Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kit Brewing Discussion. > Barley Wine

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:41 AM   #1
kakistos_uk
kakistos_uk

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Barley Wine

I really like malt heavy beers, I'm not a bitter/hop heavy fan.

Everything I've read suggests that I'd like barley wine. Has anyone done one? Is there a kit you can recommend?

Any kits you done and additions that you can recommend?

I'm not particularly fussed about it being strong (ABV), just malty.

Thanks as always!

Old 01-12-2017, 11:07 AM   #2
IainM

Liked 798 Times on 559 Posts
Likes Given: 369

Barley wine is, by definition, a very strong beer. If you want something malt forward then perhaps a Scottish brew or a mild would be good. Geordie do both as kits, though I haven't tried them.
Conditioning: BBNo1:1 Citra saison, Chevallier bitter, Blackberry wine, Elderberry wine, Plum wine
Drinking: Cwtch, Bures Gold, Perry, Cider, Gales Festival Mild (GW clone), RIS, Winebuddy Merlot, Mead, Cyser, Melomel
Previous good'uns: RyeIPA, NEDIPA, Bitter (HBF comp 2nd place), Perry from scratch, Hobgob clone, DIYDog Dogma, Mild, BIPA x 3, ginger beer

Old 01-12-2017, 12:15 PM   #3
kakistos_uk
kakistos_uk

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've got a wee heavy bubbling away!

I'd like to try as many different types as I can.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:04 PM   #4
MarkBowie

Liked 73 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Look up the Brewferm kits. They need long time conditioning to smooth out but any time after 4 months they are all lovely. Christmas especially and you will start to see offers on them soon.

Fermenting:

Conditioning: Brewferm Christmas Dark Belgian (with Christmas dried fruit).

Drinking: Black Rock Riwaka Pale (with Mango).

Old 01-12-2017, 02:23 PM   #5
jceg316

Liked 228 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 220

I like barleywines but find them quite hard to pull off, mostly due to impatience. They need long conditioning times, 6 - 12 months, and what I find I get wrong is the bittering hop addition. Because they are so malt heavy, there does need to be a big bittering addition to balance out the flavours, and I have always gone easy on this meaning the barleywines I've made are rich and quite sweet, and usually have alcohol flavours which are a bit too strong. I think that latter bit is down to too warm fermentation temps though.

When I want malt I usually have a german pils/helles or a stout.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:11 PM   #6
BeerCat

Liked 687 Times on 573 Posts
Likes Given: 967

Quote:
Originally Posted by jceg316 View Post
I like barleywines but find them quite hard to pull off, mostly due to impatience. They need long conditioning times, 6 - 12 months, and what I find I get wrong is the bittering hop addition. Because they are so malt heavy, there does need to be a big bittering addition to balance out the flavours, and I have always gone easy on this meaning the barleywines I've made are rich and quite sweet, and usually have alcohol flavours which are a bit too strong. I think that latter bit is down to too warm fermentation temps though.

Exactly how mine come out, sweet without enough bite to balance them out.

Conditioning Dry Irish Stout with CML US yeast

Drinking American Stout, Punk IPA, Kolsch x2, German Lager x2, Mild, Brown Porter, Mead, Melomel

Old 04-12-2017, 09:15 AM   #7
kakistos_uk
kakistos_uk

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I'll have a look at Brewferm.

I've seen a couple from youngs/muntons. I've never used these suppliers - do you have thoughts about them in general?
MarkBowie Likes This 
Old 05-12-2017, 11:42 AM   #8
kakistos_uk
kakistos_uk

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default helles ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jceg316 View Post

I'm not familiar with helles - could you tell me more about which kit/extract recipe you prefer? I'm a big malt lover and want to get a good variety of things I can make.

Thanks!

Old 05-12-2017, 11:52 AM   #9
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4398 Times on 3331 Posts
Likes Given: 4623

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakistos_uk View Post
I'm not familiar with helles - could you tell me more about which kit/extract recipe you prefer? I'm a big malt lover and want to get a good variety of things I can make.

Thanks!
Helles is a German lager. It was originally invented to compete with Pilsners. Although malt forward its fully attenuated and designed to showcase the base malts rather than hops

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king" - William Shakespeare

kakistos_uk Likes This 
Old 05-12-2017, 03:43 PM   #10
jceg316

Liked 228 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakistos_uk View Post

Thanks!
As @MyQul says, it's a German style lager very similar to pilsner. In my experience there is very little difference between the two, I think helles is supposed to be more malt based. I really like Augustiner Helles, which is available Beerhawk and probably other online beer shops.

I don't use kits but have some all grain recipes. If this is useful I'll copy and paste some.

I'd recommend looking into some other German styles which are malt based, like dopplebock, bock, marzen/oktoberfest, maibock etc.