Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Discussion > Bottling tips - Newbie

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 25-11-2017, 04:57 PM   #1
Jvb

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Bottling tips - Newbie

Hi

I've done 5 or 6 brews using a primary only, bottling using a bottling wand which has a pump action.

It seems quite messy, often stirring up sediment etc. So I was wondering, how do you safely transfer from the primary to a bottling bucket? And how do you make a bottling bucket?

Overall what's the best way to bottle that is quick, efficient, and clean?

Thanks

Old 26-11-2017, 09:11 AM   #2
Joeyriles
Brew Baron

Liked 214 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hi pal, I personally don't use a bottling bucket but I know others do.
I have the same syphon and so I use two things to stop the sediment getting swirled around.
1) A mesh bag around the end of the syphon (bottom end.) This won't help if you really swirl it up but stops any flecks getting in which the bare syphon almost always does.

2) A clamp. I carefully lower the bottom of the syphon and stop it about 2" from the sediment by attaching a clamp at the top. I then do two or three slow pushes on the syphon to get the beer moving.

Everyone has a slightly different bottling method but this has ended up as my preferred way of doing it.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Currently Conditioning:

Der Adler Teutonic Lager (in the keg)

Irish Londoner Stout Porter (Irish malt, English ale yeast from Ringwood Brewery.)

Currently Drinking: everything.

Old 26-11-2017, 09:31 AM   #3
yeastinfection

Liked 259 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 468

You could try filling the syphon first with a starsan mix.then adding carefully to the fv. Then release the starsan untill the beer runs through. At least your syphon isnt in the fv when your priming it.

Old 26-11-2017, 09:45 AM   #4
Cwrw666

Liked 591 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Or you could just fit a tap to your FV and bottle straight from the tap, which is what I do and so much quicker and easier than using a bottle wand.
Some curl-eye kale,
But give I boiled parsnips
And a girt dish o taters
And a pint of good ale.
People Like This 
Old 26-11-2017, 10:18 AM   #5
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4400 Times on 3332 Posts
Likes Given: 4623

I dont have an autosyphon and basically do what Yeastinfection is suggesting.

I take my length of syphon tube and hold it with one hand in a U type shape. I then fill it with starsan with a turkey baster. I then jam the racking cane (remember to put the red clip that holds the racking cane onto the FV, on) in one end and the inline tap in the other (remember to have the tap in the closed position). I then put the racking cane in the FV and then run the syphon into a bowl until all the star san has run out and the beer starts to flow. Job done. It's a lot easier to do than to describe btw

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king" - William Shakespeare

Old 26-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #6
Clint

Liked 1122 Times on 830 Posts
Likes Given: 269

I use an auto syphon from fv to bottling bucket;batch prime then bottle using the attached wand over the open dishwasher.

Old 26-11-2017, 11:52 AM   #7
Gunge

Liked 924 Times on 656 Posts
Likes Given: 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwrw666 View Post
Or you could just fit a tap to your FV and bottle straight from the tap, which is what I do and so much quicker and easier than using a bottle wand.
Me too. There can't be a simpler or better way.
Redron Likes This 
Old 26-11-2017, 12:00 PM   #8
Saisonator

Liked 144 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 145

I have taps on all my buckets and bottle using 'little bottler' straight from the primary.
I bottle prime with between 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of sugar per bottle, never had any problems.

Old 26-11-2017, 12:48 PM   #9
Gunge

Liked 924 Times on 656 Posts
Likes Given: 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saisonator View Post
I have taps on all my buckets and bottle using 'little bottler' straight from the primary.
Don't you find that the first few pints drawn off to be incredibly yeasty cos of all the stuff that has accumulated in the tap bore, and that the beer will naturally be cloudier towards the bottom of the FV anyway? This is why I transfer to a bottling bucket; to ensure uniformity of the beer being bottled.

Old 26-11-2017, 01:32 PM   #10
Saisonator

Liked 144 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunge View Post
Don't you find that the first few pints drawn off to be incredibly yeasty cos of all the stuff that has accumulated in the tap bore, and that the beer will naturally be cloudier towards the bottom of the FV anyway? This is why I transfer to a bottling bucket; to ensure uniformity of the beer being bottled.
It is usuall only the first one or two bottles effected, I just drink those bottles first and chuck away the last third of a bottle with the yeast in. The most I loose is 2/3 of a bottle of beer per batch, which I prefer than having to clean another FV.
It also reduces the level of oxidation a bit, although that's probably negligible really, as it is going to be primed in the bottle.
Gunge Likes This 

Tags
bottling, bottling wand