Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Discussion > Is this normal?

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:20 PM   #11
Zephyr259

Liked 91 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by _jon_ View Post
So.. I've just checked it on the refractometer. It's sitting at 1017.. which seems pretty high. Do you think it's stuck?

I missed OG by a country mile, and started at 1039 (was meant to be 1046). So if it's done all it can, it's good for the drain. You think I should give it a mix up and see if the yeast will kick back off?

It's only been in the primary since Monday. But there's no more activity.
Asking the question just to be sure. Are you adjusting the refractometer reading for the presence of alcohol?

Orange Blossom Mead, Blackcurrant Wine

Conditioning
Belgian Brunette
Farmhouse Saison

Fermenting
Greg Hughes Bock

Planned
Barleywine Braggot, Scottish 80/-

Old 01-12-2017, 06:19 PM   #12
_jon_

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr259 View Post
Asking the question just to be sure. Are you adjusting the refractometer reading for the presence of alcohol?

I have absolutely no idea what you just said.. so I’m gonna go with no! Lol. Should I do something special? First time I’ve used a refractomer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-12-2017, 07:05 PM   #13
Zephyr259

Liked 91 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Have a look here. - https://www.brewersfriend.com/refractometer-calculator/ it's a bit confusing, and to get it totally accurate you need to do a bunch of small tests to calibrate your refractometer.

Alcohol affects the reading of a refractometer making it read artificially high. I've not used one myself but done a bit of research as I want one to allow for quicker readings during brew day and not needing 50 - 100 mls per sample during fermenatation, which is especially annoying if doing a 1 gallon batch of mead.

Assuming no correction factor I plugged your figures of 1.039 (9.75 brix) and 1.017 (4.25 brix) into the 2nd calculator and it comes out as an adjusted FG of 1.008 and 4.13%, which is 79.5% apparent attenuation and pretty good.

Hope this helps.

Orange Blossom Mead, Blackcurrant Wine

Conditioning
Belgian Brunette
Farmhouse Saison

Fermenting
Greg Hughes Bock

Planned
Barleywine Braggot, Scottish 80/-

Old 02-12-2017, 08:25 AM   #14
jeg3

Liked 130 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Leave the yeast to do its work.

Most of my wheats have had a pretty vigorous fermentation, but I've had a couple of other types - notably my saison - which fermented slowly but steadily. In the case of the saison it went from 1.044 to 1.020 in five days but eventually finished at 1.002 after another 10 days.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:31 AM   #15
Duxuk

Liked 98 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Nice! Other than missing OG by about a country mile, forgetting the bitter orange peel AND the the corriander seeds.... Maybe, it'll be an okay beer. But it's likely to come in at around 4% and probably be pretty bland.
Try making a simple list of what you're going to do in order..............and I hope you're not drinking whilst brewing young man. It's far too serious a business to cloud it with alcohol.

Andrew.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:19 PM   #16
_jon_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr259 View Post
Have a look here. - https://www.brewersfriend.com/refractometer-calculator/ it's a bit confusing, and to get it totally accurate you need to do a bunch of small tests to calibrate your refractometer.

Alcohol affects the reading of a refractometer making it read artificially high. I've not used one myself but done a bit of research as I want one to allow for quicker readings during brew day and not needing 50 - 100 mls per sample during fermenatation, which is especially annoying if doing a 1 gallon batch of mead.

Assuming no correction factor I plugged your figures of 1.039 (9.75 brix) and 1.017 (4.25 brix) into the 2nd calculator and it comes out as an adjusted FG of 1.008 and 4.13%, which is 79.5% apparent attenuation and pretty good.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the information, I'm going to need to read it properly to digest it. All the recipes I've seen talk about IG, so Brix is just something else to confuse things. And that calculator seems to only work in Brix.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:20 PM   #17
_jon_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duxuk View Post
Try making a simple list of what you're going to do in order..............and I hope you're not drinking whilst brewing young man. It's far too serious a business to cloud it with alcohol.
I must do the list, that's sensible. A bit too sensible for me, but I'll have a play at being a grown up for a bit. Drinking while brewing? That's the only reason I brew! A sober brew day is..... well I don't know what it is! It's never happened lol.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:42 AM   #18
Batlugs

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
So.. I've just checked it on the refractometer. It's sitting at 1017.. which seems pretty high. Do you think it's stuck?

I missed OG by a country mile, and started at 1039 (was meant to be 1046). So if it's done all it can, it's good for the drain. You think I should give it a mix up and see if the yeast will kick back off?

It's only been in the primary since Monday. But there's no more activity.

Surely you need a hydrometer reading as the alcohol will skew the refractometer reading? You can get a true gravity then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 03-12-2017, 09:43 AM   #19
Batlugs

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batlugs View Post
Surely you need a hydrometer reading as the alcohol will skew the refractometer reading? You can get a true gravity then.

Sorry, didn’t read page two!

Old 03-12-2017, 10:55 AM   #20
Braindead

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Maybe your refractometer is out.
I got one from eBay and the readings are way out compared to my hydrometer