Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Equipment Discussion > Electric Keggle

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:03 PM   #11
_jon_

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Based on my extreme lack of knowledge, my complete cack-handidness, and my over all fear of electricity in general. And because I like my house, not so keen on a huge pile of ash... I've caved in. I'm going to buy these two items:

https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk...ic-Boiler.html
https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk...2ehtml#SID=180

I called the company and spoke to a chap who was very helpful. He told me to be wary of two elements, because running both at the same time can cause problems in the house with regards to electrics. My electrics are brand new, and I really don't want to cause any problems with it. He said that the 1 x 2.4KW element will boil ~30L in about 45 mins. Which is an hour quicker than I was doing it with my gas boiler.

I explained to him that I have an Inkbird, and he said that the Mangrove Jack is what they use.. but they're the same. I want to keep my Inkbird free for if I need it for my fridge, and frankly I liked the guy on the phone.

I don't mind spending money to get what I need/want, and am not a fan of any kind of DIY. For under £200 I can get exactly what I need by the end of the week.

Anyone need a 70L boil pot?

Old 04-12-2017, 04:08 PM   #12
Bigcol49

Liked 840 Times on 580 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Hi!
A temperature controller like the Inkbird will be less than helpful for maintaining a boil. It operates by shutting off the power when the assigned temperature is reached. You do not want the element to be switched off during the boil.
I'm surprised that a 7 kW gas burner can not maintain a rolling boil.
_jon_ Likes This 
Old 04-12-2017, 05:42 PM   #13
_jon_

Oh... Hmm, that's annoying. I thought I'd be able to use it to stop the boil being too rough.. but I suppose it's not going to go crazy at only 2.4KW.

Not sure what I'm going to use my shiny new temperature controller for then lol

Old 04-12-2017, 05:45 PM   #14
_jon_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcol49 View Post
I'm surprised that a 7 kW gas burner can not maintain a rolling boil.
I was surprised also. I don't get a roaring blue flame from it. It just seems to be a yellow flickery flame... a pretty big one at that, but it's the kind of flame that just causes an enormous amount of soot. Which goes everywhere and is very annoying. Maybe I have a defective burner... or maybe my Calor Bottle doesn't supply enough pressure.. but it's a 13KG Bottle.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:04 PM   #15
Bigcol49

Liked 840 Times on 580 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Quote:
Originally Posted by _jon_ View Post
I don't get a roaring blue flame from it. It just seems to be a yellow flickery flame...
Hi!
I don't use a propane burner, but a quick Google suggests that there isn't enough air in the mix. There should be an adjustable collar on the "arm" of the burner. This moves forward and back to balance the gas/air to get a fierce blue flame. Think about the Bunsen burner from school science lessons.
http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/v...hp?f=6&t=55990

Old 04-12-2017, 06:18 PM   #16
_jon_

I have played with the air collar a lot, no combination seems to sort it. I'll use it again in the summer... when the weather is nicer to play around with it for longer. For now the electric one will do just what I need

Old 04-12-2017, 06:56 PM   #17
photek1000

Liked 40 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by _jon_ View Post
Oh... Hmm, that's annoying. I thought I'd be able to use it to stop the boil being too rough.. but I suppose it's not going to go crazy at only 2.4KW.

Not sure what I'm going to use my shiny new temperature controller for then lol
2.4KW will be fine for a rolling boil just plugged in to the mains, you may find the controller useful for heating water in an HLT for mash and sparge water, that’s what I use my Inkbird for.

FV1: Empty
FV2: Empty

Conditioning:

Bottled - AG#2 Hobgoblin Style Ruby - might take a while, it's not bad but then again it isn't good , Slowly improving, very little carbonation, bit to malty in flavour

Drinking:

PB#1 - AG#4 - Exmoor Gold Clone
PB#2 - AG#5 - Brown Porter

Planning:

AG#6 Own recipe Mild 5L test batch

Old 05-12-2017, 06:26 AM   #18
Alside101

Liked 63 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Take the temp probe out of the pot when you have done mashing and sparging and it wont shut off the element

Old 05-12-2017, 08:36 AM   #19
stigman

Liked 158 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 30

One thing to be wary of is that mangrove Jacks controller is basically an stc 1000. And is only rated at 10Amps @250volt
Your 2400w element will pull 10amps at 240v it will probably work but not for long.
Sheepish Likes This 
Old 05-12-2017, 06:54 PM   #20
_jon_

Quote:
Originally Posted by stigman View Post
One thing to be wary of is that mangrove Jacks controller is basically an stc 1000. And is only rated at 10Amps @250volt
Your 2400w element will pull 10amps at 240v it will probably work but not for long.
I sense I may have been a victim of a salesman's gib! Ah well, I've got another temp controller for something now! Maybe I can find a use for it.