Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kit Brewing Discussion. > Yeast advice

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 28-11-2017, 11:01 AM   #1
kakistos_uk
kakistos_uk

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Talking Yeast advice

Hi Folks

This forum seems to suggest that trusting the yeast given in a kit might be a daft thing to do.

Can you advise a good source for learning more about which yeasts you should use?

Thanks, as always!

Old 28-11-2017, 11:28 AM   #2
Sadfield

Liked 429 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

It's not so much as the type of yeast, more about the age and amount supplied. Buy yeast that has a use by date and pitch enough. Usually 11-13g for 20L of average strength beer.

My personal preference if using dry yeast is for Fermentis or Lallemand, but Mangrove Jacks, Crossmyloof and Wilkos Gervin all get good recommendations.
Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Old 28-11-2017, 11:54 AM   #3
Old_P

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Discussions on yeast can be long and confusing when you first start looking into it. But with anything, start with the basics and at your own pace build on your knowledge. In a short time you will understand the basics, which is enough for most home brewers. Then when your ready and if your inclined you may want to start reclaiming yeast from one of your brews, storing and then making a yeast starter for your next brew. This is not only fun, but can save you some cash as well

Old 30-11-2017, 08:30 AM   #4
kakistos_uk
kakistos_uk

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Good advice from you both. Many thanks!

Old 09-12-2017, 02:33 AM   #5
Clandestine

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

is the amount of yest supplied really an issue? surely it multiplies itself as it gets to fermenting?
granted, it will increase the time needed, but given god-like patience (of which i'll admit i dont have).
Dutto Likes This 
Old 09-12-2017, 03:40 AM   #6
Dutto
Dutto

Liked 1848 Times on 1308 Posts
Likes Given: 3983

It's also possible to make a starter from the yeast given in a kit. This ensures that the yeast in the kit is viable and also increases the number of yeast cells available.

Here's a link to preparing a Yeast Starter ...

Here's a link to making a Stir-Plate ...

... and a photograph of the stir-plate that I knocked up. (It now has "Remove Spinner" written on it as a reminder to do just that before pitching the yeast. )

Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Stir Plate.jpg  

Living more in hope than expectation; and seldom disappointed.

Drinking
Coopers Stout Kit + Grain (15/06/17)
AG Vienna Lager with Hallertau (12/11/17)
Wilco's Hoppy Copper Bitter (12/11/17)
Wilco's Pilsner with Lowicz Cherry Syrup (12/11/17)
AG Low ABV Pale Ale (19/11/17)

Carbonating/Conditioning
Spiced Pumpkin Ale

Fermenting
Golden Pumpkin Ale
AG Oatmeal Stout

Note:
(**/**/**) = Date ready to drink.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:37 AM   #7
Zephyr259

Liked 92 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clandestine View Post
is the amount of yest supplied really an issue? surely it multiplies itself as it gets to fermenting?
granted, it will increase the time needed, but given god-like patience (of which i'll admit i dont have).
It can be, if you don't pitch enough yeast it has to grow more which will stress it, producing extra esters and potentially failing to finish the fermentation. How much of an under-pitch you can get away with is less clear. Slow starts also give more of a chance for an infection to take hold.

Orange Blossom Mead, Blackcurrant Wine

Conditioning
Belgian Brunette
Farmhouse Saison

Fermenting
Greg Hughes Bock

Planned
Barleywine Braggot, Scottish 80/-

Old 09-12-2017, 09:54 AM   #8
terrym

Liked 1612 Times on 1167 Posts
Likes Given: 717

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakistos_uk View Post
This forum seems to suggest that trusting the yeast given in a kit might be a daft thing to do.
I don't know where the idea comes from that all kit yeasts can't be trusted. From someone who does kits, as a start point, I would only replace the 6g packet of yeast that comes with some Muntons kits e.g Wherry, Sundew, and even this is now being addressed by Muntons who say they will be increasing the yeast weight provided. Plus the yeast that Muntons provide is fine, there just isn't enough of it at 6g for a 20+ litre brew as was discussed at length on here recently. As for Coopers one can yeasts, I have always found them to be reliable, all of them, straight out of the packet, given there are several different sorts provided. So the only time I would consider changing a kit yeast of necessity is if it was nearing the sell by date for the kit, or if I was wanting to brew a lager at low temperatures which requires more yeast than would probably be provided with the kit.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:11 PM   #9
Godsdog

Liked 718 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 376

Wilko kit yeast is only 6 gram but does a 23 litre job marvellously with a pretty consistent high attenuation, which is rather contradictory of the same yeast weight in the woodefords kits

Old 09-12-2017, 12:15 PM   #10
Ciaran12s

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I've done maybe a dozen kits now and always used the kit yeast sprinkled on top after a good aeration beating with the spoon. Never had an issue.

One did start slowly but that's because I'd taken the temperature down to about 16C. Once it came up the yeast took off and it's a lovely beer