Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Discussion > Cleaner / Sanitiser / CleanerSanitizer Hell!

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:56 PM   #21
AdeDunn

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Unless you apply logic that is...

Surfactants: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surfactant

The head on beer relies upon surface tension, washing up liquid contains surfactants. Leave any traces of this behind and you're going to effect the surface tension in the bubbles, pop pop pop, your lovely head won't stay...

Logic, you have to love it. However logic also says that if you rinse it all off it's no different to not using washing up liquid, and that oxi-clean, PBW etc also contain surfactants...

Long story short, rinse better/more if your beer won't keep it's head.

Now maybe we should discuss the various off flavours not rinsing well enough can leave in your beer too?
People Like This 
Old 05-12-2017, 01:57 PM   #22
Bernie

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 11

When I finish with a bottle it's rinsed three times and left to dry on a bottle tree. Similarly, with the fermenter, I clean it thoroughly so no bits of yeast are left on the side, making sure taps, lids O-rings are clean. I then only use Oxyclean on the fermenter and bottles when starting a new brew or bottling. Sometimes I might dissolve some bisulphite in a little hot water and leave it in a closed fermenter for a couple of hours. I've made nearly 30 40-pint lots and only had one bad bottle which must have gone under the radar.
I think that excessive cleaning has diminishing returns or even unintended adverse consequences. Many organisms are floating in the air and some yeasts that come into contact with the wort are air borne or can get there carried by a fruit fly for example. That's why it's advisable not to work in draughty or windy conditions outside. Yeasts can and do live on cellar walls.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:05 PM   #23
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4399 Times on 3331 Posts
Likes Given: 4623

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy1965 View Post
Its never been proven
My understanding is that the surfacants in washing up liquid are what kills the head. Whether this has been proved or not, I dont know. Hopefully someone with a chemisty/science background can let me know

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king" - William Shakespeare

Old 05-12-2017, 02:07 PM   #24
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4399 Times on 3331 Posts
Likes Given: 4623

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeDunn View Post
Unless you apply logic that is...

Surfactants: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surfactant

The head on beer relies upon surface tension, washing up liquid contains surfactants. Leave any traces of this behind and you're going to effect the surface tension in the bubbles, pop pop pop, your lovely head won't stay...

Logic, you have to love it. However logic also says that if you rinse it all off it's no different to not using washing up liquid, and that oxi-clean, PBW etc also contain surfactants...

Long story short, rinse better/more if your beer won't keep it's head.

Now maybe we should discuss the various off flavours not rinsing well enough can leave in your beer too?
Ah, someone with a bit more science knowledge than me.

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king" - William Shakespeare

Old 05-12-2017, 02:23 PM   #25
johnnyboy1965

Liked 426 Times on 291 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyQul View Post
My understanding is that the surfacants in washing up liquid are what kills the head. Whether this has been proved or not, I dont know. Hopefully someone with a chemisty/science background can let me know
Very true, but never been proven. Think highgly carbonated beer in Europe. The first thing they do is wash the glass with water, then pour

Old 05-12-2017, 02:36 PM   #26
Bernie

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Surfactants in beer are what gives you head retention. Soap or detergents are surfactants with amphiphilic molecules that reduce the surface tension of the water making the bubble surface more stable. Head stability can also be increase by making the beer fizz more; it could be a gassy beer, could be forced through a sparkler of serving in a glass that nucleates the bubbles.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #27
GerritT

Liked 103 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 561

SO just rinse well after initial cleansing. I mean, that's what you do when you get out of the shower: rinse the shampoo out of your hair?
Guys?

Old 05-12-2017, 03:27 PM   #28
Cwrw666

Liked 591 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 172

My cleaning regime is:
FV, boiler, BIAB bag - wash with warm water. Nothing else. Sanitise with a kettle of boiling water.
Bottles - rinse after use, then soak in a concentrated washing soda solution. Sanitise again with boiling water (carefully!).
Some curl-eye kale,
But give I boiled parsnips
And a girt dish o taters
And a pint of good ale.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:00 PM   #29
_jon_

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I use PBW to clean, but I never know how much to use or how long it can soak for.. so I literally just guess the measurements with a generous pour and leave it for as long as I forget about it.. sometimes a week.

Then I rinse and star san to sanitise.

When cleaning Cornie's do you guys unbolt the stems and chuck them in? I don't bother, I tend to just seal it up with the star san in it, add some c02 and pump a keg through a tap.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:31 PM   #30
Gunge

Liked 920 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1036

I think most of you are bonkers / paranoid / just over-analyzing stuff lol! Listen 35 years in the game and I've sufficed with nuthin' more than washing-up liquid and mega-dilute thin bleach. No infections, ever. Why complicate matters?
Pivovar Likes This