Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Recipe Discussion > Oatmeal stout - thoughts welcome please

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 29-11-2017, 09:51 AM   #11
Ciaran12s

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Got it brewed up last night and it's currently bubbling away quite happily.

Final recipe bwcame;
4700 pale malt
400 oats
250 chocolate
250 roasted barley
250 cara red
100 flaked barley

30 EKG
36 Progress

I hit 26 litres at 1.047 which was 70%. 25litres at 1.049 at 70% was the target so happy enough with that.

That's my 4th AG and things get better and smoother every time. There was however issues with sparging as usual. Ended up being around two hours altogether. I started it off very slow and it went great for about 5 litres then just stopped. Quite a bit of blowing back up the tube and underletting sparge water etc. After a few of these and some messing around it started coming thick and fast. It could be the oats etc but I really need to sort a better filter out.
Any recommendations? 15mm manifold, stainless braid?

There was a fair bit of trug got through to the fv. I drained really slowly through a sieve and left about 2 litres in the boiler but the trug is up to about 3 litres in the fv. Again a better filtration system required here. Stainless braid for the boiler? Any filters which just work well and don't clog up too badly?

With my current setup sparging is a bit crap really. I've yet to set it so that the flow out matches the flow in. Hopefully I'll get this ironed out soon. What sort of temperature should the mash tun be at during the sparge? I believe 80 is max but I'm more concerned about the minimum as that's probably where I'm at.

Old 29-11-2017, 12:23 PM   #12
Gunge

Liked 905 Times on 644 Posts
Likes Given: 1030

Until recently I've used a 15mm slotted copper manifold. About 10 brews ago I used a SS braid and used it ever since. No hint whatsoever of a stuck mash regardless of grist make-up. In fact, it flows so freely the temptation is to run off way too fast. And unlike the copper manifold it takes about 10 seconds to rinse clean!
Ciaran12s Likes This 
Old 29-11-2017, 12:46 PM   #13
Ciaran12s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunge View Post
Until recently I've used a 15mm slotted copper manifold. About 10 brews ago I used a SS braid and used it ever since. No hint whatsoever of a stuck mash regardless of grist make-up. In fact, it flows so freely the temptation is to run off way too fast. And unlike the copper manifold it takes about 10 seconds to rinse clean!
I was leaning towards that anyway but that's decided it. Cheers!

1 metre? 50cm?

Old 29-11-2017, 12:51 PM   #14
Gunge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaran12s View Post
I was leaning towards that anyway but that's decided it. Cheers!

1 metre? 50cm?
Not sure without digging it out, but it runs from the tap of my Colemans Extreme mashtun to the back wall in a straight line. Just make sure that the braid is neither stretched or compressed or the tiny openings will close-up.

Old 29-11-2017, 01:11 PM   #15
Gunge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyQul View Post
I made a stout once which had loads of chocolate malt and no roasted barley in it once. It tasted fine but to me it tasted like a porter rather than a stout.

Edit: It was the burton bridge top dog stout from BYOBRA. I had 365g of choccy. So I'm thinking yours will end up more porter-y than stout-y too
I don't know if I made a porter or a stout yesterday.... it had 250g choc, 250g carafa III and yep you guessed it - 500g flaked barley! Porter/Stout.... what's the distinction anyway?

Old 29-11-2017, 01:17 PM   #16
Ciaran12s

Thanks for the tip! I'm off to screwfix! Got another brew planned in for the weekend.

Old 29-11-2017, 02:06 PM   #17
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4393 Times on 3330 Posts
Likes Given: 4622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunge View Post
I don't know if I made a porter or a stout yesterday.... it had 250g choc, 250g carafa III and yep you guessed it - 500g flaked barley! Porter/Stout.... what's the distinction anyway?
As a rough rule of thumb a porter will have black malt or no roasted barley in it whereas a stout will have roasted barley. Of course as you know, nowadays homebrewers and craft brewer have gone all 'freestyle' on what constitutes a particular beer style

If the beer you made yesterday had no roasted barley in it, beer nazi, Oberfuhrer MyQul would say you made a porter

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king" - William Shakespeare

Gunge Likes This 
Old 29-11-2017, 04:26 PM   #18
chub1

Liked 681 Times on 536 Posts
Likes Given: 835

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyQul View Post
As a rough rule of thumb a porter will have black malt or no roasted barley in it whereas a stout will have roasted barley. Of course as you know, nowadays homebrewers and craft brewer have gone all 'freestyle' on what constitutes a particular beer style

If the beer you made yesterday had no roasted barley in it, beer nazi, Oberfuhrer MyQul would say you made a porter
Yup
quite often porters had brown and black malts.

Old 29-11-2017, 05:18 PM   #19
Alside101

Liked 63 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I have a false bottom for my peco boilerits like 1 of those things you put on a frying pan for it spiting. All the trub gets stuck on that with the hops. It works really well. 1 of these

https://www.geterbrewed.com/stainless-steel-false-bottom-for-peco-boiler/
Attached Thumbnails
received_10159263283475113.jpg  

Old 29-11-2017, 06:31 PM   #20
Ciaran12s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alside101 View Post
I have a false bottom for my peco boilerits like 1 of those things you put on a frying pan for it spiting. All the trub gets stuck on that with the hops. It works really well. 1 of these

https://www.geterbrewed.com/stainless-steel-false-bottom-for-peco-boiler/
I had considered that previously. Id have to make something to fit my rectangular tun so that could have worked out quite expensive. I'm going to get a metre of braid and use half in the tun and half in the boiler. I'll see how that goes and if I'm still getting trub to the fv I'll probably get the spit guard.

I've seen them in supermarkets and they look about the right diameter but I've never actually measured. Kick myself every time I see one.