Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kit Brewing Discussion. > New to brewing

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:57 PM   #1
Damo-bar

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default New to brewing

Hi it’s my first attempt on brewing I’ve bought coopers lager mix and I have all the kit do I stick to the instruction on the tin as I’ve been told this is just an estimate any advise would do and how do I sterilise the hydrometer every time I use it can I just mix a solution in a spray bottle thanks in advance

Old 03-12-2017, 07:05 PM   #2
chub1

Liked 685 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 840

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo-bar View Post
Hi it’s my first attempt on brewing I’ve bought coopers lager mix and I have all the kit do I stick to the instruction on the tin as I’ve been told this is just an estimate any advise would do and how do I sterilise the hydrometer every time I use it can I just mix a solution in a spray bottle thanks in advance
Hiya.
Oh dear,first rung on the slippery ladder
I only did a handful of kits before moving on to extract and b.i.a.b.First time i would stick to the instructions on the can,however give the beer at least 14 days brewing.Subsequent brews can be tinkered with as you gain confidence. You should have a trial jar! with your hydrometer.Buy a turkey baster,peanuts to buy and use thet to collect the wort for testing and filling the trial jar,you won't need to sterelise the hydrometer BUT you will need to sterelise the baster.
Good luck

Old 03-12-2017, 07:13 PM   #3
Bigcol49

Liked 837 Times on 577 Posts
Likes Given: 249

Hi!
Wilko is a good place to get a trial jar - £2.50 http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-access...r/invt/0022576
After taking a reading, empty the contents of trial jar down the drain (or your throat) but do not return it to the fermentation vessel.
Kit instruction always understate the time required - as @chub1 says, two weeks fermentation is the norm.
chub1 Likes This 
Old 03-12-2017, 07:52 PM   #4
GerritT

Liked 102 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 554

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcol49 View Post
Hi!
Wilko is a good place to get a trial jar - �£2.50 http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-access...r/invt/0022576
After taking a reading, empty the contents of trial jar down the drain (or your throat) but do not return it to the fermentation vessel.
Kit instruction always understate the time required - as @chub1 says, two weeks fermentation is the norm.
Down the throat. ALWAYS down the throat. Taste early, taste often, taste all. Drinking experience is more that just a swish of the tongue.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:12 PM   #5
dad_of_jon
Beer designer

Liked 1019 Times on 762 Posts
Likes Given: 1907

Quote:
once you get an airlock displacement or krausen ring forming you know its on its way so leave for 14 days before you lift the lid again.

Name-style-abv%- bottles

Yassim - RIS - 8% - 53
Duvalex - 100% extract triple-8.55% - 39
Ale Cid - golden ale/cider hybrid-6.7% - 2
Who's Garden? - belgian wit-5.58% - 1
Seasons to be cheerful pt 2 -Saison-7% - 2
King Kong - Big black Belgian Quad-12.86% - 10
East vs West - Belgian RIS-9% - 21
Risky Business II-8.2%- 8
Stealth triple-7.22% - 2
Ris-ky business-10.37% - 3
Sleighed in Belgium-9.3% - 3

Old 04-12-2017, 09:30 AM   #6
Damo-bar

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default New to brewing

Thank you for all your advice

Old 04-12-2017, 09:56 AM   #7
terrym

Liked 1602 Times on 1158 Posts
Likes Given: 703

Quote:
Thank you for all your advice
You might find this useful as well
Basic beginners guide to brewing your own beer from a kit - The HomeBrew Forum
I suggest you also read the kit reviews about your lager to see what other have done, its located in here
Beer Kit Review A - Z

Old 04-12-2017, 08:08 PM   #8
Damo-bar

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default New to brewing

Right folks my beer is brewing it’s in garage with a warm belt round got to keep temperature at 18-20 oC so I now don’t touch it for about 14 days is this right
GerritT Likes This 
Old 05-12-2017, 07:07 AM   #9
Bigcol49

Liked 837 Times on 577 Posts
Likes Given: 249

Quote:
Right folks my beer is brewing it’s in garage with a warm belt round got to keep temperature at 18-20 oC so I now don’t touch it for about 14 days is this right
Hi!
Correct! Resist ALL temptation to peek inside. Even when the initial fermentation seems to be over the yeast is cleaning up after itself, chowing down on all it's own by-products to make lovely beer.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:12 PM   #10
Broomie14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Be sure to rinse every thing propperly after sterilisation!! I had my first batch had a little chemical taste to it and thats all i can put it down too.. im also new to this 😂
GerritT Likes This