Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Wine & Cider Discussions > How much yeast?

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 24-11-2017, 09:27 PM   #1
OlliesDad

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default How much yeast?

I usually pick up a sachet of yeast and a tub of nutrient from a well known high street shop that sounds like Bilko.

Whether I am making a one gallon demi-john or 23lt bucket load I have always only chucked in one sachet, though I might varythe nutrient a bit.

Today, I visited my local(ish) brewshop and picked up some yeast and nutrient. The bloke in the shop said there was enough to do 5 litres.

Does this mean that I should really be using more yeast for larger vessels? I can see that it might take a little longer to get a fermentation going if you have less yeast, but surely it will multiply as long as there is sugar to consume?
freester Likes This 
Old 24-11-2017, 10:03 PM   #2
freester

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 133

I don't think you're wrong at all. A sachet for me is what I use for a bucket (aka fermenting vessel, bin, brewing bucket etc etc). I read somewhere a long time ago if you are fermenting 5L a level teaspoon of dried yeast is fine, for 25L a heaped teaspoon is fine. That isn't a proportional increase in yeast vs volume even for me and my chronic maths.

I think as long as there is enough yeast to eventually outnumber the bad guys in your brew it's all good.

Old 25-11-2017, 12:50 AM   #3
foxy

Liked 97 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliesDad View Post
I usually pick up a sachet of yeast and a tub of nutrient from a well known high street shop that sounds like Bilko.

Whether I am making a one gallon demi-john or 23lt bucket load I have always only chucked in one sachet, though I might varythe nutrient a bit.

Today, I visited my local(ish) brewshop and picked up some yeast and nutrient. The bloke in the shop said there was enough to do 5 litres.

Does this mean that I should really be using more yeast for larger vessels? I can see that it might take a little longer to get a fermentation going if you have less yeast, but surely it will multiply as long as there is sugar to consume?
Did you explain to the vendor of the yeast what you were making and what expected ABV you were aiming for.The amount of yeast required for a 4% to an 8% you are best to use the yeast calculator for your pitch rates, for a stronger beer the yeast cells get stressed and they aren't to keen on the high alcohol content.

Old 25-11-2017, 07:47 AM   #4
OlliesDad

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy View Post
Did you explain to the vendor of the yeast what you were making and what expected ABV you were aiming for.The amount of yeast required for a 4% to an 8% you are best to use the yeast calculator for your pitch rates, for a stronger beer the yeast cells get stressed and they aren't to keen on the high alcohol content.
I just asked for cider yeast. Don't know if it makes a difference between beer / cider but I've had no problems thus far?

Old 25-11-2017, 01:15 PM   #5
Chippy_Tea
THBF_ADMIN.png

Liked 3731 Times on 2946 Posts
Likes Given: 4495

The youngs super wine yeast compound i use says to add 1 heaped teaspoon per 1 gallon demijohn (4.5 litre) so in theory you should use 5 teaspoons in a FV (5 gallons - 22.5 litre)

I was told by a member you can get away with 3 heaped teaspoons in a 5 gallon wine and i have done this many times and never had one fail.

Forum Member Map - if you would like to be added please visit this thread - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/sh...ad.php?t=67013