Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Brewing "How-To" Guides > How to build a stir plate for less than ten quid

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:14 PM   #1
strange-steve
Quantum Brewer

Liked 953 Times on 634 Posts
Likes Given: 301

Default How to build a stir plate for less than ten quid

I've been thinking about building a stir plate for a while and reading about the Brulosophy yeast starter harvesting method gave me a little push to do it. Being the miserable sod that I am, I like to do things as cheaply as possible, so this is how I built my stir plate for under a tenner. Actually it cost me about £6 but I had some stuff lying about the house which I was able to use.

So this is what you need, all available from eBay:

A 12 volt power supply - £2.19

A 12 volt PWM controller - £1.37

A 12 volt 92x25 mm CPU fan - £1.40

A couple of 8x5 mm neodymium magnets - £0.99

A handful of M3.5x50 screws and nuts - About a quid from local hardware store

Lastly you need an enclosure, this is where a little ingenuity comes in. I've seen these made from all sorts of things, cigar boxes, lunch boxes, tupperware, lego. Anything that is sturdy enough to support a couple of kilos will do, preferably non metallic because it'll interfere with the magnets. Google homemade stir plate for some inspiration. I used an old soap box which I found in the house. It's not quite as manly as those cigar box stir plates, but you have to admit it's pretty

If you can't find anything at home then an electrical adaptable box from B&Q will work well.

So once you have all the parts, mark the holes in the fan and PWM and install the screws through the base like so, this allows the fan to be height adjustable so that you can get the magnets as close to the lid as possible.

Drill a small hole for the power cable, cut the connector off, insert through the hole, connect to the "supply" side of the PWM. Connect the fan to the "load" side then mount both the fan and PWM.

Stick two magnets on the center of the fan, one positive up, the other negative up. I used gluedots to stick the magnets The center of the magnets should line up with the ends of the stir bar like so:

Put the lid on, plug in and switch on. If required adjust the height of the fan, the magnets should be nice and close to the lid without touching.

Test with stir bar in an erlenmeyer flask. I find it's best to turn the speed right down, switch on, then slowly ramp up the speed until it gets to where you want it. This is it in action:

So there you have it, a stir plate for about £6, and very pretty too

Edit to add: After a few uses I upgraded my stir plate from the soap box to a chocolate box. I found that the structural integrity of the soap box was becoming rather compromised. It was sagging a little in the middle meaning the magnets were rubbing on the inside making a very irritating sound. Also it wasn't waterproof, so I had concerns about the starter overflowing onto it. I also couldn't get rid of the lavender smell from it which was annoying when trying to have a sniff of the starter. The new one isn't as pretty but much more sturdy and made of plastic so should last a bit longer.

People Like This 
Old 12-09-2016, 07:44 PM   #2
Personal91

Liked 216 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 528

now this i approve of
BeerCat Likes This 
Old 12-09-2016, 09:36 PM   #3
BeerCat

Liked 688 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 968

Cheers Steve, looks cool. Been using plastic bottles for starters after by Duran bottle disintegrated in the airing cupboard.

Conditioning Dry Irish Stout with CML US yeast

Drinking American Stout, Punk IPA, Kolsch x2, German Lager x2, Mild, Brown Porter, Mead, Melomel

Old 12-09-2016, 09:51 PM   #4
strange-steve
Quantum Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerCat View Post
Cheers Steve, looks cool. Been using plastic bottles for starters after by Duran bottle disintegrated in the airing cupboard.
Do you use plastic bottles on a stir plate or just shake it up?

Old 12-09-2016, 10:55 PM   #5
BeerCat

Liked 688 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 968

I just shake it up. The Duran bottle was my fault as i forgot to loosen the cap but a 2l bottle is nice for a starter. I always chill and decant mine after tasting some of it. Have you tried it?

Conditioning Dry Irish Stout with CML US yeast

Drinking American Stout, Punk IPA, Kolsch x2, German Lager x2, Mild, Brown Porter, Mead, Melomel

Old 13-09-2016, 05:41 AM   #6
brumbrew

Liked 466 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 817

My stir plate is almost identical, only difference mine is mounted inside some scrap wooden board (the thin stuff you find on the back of old furniture)
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG2749.jpg  
People Like This 
Old 13-09-2016, 08:18 AM   #7
Graz

Liked 272 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Love it, great guide!

Drinking PB: Beerworks Sheepdog's Pride Suffolk Bitter
Drinking Bottled: Young's American Mocha Porter, Young's American Oaked Rum Ale, Coopers Stout + Treacle

Conditioning PBs: Milestone Dark Galleon
Conditioning Bottled: Brewferm Christmas, Cwtch

Wine:
WOWs (too many to list)
Wine Buddy Sauvignon Blanc
Cellar 7 Cab Sauv

Old 13-09-2016, 03:49 PM   #8
strange-steve
Quantum Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerCat View Post
I just shake it up. The Duran bottle was my fault as i forgot to loosen the cap but a 2l bottle is nice for a starter. I always chill and decant mine after tasting some of it. Have you tried it?
Yeah I used to use the shake method all the time for my starters and it works great. I don't think a stir plate is at all necessary for making good beer. However with the overbuilding/harvesting method I've started using, a stir plate makes the starter and harvest volumes more manageable.

For example for my next brew with an overbuild of 100B cells using a stir plate the starter volume is 1.9L with a harvest volume of 0.5L. If using the shaking method the starter volume would be 4.3L with a harvest volume of 1.2L.

This means I can keep the harvested yeast in a small bottle in the fridge, which is good because I find that fridge space taken up by brewing stuff has a direct correlation with the amount of moaning I have to listen to from the wife.
People Like This 
Old 13-09-2016, 03:51 PM   #9
IainM

Liked 800 Times on 561 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Just ordered the kit. Came to £10.60 including p&p and a 25mm magnetic stirrer.
Conditioning: BBNo1:1 Citra saison, Chevallier bitter, Blackberry wine, Elderberry wine, Plum wine
Drinking: Cwtch, Bures Gold, Perry, Cider, Gales Festival Mild (GW clone), RIS, Winebuddy Merlot, Mead, Cyser, Melomel
Previous good'uns: RyeIPA, NEDIPA, Bitter (HBF comp 2nd place), Perry from scratch, Hobgob clone, DIYDog Dogma, Mild, BIPA x 3, ginger beer
strange-steve Likes This 
Old 13-09-2016, 03:51 PM   #10
strange-steve
Quantum Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brumbrew View Post
My stir plate is almost identical, only difference mine is mounted inside some scrap wooden board (the thin stuff you find on the back of old furniture)
Good work that man

Tags
cheap stir plate, how to make stir plate, stir plate