Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Equipment Discussion > Brew Kettle Advice Needed!

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 21-11-2017, 05:35 PM   #1
BoistyBear

Default Brew Kettle Advice Needed!

Hi everyone!

I'm finally about to move to somewhere with enough room to brew again!

I've been two years out of the loop but it's time for me to finally get back to it. From my previous stint as a home brewer I have a cooler mash tun with sparge arm, and all the post boil kit required to make beer. The only thing I'm missing is a kettle that will double as HLT and boiler. I made my own one previously from Tesco kettle elements and a big bucket - but it always felt a little dodgy as I could never get the covers on the connections quite right and open elements scared me a bit! Also - I quite like the idea of finding something electric and shiny (means if I ever have to move to the garage I don't have to then get a burner etc.)

With Santa's visit just around the corner - budget isn't too much of a concern for me but sub £150/£200 would be ideal. I'm not keen on something like the ACE brew systems/grainfather etc. as I like to keep my method a bit closer to the traditional 3 vessel where possible. That being said the kettle will be doubling as HLT so i envision brew day looking like Kettle heating strike water on counter --> gravity feed into mash tun on chair --> Gravity feed and sparge into FV on the floor --> swap kettle and FV to gravity feed into kettle again --> Kettle back up onto the side for the boil. Obviously if I do some no sparge beers then I'll just feed straight from mash tun into kettle then put it back up on the side.

I plan to brew up to 5 gal brews as I'm looking to pick up cornys in the not too distant future (the PTSD of bottling still lives with me) and I can't ever see myself needing more than a corny worth of beer for the forseeable future.

Hopefully I've given you just enough (and not way too much) info to help me out!

Old 21-11-2017, 05:44 PM   #2
Bigcol49

Liked 838 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 249

Hi!
I have the 30 litre ACE boiler. It's available here: http://www.elyacatering.co.uk/p/9063...-tun-30l-.html

Old 21-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #3
GerritT

Liked 102 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 554

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcol49 View Post
Hi!
I have the 30 litre ACE boiler. It's available here: http://www.elyacatering.co.uk/p/9063...-tun-30l-.html
Oooh nice and shiny, and 11 Amp. How long does it take to get 25 liters from 60º tapwater to boiling?

Old 21-11-2017, 06:52 PM   #4
mozza

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Could go down the DIY route again? I built my own and the quality / ease of fixing something if it breaks is worth the effort

Mozza

Old 21-11-2017, 07:11 PM   #5
TartanSpecial

Liked 358 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 204

I've got one of these. Only downside is its only 27ltrs so I need to boil 2-3ltrs in a pot on the stove until evaporation makes enough room in the boiler. Otherwise it performes well as HLT/Boiler and is on offer at Homebrew shop.
https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk...in/ca000001.pl
�£138 is a good price
Next time I'd probably go for 30-33ltr to accommodate all the wort in one go but I've got used to my 'system'.

Old 21-11-2017, 07:33 PM   #6
Bigcol49

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerritT View Post
Oooh nice and shiny, and 11 Amp. How long does it take to get 25 liters from 60º tapwater to boiling?
Hi!
Sorry, can't help you - I haven't timed it.

Old 21-11-2017, 09:48 PM   #7
Wilfy

Liked 108 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 153

I’ve got this. Looks topper.

https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk...ic-Boiler.html
#13 Red Ale Simcoe/Mosaic
Brewing
#12 Hoppy APA
Conditioning
Nowt
Drinking
Nowt

Old 21-11-2017, 09:51 PM   #8
mcphail

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I have one of the Burco 30 litre boilers. It is cheap and effective and shiny. But 30 litres would fill it to the top. The "Max" boil level is at 26 litres and the most I've dared boil so far is 24.5 litres. It would be fine for a US 5 gallon batch, but not for UK gallons.

Old 27-11-2017, 01:17 PM   #9
Chrislane

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcol49 View Post
Hi!
This looks a great price. Is there anything to be aware of if i was intending to get this to mash and boil in? (Apologies if there is a thread elsewhere on this)

Old 27-11-2017, 01:51 PM   #10
Bigcol49

Hi!
The ACE from Elya Catering doesn't come with a false bottom and grain bag; I ordered mine from ACE on ebay and it came with the bag and false bottom.
The false bottom would be very easy to make yourself - if you're not a DIY fan you could get perforated stainless steel cut to the correct size - there will be someone close to you who'll do that. I lay a pressure cooker gasket on top of the false bottom to prevent grain from slipping down the edge - it isn't a perfect fit. I don't use the filter on the outlet tap - other members said that it clogs up too easily.
I don't use my grain bag - I don't BIAB.
Although it is double walled and insulated, I fastened an exercise mat around mine - it isn't pretty, but it does the job.
They are rated at 2500W, but mine has two elements, 1600W and 900W; the 900W has been disconnected at the factory, but I've modded mine so that both elements work independently.
ACE don't seem to stock these any longer and I haven't seen them in the UK except on this Elya website.
It's a good vessel for mashing and boiling, especially if you are going to BIAB. I don't BIAB, so I collect the wort in a FV, clean out the ACE and pour the wort back into the ACE to boil.
Chrislane Likes This