't afford to start a family - time to get rid of child benefits and working families tax credits and replace them with reductions to income tax so that having a bunch of kids for the state to feed ceases to be an option and having a family is a choice, not a mealticket.

And that's just the start.

robots are going to take the place of humans in many roles over the next 20 - 40 years (as discussed in the robot thread) and other than maintaining those robots where are all these people going to be employed. .

How about less people?

Not paying them to breed seems like a good start.

There's a dude couple of doors down from us, 24 years old and never worked a day in his life. Rent paid, fuel paid, council tax paid. Not tried finding work cos he doesn't want to ( his words ). But things have gotten so desperate lately that my eternally soft missus has taken to supplying him with meals, from money I have worked for. WTF??? This is enraging me no end but for now, I'm keeping a lid on it to preserve domestic harmony. But it won't last.

There's a dude couple of doors down from us, 24 years old and never worked a day in his life. Rent paid, fuel paid, council tax paid. Not tried finding work cos he doesn't want to ( his words ). But things have gotten so desperate lately that my eternally soft missus has taken to supplying him with meals, from money I have worked for. WTF??? This is enraging me no end but for now, I'm keeping a lid on it to preserve domestic harmony. But it won't last.

I feel for you.
A few years ago, we had a chap working at my place. He was part time, doing 18 hours a week in a near minimum wage job paying a lot less than mine. He had 7 kids and a non-working wife who spoke no English.
This man drove a brand new Audi SUV, while I cycle to work.
During a conversation with someone at work, he revealed the secret of his success.
He was only working because this was the optimum way to maximise working families tax credit - and he was getting more from that than I earn before tax for working full time, and he was getting it on top of his wage.
He was also provided with a large rented house paid for by housing benefit.
His income from these sources alone was in excess of twice my gross full time salary.
Was he claiming that his kids were "disabled" and milking that cash cow too? I have no idea but I wouldn't be surprised.

Personally, I'd pull the plug on the whole rotten system and let them starve - it would certainly reverse our migrant flow.

There are many unemployed out there believe me who want to work, don't tar them all with the same brush, you might be unemployed one day.

I don't believe you. If they wanted to work, there would be no Eastern Europeans working in our fields and orchards.

Hammond may be a very smart guy but he's got a tin ear. The unemployment rate is very low and around what economists would term 'full employment' and one of the reasons it's called that is the assumption that people in the 4.9% or whatever it is that are unemployed will quickly find work again. So as a technical point he may have been accurate but his choice of words was never going to be well received.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't believe you. If they wanted to work, there would be no Eastern Europeans working in our fields and orchards.
Depends which part of the country you live I suppose, I'm self employed and work long hours for less than minimum wage but would hate to be unemployed in Hull as has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country.

There are many unemployed out there believe me who want to work, don't tar them all with the same brush, you might be unemployed one day.

I've only been unemployed once; turned up for work one Monday morning and vans were taking all the equipment away! Gaffer said "best thing you can do is get to the job centre". I went back to bed instead. Thus followed a blissful 6 weeks of doing sod-all. But when I went to the cashpoint one day, there was nuthin' in. Holiday over, I found a job within the week.

This is the key - send all the foreigners home and make our native workshy do those jobs or get all benefits stopped. I shouldn't have to point out that I don't mean folk with mental issues or physical handicaps / chronic medical problems etc but I will do anyway cos I know someone is gonna pounce on it.

I shouldn't have to point out that I don't mean folk with mental issues or physical handicaps / chronic medical problems etc but I will do anyway cos I know someone is gonna pounce on it.

I would qualify that with words like "real", "significant" and "disabling".
Just because someone has an impairment, it doesn't mean that they can't work.
I work with colleagues who have major physical and sensory impairments and not only do they work (with appropriate adjustments and adaptations) but they are some of the most vehement critics of the feckless that I've ever met.
As for the pouncers, let them pounce. If they are such snowflakes that they can't bare for someone to hold a contrary opinion without having a hissy fit, I have no respect for them or their views.

Depends which part of the country you live I suppose, I'm self employed and work long hours for less than minimum wage but would hate to be unemployed in Hull as has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country.

I believe Norman Tebbit had some salient advice for people in such a predicament back in the 80's, with an anecdote about his father.

This is the key - send all the foreigners home and make our native workshy do those jobs or get all benefits stopped. I shouldn't have to point out that I don't mean folk with mental issues or physical handicaps / chronic medical problems etc but I will do anyway cos I know someone is gonna pounce on it.

He is probably winding himself up to fever pitch right now ;-)

Just up the road from me, Grimsby has high unemployment, and yet the food processing factories are full of Eastern European migrants.

You don't have to be an economics genius to see that something is going wrong there.

It's a combination of cheap labour forcing down wages, and the reality of a full time life on benefits being more palatable that gutting fish for a living at the going rate, which may well be a harsh job, but it's a job.

The problem is that I, and huge amounts of my working friends, believe the above to be self evident common sense, but the political class believe it to be right wing bigoted nonsense that is only the opinion of people who want to go back to the empire and burning witches, or worse. Of course, the fact that their ilk profit from society being structured like this is a total coincidence.

End of rant.

Yep, migration (regardless of skin colour or creed) always hits the working poor the hardest.
Wages are driven down, housing becomes unaffordable, essential services like transport, education, healthcare are all overstretched and they have to live with the social problems and crime that go with living among people who are ungrateful, uneducated guests of a country that they have no allegiance to.
And what do the working poor do about this?
The morons vote Labour in droves.
They actually vote for a party that cares more for the foreigners than it does for them!

Latest posts

Back