Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Brewdays! > 4th brew- Wilkos dark velvet stout

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 26-11-2017, 10:04 PM   #11
Thumper

Liked 166 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 466

I'm rapidly beginning to feel I've made a mistake here I was under the impression a tin of black treacle was a fairly common addition to a stout kit, Lord knows where I got that idea.

Old 26-11-2017, 10:04 PM   #12
terrym

Liked 1602 Times on 1158 Posts
Likes Given: 703

If you can get to a Holland and Barretts shop tomorrow buy a 1lb jar of their liquid malt extract and pour that into your brew as soon as you can. That should sort out the low OG. If you leave it long enough the yeasties will soon munch their way through the extra malt.
That said I have to agree with others that you may find you have overdone the black treacle. So we all await your comments after you have opened the first one in the New Year.
Old 26-11-2017, 10:23 PM   #13
Thumper

I've had another read through your link and there's quite a few people using a 454g tin of treacle, so at least I didn't make it up! I had a sip out of the trial jar and it's definitely treacle, but not at all unpleasant. I'm tempted to just tell myself that marmite and treacle have more in common than just the colour, but I'm painfully aware that it's still sweet at the moment and may change quite drastically once the yeast go to work

Temp is now down to about 23c and gravity is about 1037. So still lower than I wanted; I may try your trick

Old 27-11-2017, 12:22 AM   #14
Godsdog

Liked 717 Times on 506 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I've had another read through your link and there's quite a few people using a 454g tin of treacle, so at least I didn't make it up! I had a sip out of the trial jar and it's definitely treacle, but not at all unpleasant. I'm tempted to just tell myself that marmite and treacle have more in common than just the colour, but I'm painfully aware that it's still sweet at the moment and may change quite drastically once the yeast go to work

Temp is now down to about 23c and gravity is about 1037. So still lower than I wanted; I may try your trick
on top of overdoing the black treacle,wilkos velvet stout is a pisspoor kit imo and youd be better off buying the coopers one can kit stout for a far superior brew for a couple of quid more,experience will learn you this over the years and its not to say ALL Wilko one can kits are crap,they aintbut do need a tweak or two

Old 27-11-2017, 08:39 AM   #15
terrym

Liked 1602 Times on 1158 Posts
Likes Given: 703

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsdog View Post
youd be better off buying the coopers one can kit stout for a far superior brew for a couple of quid more,
I prefer the Irish to the Original. However it can be a bit more expensive and is not always available whereas the Original seems to be stocked by most outlets. That said both produce a really good pint, and must be up there with the best kits you can buy.

Old 27-11-2017, 10:05 AM   #16
Thumper

Wilkos had neither, and I wanted one I could tweak. I quite fancy trying a coopers stout, but should be getting some BIAB equipment for Xmas so probably won't need to.

Old 27-11-2017, 01:34 PM   #17
ilikebeer

Likes Given: 5

On a similar subject, I did the Wilko velvet stout kit with half a tin of cocoa powder. It tastes quite good, a bit of a chocolate flavour, not too much. I'd quite like to do another batch, but the only thing is that there are white bits floating in it! They don't smell or taste bad, and seem harmless, but obviously it would be better without them. Any ideas please? Could this be to do with the cocoa?

Old 27-11-2017, 01:41 PM   #18
chub1

Liked 685 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 840

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeer View Post
On a similar subject, I did the Wilko velvet stout kit with half a tin of cocoa powder. It tastes quite good, a bit of a chocolate flavour, not too much. I'd quite like to do another batch, but the only thing is that there are white bits floating in it! They don't smell or taste bad, and seem harmless, but obviously it would be better without them. Any ideas please? Could this be to do with the cocoa?
Never used cocoa but possibly fat solids seperated from it!!!!
ilikebeer Likes This 
Old 28-11-2017, 08:18 PM   #19
Thumper

So I bought two 454g jars of malt extract from H&B today. I dissolved them in some hot water, took a hydrometer reading, and added it in. Sterilised a spoon with some antibacterial kitchen spray, gave it a good rinse under hot water, and stirred the malt in well. The krausen was already pretty decent, and me stirring bubbled it up practically to the rim of the FV.

The gravity was at 1004, taking into account my dodgy hydrometer. 2 days after pitching! That yeast is a beast!

Adding the malt brought it back up to 1020, adding 16 points to the gravity. So that's a total OG of 1046. So assuming the yeast gets this back down to 1004, that's an ABV of 6%, which is about what I wanted.

Had a sip out of the trial jar, and I have to say it's very nice! You can taste the treacle but it's not at all overpowering. Its not very bitter or overly roasty, to be honest, so I might end up with something more like a mild. Not that I'm complaining! This is looking like it could turn out really nicely!

Old 28-11-2017, 08:29 PM   #20
chub1

Liked 685 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 840

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Wilkos had neither, and I wanted one I could tweak. I quite fancy trying a coopers stout, but should be getting some BIAB equipment for Xmas so probably won't need to.
Once you do biab you won't return to kits
Thumper Likes This