Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kit Brewing Discussion. > Stuck W/Wherry

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:26 AM   #1
mancer62

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Stuck W/Wherry

After nearly 3 weeks in primary my W/W has still only come down to 1016 from an initial 1040....
I have so far tried stirring the brew including all the stuff at the bottom with no or very little effect.
Yesterday I put a cover over it and sat it next ti my kitchen radiator (which I will do again today if recommended on here).
If it doesnt go down I would like to know simplest way of lowering the gravity.
For example.
1. Can I make up a solution of cooled boiled water and an amount of sugar then mix in?
2. Harvest all the trub from the bottom of my completed Wilkos IPA put in a jar and add to it.
If yes do I use all of the trub? Do I stir the trub before adding to the FV? Once added do I just pour in or do I stir in? Gently or vigorously?
Cheers

Old 03-12-2017, 09:41 AM   #2
terrym

Liked 1602 Times on 1158 Posts
Likes Given: 709

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancer62 View Post
After nearly 3 weeks in primary my W/W has still only come down to 1016 from an initial 1040....
I have so far tried stirring the brew including all the stuff at the bottom with no or very little effect.
Yesterday I put a cover over it and sat it next ti my kitchen radiator (which I will do again today if recommended on here).
If it doesnt go down I would like to know simplest way of lowering the gravity.
For example.
1. Can I make up a solution of cooled boiled water and an amount of sugar then mix in?
2. Harvest all the trub from the bottom of my completed Wilkos IPA put in a jar and add to it.
If yes do I use all of the trub? Do I stir the trub before adding to the FV? Once added do I just pour in or do I stir in? Gently or vigorously?
Cheers
You have had some of your questions already answered and there are numerous related comments in the Wherry thread and two recent threads about stuck fermentations, some of which specifically cover Wherry.
However....
At 1.016 you could try trub from another brew to see if it restarts. I would sanitise a spoon or ladle and transfer the trub over to your Wherry immediately after you have removed the beer from the other brew. Give the Wherry a gentle stir. Job done
If that doesn't work or you decide not to bother, at 1.016 you could go ahead and bottle, provided you are completely satisfied it has finished. It might just be a bit on the sweet side. Use PET for one bottle to monitor how it carbs up in case the yeast does decide to have another go.
I can't understand why you want to artificially lower the SG without further fermentation. Adding sugar will do the opposite i.e. elevate the SG. And if you do want to lower the SG without fermentation you could add water but this will dilute your beer. However vodka which will definitely lower the SG and increase the strength of your beer and should not affect the beer flavour too much.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:36 AM   #3
Godsdog

Liked 718 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 376

Had a 1054 OG for 23 litres on my Sundew R/A which I found quite surprising.day 4 & 6 appears to be stuck at 1020 ish so yesterday pitched a satchet of the CML real ale yeast,24 hours on still no sign of activity from the airlock

Old 03-12-2017, 01:15 PM   #4
terrym

Liked 1602 Times on 1158 Posts
Likes Given: 709

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsdog View Post
Had a 1054 OG for 23 litres on my Sundew R/A which I found quite surprising.day 4 & 6 appears to be stuck at 1020 ish so yesterday pitched a satchet of the CML real ale yeast,24 hours on still no sign of activity from the airlock
Your OG does look way out assuming you only used the kit cans, so no wonder you were surprised. The BF calculator predicts 1.038 for 3kg LME. My one and only Sundew (half price Tesco 'closing down' sale) also stuck with a replacement Harris yeast -long story - and I tried to restart with GV12 but it died at 1.018 at which point I packaged it. It's the highest FG I have ever finished at.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:34 PM   #5
mancer62

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I have wrapped in a towel and put it right next to kitchen radiator... there are now signs of activity in the airlock (thank goodness) I will let this go on for few days then test with hydrometer. I cannot damage the beer with the FV being so close to the radiator can I?

Old 03-12-2017, 08:50 PM   #6
britton

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 46

You know I might write to Woodfordes my self and complain about their small yeast size just so I don’t have to read another stuck Wherry thread! For gods sake, SEARCH!
People Like This 
Old 03-12-2017, 09:51 PM   #7
mancer62

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Britton chill what's the problem. No one asked you specifically for your help or opinion. You decided that yourself.
People Like This 
Old 04-12-2017, 02:51 PM   #8
Chippy_Tea
THBF_ADMIN.png

Liked 3720 Times on 2941 Posts
Likes Given: 4487

Quote:
Originally Posted by britton View Post
You know I might write to Woodfordes my self and complain about their small yeast size just so I don’t have to read another stuck Wherry thread! For gods sake, SEARCH!

I take it you read the title so understood what the thread was going to be about so why read it and then post in that manner, we encourage members to use the search but do not insist members use it and we do not berate them for not doing so, if you haven't read the forum rules maybe its time you did.

Quote:
1. Please post in a mature, sensible and respectful manner.

12. Do not tell members to "Google it" or "Try Searching", If a question has been answered before answer it again or provide a link.

14. Please use the search tool before posting a question.
Forum Member Map - if you would like to be added please visit this thread - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/sh...ad.php?t=67013
Godsdog Likes This 
Old 04-12-2017, 07:57 PM   #9
Slid
Forum Friend
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1008 Times on 829 Posts
Likes Given: 1005

Quote:
Originally Posted by britton View Post
No need! Here is link to the area where they tell you it's your problem, not theirs.

http://www.muntonshomebrew.com/?s=stuck+ferment

On here Muntons will tell you that their brewing professionals have never had a stuck ferment, even with their inadequate yeast, under their laboratory conditions.

I researched this issue a couple of years back and use US 05 now, re-using the trub in 250ml Lemonade Bottles. Just so much easier, even if you do kits / pimped kits / partial mashes or all grain. Do not use a 6g packet of yeast that may have hung around at store temps for too long for a 25L brew.

Objectively Nottingham is good yeast that makes good beer and the Muntons yeast is said to be this strain. The problems come with too few viable calls, as a result of bad storage conditions, a low mass of dried yeast in the first instance, and a lot of newbies using the Wherry kit early in their brewing journey.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:09 PM   #10
britton

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Ok I may have been over zealous in my post possibly fuelled by home brew. May I suggest a sticky on “what to do if your Wherry sticks’?