Saison?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just done a saison and used both WLP and the Wyeast strains in the fermenter. They say they lag at about 1030 but mine went straight through. I based the recipe on a Dupont if you want the recipe pm me.

I used 3711 in a recipe that specified that I should slowly raise it to 27C from the second day to complete. It was already 90% attenuation after 4 days before I'd got to 24C.

I've brewed 2 saisons this year using Mangrove Jacks M29 (I think?). They were very dry but refreshingly fruity. I used about 40% wheat malt, the rest lager malt. They need time to mature so don't drink it all before it's ready! I still have a couple left so I might have one tonight.
1.054 OG ended as 1.003 which is 6.7%ABV, but it's so light you'd never guess it from the taste.

Hmm...interesting. Of all the commercial beers mentioned only one from the country that the style originates. DuPont, and described as mild. Of the others, Brewdog, M&S, Nogne Ø, the one labeled as discusting, Nogne Ø is probably closet to style.

This looks very much like when American brewers, brew English Ales based on the reference of exported beers like Boddington and Newcastle Brown, the result is beers like Goose Island Honkers Ale, that miss the subtly and nuance that make British beers great. Or any countries Pilsners that don't measure to the Czech and German beers.

"Inspiration is the impact of a fact on a well-prepared mind" Louis Pasteur

The only saison I've bought was a smoked version whilst visiting Pipes brewery in Cardiff. It was very nice - enough so that I brewed my own. First off was a biere de Garde from the Greg Hughes book (B de G is a variety of saison from northern France). I was very impressed - very fruity with banana flavours. Plenty of body. Mine was 6.5% ABV. Only down side was that the yeast, a smackpack of French Saison cost £6.75!!!!
So while I still had the trub from the first brew I got a second out of it but this time I added in some cherry smoked malt. Result was very good, still with the banana flavours, but with an added touch of bonfire.
I can't see the point of adding fruit to it though as it would surely overpower the yeast flavours, and if you're paying that much for yeast you ought to get the most out of it you can!

It is interesting that the saison has been bastardised with fruit/spice/unusual grains/unnecessary adjuncts etc to the point that Dupont is now considered "mild". If you want to know how a saison "should" taste, get yourself a Dupont and enjoy it in its pure form :D

I'd make an exception for unusual grains as it fits with the ethos of farmers brewing with what they have. Brasserie Blaugies saison d'epeautre is brewed with Spelt and bloody lovely. I draw the line at Crystal malt though, no place for it in a beer that is meant to be dry. Which harks back to knowing the style and using ingredients and technique that fit. Just because a Saison yeast is used, doesn't make it a Saison.

The only saison I've bought was a smoked version whilst visiting Pipes brewery in Cardiff. It was very nice - enough so that I brewed my own. First off was a biere de Garde from the Greg Hughes book (B de G is a variety of saison from northern France). I was very impressed - very fruity with banana flavours. Plenty of body. Mine was 6.5% ABV. Only down side was that the yeast, a smackpack of French Saison cost �£6.75!!!!
So while I still had the trub from the first brew I got a second out of it but this time I added in some cherry smoked malt. Result was very good, still with the banana flavours, but with an added touch of bonfire.
I can't see the point of adding fruit to it though as it would surely overpower the yeast flavours, and if you're paying that much for yeast you ought to get the most out of it you can!

The same could be said for adding cherry smoked malt.

Liam, at this point I advise that you go do some research for yourself, and make your own judgement, as all you have here are a bunch of different opinions. A bunch of blind men examining an elephant... ;)

Liam, at this point I advise that you go do some research for yourself, and make your own judgement, as all you have here are a bunch of different opinions. A bunch of blind men examining an elephant... ;)
I'm pretty sure that IS the trunk I'm holding.:-D

Of the limited number of saisons I've drank dupont is the nicest, so I'm well in the camp of keeping it simple / balanced and letting the yeast do it's magic. I'd love to try Brasserie Blaugie's saison d'epeautre as the Wyeast 3726 I've used is apparently sourced from there but it's a tricky beer to get a hold of.

I find Biere de Garde an odd one, most homebrew versions use saison yeast and generally the french versions, but in the book "Farmhouse Ales" the style is apparently meant to be brewed with a clean yeast and most french breweries use a lager yeast as that's what they can get easily from the nearby big breweries. The name is also a marketing device from the 50s (i think) when the French wanted to make the beer they were brewing sound more luxury. Don't get me wrong though, the idea of a richer, malty saison appeals greatly and is on my brew list. :-)

Quite a few places in the UK have had stock of Saison D'epeautre recently. Beergonzo have it online.

I've brewed 2 saisons this year using Mangrove Jacks M29 (I think?). They were very dry but refreshingly fruity. I used about 40% wheat malt, the rest lager malt. They need time to mature so don't drink it all before it's ready! I still have a couple left so I might have one tonight.
1.054 OG ended as 1.003 which is 6.7%ABV, but it's so light you'd never guess it from the taste.

I know it's rude to blow your own trumpet but after 5 or 6 months I've just tried one of my last bottles of Saison. Wow! Amazingly clean. It isn't as bone dry as I remembered. I'll be brewing next summer and not touching it for ages. I made it with a reasonable amount of hops, which I think were Hallertauer Blanc.

Back