Beginner Coopers Lager kit - Which yeast, which enhancer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeCMorgan

Reaction score
I've recently purchased the Coopers Lager kit (https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Coopers_40_pint_Lager_Beer_Kit.html), which comes with Brew Enhancer 1. I've also purchased a Copers Bootmaker Pale Ale kit (https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/coopers-bootmaker-pale-ale-beer-kit.html), as well as SafAle-US 05 yeast as I've read it's meant to be a lot better than the yeast supplied with the kits.

I'd like the brew the Lager first, however I've read that BE1 + SafAle-US 05 + Coopers Lager kit may not be the best combination. I was hoping that someone may be able to point me in the right direction regarding a nice tasting, easy to make beginners Lager, using the lager kit. As in, which is the best yeast and best BE to use with this kit (I'm aware it's all personal preference, but as I've never done this before I'm just hoping for a Lager that I can drink and tastes half decent...). I've read about DME's and LME's and am just getting a bit confused as to what's best to use for a first brew.

If anyone can also offer advice on the best way to brew the Bootmaker Pale Ale as well that would be great.

With both kits I'm happy to experiment a bit (if recommended).

Thanks in advance,
Joe

I've done the lager once and it was pretty good. I just used the can of lme, the yeast supplied and whatever brew enhancer they recommended.

I did make a citra hop tea and added this at bottling time (50g) if I remember right.

Can't really offer much more than that I'm afraid. But overall it was a good enough pint and I was sad to see it go at the weekend.

Hi Joe

I've tried a Cooper's Australian Lager kit and others and they've turned out pretty well.
I use the yeast supplied with the kit and if I remember correctly, I used LME for the lager and DME for the ales.
Once I was comfortable I started to experiment with a wheat beer kit using coriander seeds and orange peel etc.
Saying that though - I still prefer to brew AG BIAB :-)

One of my best received brews was the Cooper's lager, brew enhancer #2 and the crossmyloof California common yeast. I did ferment that at 17.5C, which might have helped. A previous Cooper's lager with enhancer #1 and standard yeast was a bit thin, fruity and artificial.

If you don't have temperature control you'd probably be as well with the supplied yeast.

IMG_20170607_220826229.jpg

The coopers euro lager, if that is what you have is a true lager yeast. You will need to maintain a steady temp somewhere between 12-15 I think is good.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm going to use the yeast that's supplied with the tin, but I can't seem to find the pitching/fermentation temperatures anywhere online. Does anybody know?

The details are on the inside of the label on the tin. I’d personally pitch at 20-21, and ferment at around that, leaving it in the fermenter for at least 2 weeks [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks Norfolk! I pitched at 21 and it seems to have gone well. Checking on the brew this morning I've noticed that the temp last night dropped down to around 19, what's the best way of keeping it at a constant temp/warming it up? Is my brew still going to be okay now it's dropped below 21?

Also, I was hoping that someone could give me a few pros and cons for leaving the brew fermenting for longer, i.e. 2 weeks as opposed to the 6ish days that the kit recommends.

Thanks again

Your yeast will start to generate heat today, so don't try to heat up your room or you'll go too high. Slightly too low is much better than slightly too high, especially for a lager.

6 days is far too short, in my opinion. 2--4 weeks is good.

Thanks mcphail, it's sitting at around 20 now, is that okay for this yeast do you think?
The Coopers Lager kit (not their Euro lager) comes with an ale yeast so if you can keep your brew at a room at a steady 19-20*C it will be fine.
You may also find this of help
Basic beginners guide to brewing your own beer from a kit - The HomeBrew Forum
Finally Coopers kit yeasts are usually quite adequate for their needs and imo really don't need substituting. The only time they might need a little help is if you are fermenting the Euro lager or their 86day pilsner which are supplied with lager yeasts and if fermented at low lager fermentation temperatures may need additional lager yeast to ensure they ferment out as intended

Latest posts

Back