Bock?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kakistos_uk

kakistos_uk
Reaction score
Hi Folks

Does anyone have an extract recipe for a bock? I've read it is very full bodied and not very bitter/low IBU. My type of beers.

Any thoughts would be good.

The only thing I could find was a double coopers kit (2 x 1.5 kg) and a can of light lme.

Thanks!
:thumb:

The problem with brewing an extract bock is that they are generally brewed with a good portion of munich malt. Now you can get munich LME but it's rare and expensive (I think Briess make it). To do the style properly you would probably have to do it AG or at least partial mash. If you're brewing extract already then all you need is a muslin sheet or a voile curtain or something and you could do BIAB :D

Bock's and Dunkels are as you say low IBU and full bodied. You'll also ideally need a brew fridge as they are of course lagers. And as steve say's you may have trouble sourcing the ingredients.

However, there is an alternative, Scottish Shilling beers (60/-,70/-, 80/- Wee heavy). These are similarly full bodied and low IBU and you may not need munich extract depending on what reciepe you use. You also dont need to lager them as they're ales. I would recommend though 'splashing out' on the correct liquid yeast as afaik there is no dry equivalent for scottish liquid strains and this is what give them a lot of their maltyness

Latest posts

Back