Burco Boiler Brews and Sparge advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paydoogs

Reaction score
I've enjoyed doing the simple stove AG BIAB's and I've started to brew a german style lager with the stepped mash process - so I'm looking at getting a boiler to make bigger brews and simplify the process even further!

I've surfed the forum and I'm trying to get my head around the Burco mash and sparge (there is a thread but can't see the photos)! Can anyone confirm to see that I'm on the right track?

So here goes.. for a 10L brew for example:
At the moment, using the Stove top - 2kg grain in 6L mash with say 9L for sparging then boil the total amount - fine
With the Burco - do you mash with the 15L to start with, then sparge using the existing wort and suspended grain bag with the temp control set up at 80C? And how long would you sparge the grains for - 10mins?

I would still like to use the BIAB method but in a Burco with no additional stove pots if possible.

Any help appreciated, many thanks. :thumb:

Hi!
This seems to be the method used by BIABers:
Following the mash, raise the bag out of the Burco and squeeze - some use a large colander to support the bag on top of the Burco.
Run off the wort in a fermentation bucket, replace the bag in the Burco and then sparge. After the sparge, squeeze the bag and discard.
Pour the wort from the fermentation bucket into the Burco and proceed with the boil.

If you are just doing 10L brews in a 30L Burco I would mash with the full volume of water and at the end, lift the bag and squeeze it.

You only really need to worry about sparging if you need to increase the volume in your kettle before you start the boil.

Sparging with BIAB can squeeze a little bit more efficiency out of the brew but from the sounds of things you would prefer to keep things simple.

I suppose I would still have to heat up the sparge using kettles or pots to get it up to a reasonable temperature for the Burco to start with . . .

Hi!
Simon82's method is excellent for simplicity - doing without a sparge makes things so much easier.
If you do want to sparge, keep the bag supported over the first runnings of wort in the fermentation bucket, heat up the sparge water in the Burco and dunk sparge - dunk the bag into the sparge water for however long you need to sparge.

I have a Burco Cygnet 30l and found that you are better to do the full mash in the boiler as you can maintain the temp a lot easier plus you can do a Maxi BIAB.
Using your thermometer you can calibrate the boiler settings bearing in mind that your dial is a regulator allowing you too choose between the settings.

Screenshot_2017-11-22-18-01-00.png

That looks good Gerryjo.
That's why I'm putting it on my Christmas list:
- a bigger batch brew
- stepped mash temps
- rolling boil
- price good
I would like one before Christmas though!

Latest posts

Back