Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Discussion > Saison?

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:51 PM   #21
IainM

Liked 803 Times on 564 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirion658 View Post
I've just done a saison and used both WLP and the Wyeast strains in the fermenter. They say they lag at about 1030 but mine went straight through. I based the recipe on a Dupont if you want the recipe pm me.
I used 3711 in a recipe that specified that I should slowly raise it to 27C from the second day to complete. It was already 90% attenuation after 4 days before I'd got to 24C.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:42 AM   #22
Duxuk

Liked 98 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I've brewed 2 saisons this year using Mangrove Jacks M29 (I think?). They were very dry but refreshingly fruity. I used about 40% wheat malt, the rest lager malt. They need time to mature so don't drink it all before it's ready! I still have a couple left so I might have one tonight.
1.054 OG ended as 1.003 which is 6.7%ABV, but it's so light you'd never guess it from the taste.

Andrew.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:37 AM   #23
Sadfield

Liked 429 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Hmm...interesting. Of all the commercial beers mentioned only one from the country that the style originates. DuPont, and described as mild. Of the others, Brewdog, M&S, Nogne Ø, the one labeled as discusting, Nogne Ø is probably closet to style.

This looks very much like when American brewers, brew English Ales based on the reference of exported beers like Boddington and Newcastle Brown, the result is beers like Goose Island Honkers Ale, that miss the subtly and nuance that make British beers great. Or any countries Pilsners that don't measure to the Czech and German beers.

"Inspiration is the impact of a fact on a well-prepared mind" Louis Pasteur

Old 04-12-2017, 11:20 AM   #24
Cwrw666

Liked 591 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 172

The only saison I've bought was a smoked version whilst visiting Pipes brewery in Cardiff. It was very nice - enough so that I brewed my own. First off was a biere de Garde from the Greg Hughes book (B de G is a variety of saison from northern France). I was very impressed - very fruity with banana flavours. Plenty of body. Mine was 6.5% ABV. Only down side was that the yeast, a smackpack of French Saison cost £6.75!!!!
So while I still had the trub from the first brew I got a second out of it but this time I added in some cherry smoked malt. Result was very good, still with the banana flavours, but with an added touch of bonfire.
I can't see the point of adding fruit to it though as it would surely overpower the yeast flavours, and if you're paying that much for yeast you ought to get the most out of it you can!
Some curl-eye kale,
But give I boiled parsnips
And a girt dish o taters
And a pint of good ale.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:58 AM   #25
strange-steve
Quantum Brewer

Liked 957 Times on 637 Posts
Likes Given: 303

It is interesting that the saison has been bastardised with fruit/spice/unusual grains/unnecessary adjuncts etc to the point that Dupont is now considered "mild". If you want to know how a saison "should" taste, get yourself a Dupont and enjoy it in its pure form
Old 04-12-2017, 12:26 PM   #26
Sadfield

I'd make an exception for unusual grains as it fits with the ethos of farmers brewing with what they have. Brasserie Blaugies saison d'epeautre is brewed with Spelt and bloody lovely. I draw the line at Crystal malt though, no place for it in a beer that is meant to be dry. Which harks back to knowing the style and using ingredients and technique that fit. Just because a Saison yeast is used, doesn't make it a Saison.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:21 PM   #27
Saisonator

Liked 144 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwrw666 View Post
The only saison I've bought was a smoked version whilst visiting Pipes brewery in Cardiff. It was very nice - enough so that I brewed my own. First off was a biere de Garde from the Greg Hughes book (B de G is a variety of saison from northern France). I was very impressed - very fruity with banana flavours. Plenty of body. Mine was 6.5% ABV. Only down side was that the yeast, a smackpack of French Saison cost �£6.75!!!!
So while I still had the trub from the first brew I got a second out of it but this time I added in some cherry smoked malt. Result was very good, still with the banana flavours, but with an added touch of bonfire.
I can't see the point of adding fruit to it though as it would surely overpower the yeast flavours, and if you're paying that much for yeast you ought to get the most out of it you can!
The same could be said for adding cherry smoked malt.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:33 PM   #28
AdeDunn

Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Liam, at this point I advise that you go do some research for yourself, and make your own judgement, as all you have here are a bunch of different opinions. A bunch of blind men examining an elephant...

Old 04-12-2017, 02:40 PM   #29
Sadfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeDunn View Post
Liam, at this point I advise that you go do some research for yourself, and make your own judgement, as all you have here are a bunch of different opinions. A bunch of blind men examining an elephant...
I'm pretty sure that IS the trunk I'm holding.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:26 PM   #30
Zephyr259

Liked 92 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Of the limited number of saisons I've drank dupont is the nicest, so I'm well in the camp of keeping it simple / balanced and letting the yeast do it's magic. I'd love to try Brasserie Blaugie's saison d'epeautre as the Wyeast 3726 I've used is apparently sourced from there but it's a tricky beer to get a hold of.

I find Biere de Garde an odd one, most homebrew versions use saison yeast and generally the french versions, but in the book "Farmhouse Ales" the style is apparently meant to be brewed with a clean yeast and most french breweries use a lager yeast as that's what they can get easily from the nearby big breweries. The name is also a marketing device from the 50s (i think) when the French wanted to make the beer they were brewing sound more luxury. Don't get me wrong though, the idea of a richer, malty saison appeals greatly and is on my brew list.

Orange Blossom Mead, Blackcurrant Wine

Conditioning
Belgian Brunette
Farmhouse Saison

Fermenting
Greg Hughes Bock

Planned
Barleywine Braggot, Scottish 80/-