Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Wine & Cider Discussions > But the cider is awful

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 27-11-2017, 03:21 PM   #11
Cwrw666

Liked 591 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 172

First time I made cider from windfall apples it was so acidic I could have spent 10 years or so in prison had I chucked it in someones face. I drank it though - by stirring in a couple of spoonfulls of sugar plus one of bicarb into every glass...
Fact is, real cider doesn't taste like anything you'll ever buy in a bottle labelled `cider' down the supermarket.
Some curl-eye kale,
But give I boiled parsnips
And a girt dish o taters
And a pint of good ale.

Old 28-11-2017, 07:52 AM   #12
MattH1973

Liked 56 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyhibbett View Post
It's worth noting that the legal definition of cider is that it is made with a minimum of 35% apple juice. That would certainly take care of the acidity issue. My recent brew was cyser (apple mead). In the end it was 25% bramley and 25% my own 'dessert' apple juice + honey and water and even that required acid reduction to make it palatable. I was hoping that a malolactic fermentation might take place and halve the acidity, but honey contains a natural preservative (hydrogen peroxide) and unhelpfully the lactobacilli don't like high acidity.
helpful post. So I assume supermarket cider is basically 65% water and a bunch of sugar to make up the alcohol. That explains why my homemade (up to 25% water, no added sugar) is so much better...

Old 28-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #13
tonyhibbett

Liked 125 Times on 118 Posts

Possibly. The manufacturers of alcoholic drinks are not required to state quantities of fruit used, unlike foodstuffs such as juice. They are entitled to protect their recipes as intellectual rights.
Small vineyard, currently 20 pinot noir, 4 rondo, 1 bacchus, 8 riesling, 2 dunkelfelder, 3 brandt, 3 regent, 2 flame, 3 strawberry grape, 1 phoenix, 3 vrogen van der laan, 1 chasselas dore, 4 chardonnay, 8 frankenthaler, 4 pinot blanc, 10 cabernet sauvignon, 2 Marechal Foch. 1 semillion, 4 madeleine angevine

Old 29-11-2017, 08:36 PM   #14
Deltabrew

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattH1973 View Post
helpful post. So I assume supermarket cider is basically 65% water and a bunch of sugar to make up the alcohol. That explains why my homemade (up to 25% water, no added sugar) is so much better...
That's why I make make the best cider (pause)

In The World.

'Cause it's 100%

Old 30-11-2017, 08:12 AM   #15
MattH1973

Am I being compared to Clarkson ? I can live with that....

Joking aside, this thread has inspired me to read around the issue of what it is in the cider we buy at the supermarket. Unsurprisingly, many of the major brands are less than 50% apple juice, a bunch of cheap sugar such as corn syrup, and other odds and ends.

Homemade cider with no added sugar is much more like a weak apple wine. it's night and day different. Better.

I'm now on a mission to find out what craft ciders, that are actually something to do with apple juice, I can buy commercially that are somewhere as good as the home made. That can easily be done for about £8 per litre (Cambridge Cider company is a good one near me), but I'm hopeful some bargains will be found. if there's interest I can start a thread.

of course, if I can ramp up my own production over the next few years this wont be needed.

Old 30-11-2017, 12:27 PM   #16
Deltabrew

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

It's his style of speaking I was referring to, more here:

The only time I buy commercial cider is to compare against mine, we went to a food and drink festival in Summer and all the craft ciders were watered down too.

Old 30-11-2017, 05:09 PM   #17
jojorose

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ive just made my first batches of cider using crab apples. I dont know what type of apples they are but as im new to the house i picked the first batch when i thought they were ready and made cider from a bucketful. At tasting it was vile. The remaining apples became the most glorious red so i picked them and had another go, having tasted the previous batch i added a couple of apple juice cartons. At tasting that was bland so i put the two batches together and rebottled. It actually tastes ok now.

I had a point. oh yes why not plant a crab apple tree to your orchard? Will give you the sharpness you need.
Drunk: Geordie Yorkshire Bitter. Tom Caxtons Best Bitter, BlackCherry Youngs wine kit

Old 01-12-2017, 08:28 AM   #18
MattH1973

I think crab apples are better if used as a small component of total apples in cider making......

The other benefit of crab apple trees is that they are supposed to be very versatile in the fertilisation of other varieties....
AppleJack Likes This 
Old 02-12-2017, 02:31 PM   #19
AppleJack

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You could make a cider with more body to it and blend the two, according to your taste. I know! That begs a question... Cider making from whole fruit is traditionally a seasonal thing, but it doesn't necessarily have to be. I've made batches of cider from shop bought fruit that turned out pretty good and it's a good time of year to give it a go. Aim for an OG. of 1040° or so, and to finish fermentation around the 1010° mark, rack off the lees and cold stabilise outdoors, then rack again. Stabilise with MBS and Kmeta if you feel the need. At a SG. of 1006° the residual sugars will give your cider the body you desire. Cheers.
GerritT Likes This 
Old 03-12-2017, 06:40 PM   #20
Aqualung

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info everyone. For those who wanted to know. The recipe-
1 gallon of juice and let them ferment with natural yeast.
The alcohol is there, not too strong, but it is like drinking weak apple juice.

I tried two more batches but this time I added general purpose yeast to one and some grape powder to the other. They are clearing at the moment.

I sampled both this weekend. The one without grape powder is stronger but quite bland. I took a shot glass of this and added a drop of lemon juice which made it much more palatable. so I have added the juice of a lemon and an orange while it clears.

The one with grape powder tastes like a rough apple wine. I will give it six months after it clears and see what I get.

It has been an interesting read and thanks for the ideas.