Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Recipe Discussion > Wheat Beer Advice

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:53 PM   #1
_jon_

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default Wheat Beer Advice

As per a different thread, having missed the OG on my wheat beer by a country mile, and forgetting to add the bitter orange and coriander...

It's been in the FV for 8 days now. No dry hop of course as it's a wheat... but what are your thoughts about dry hopping some bitter orange peel and coriander now? For another 5 days? To ramp up the flavour...

If you think it's worth a shot, how should I sanitise the orange peel and coriander seeds? And should I put them in a muslin hop bag or something?

Old 05-12-2017, 08:57 PM   #2
stigman

Liked 158 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Dont see why you cant boil em in a muslin bag with a little dme for 5/10 mins then chuck if in the fv.
Slid Likes This 
Old 05-12-2017, 08:59 PM   #3
Slid
Forum Friend
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1008 Times on 829 Posts
Likes Given: 1005

Quote:
Originally Posted by _jon_ View Post
As per a different thread, having missed the OG on my wheat beer by a country mile, and forgetting to add the bitter orange and coriander...

It's been in the FV for 8 days now. No dry hop of course as it's a wheat... but what are your thoughts about dry hopping some bitter orange peel and coriander now? For another 5 days? To ramp up the flavour...

If you think it's worth a shot, how should I sanitise the orange peel and coriander seeds? And should I put them in a muslin hop bag or something?
I would add hot water to the peel and crushed coriander, say in a jam jar or something overnight and pour the water in the next day through a sieve.

Water temps? Ask me another! Maybe 80C?

Wheat beer is an awkward cuss of a brew for me in the Grainfather - had to handball the mash, sparge, boil etc on my second wheat beer.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:01 PM   #4
_jon_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slid View Post
I would add hot water to the peel and crushed coriander, say in a jam jar or something overnight and pour the water in the next day through a sieve.

Water temps? Ask me another! Maybe 80C?

Wheat beer is an awkward cuss of a brew for me in the Grainfather - had to handball the mash, sparge, boil etc on my second wheat beer.
Would that dilute my FG even more and weaken the beer? It's already almost non alcoholic haha. Or do you mean just a little bit of water? And by seive, you mean don't add the actual bits, just the fragranted water? In which case, the more water the more flavour?

Old 05-12-2017, 09:12 PM   #5
Covrich
Sith Acolyte
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1432 Times on 1049 Posts
Likes Given: 635

Send a message via AIM to Covrich Send a message via MSN to Covrich

Quote:

When I did a witbier which was 50/50 grain and flaked wheat my efficiency was way off too and I normally get consistent results with that.. maybe you had teh same returns on teh flaked wheat

btw it was still a great beer

I would probably boil them for 5 mins or so personally

slids idea is interesting.

Longhorn American IPA
True lager
Small left over Pale expermients

Fermenting / Conditioning

Lager AG 5%

Drinking

Sour Hen 5.8%
Turbo Cider 5%
Weize Guy Kristalwiezen 5%
Longhorn 5.6%
UmBongo 5%

Old 05-12-2017, 09:24 PM   #6
_jon_

Oh that's interesting. Maybe it wasn't just me then, and maybe the wheat let me down.

So, you think to just bag the lot and boil the bag to sanitise, then drop the bag into the FV?

Old 05-12-2017, 09:31 PM   #7
_jon_

Just a thought...

If I boil the orange peel and coriander, won't I be taking most of the flavour out of them in the boil?

Which is maybe why Slids was suggesting boil them and throw the water in?

Old 05-12-2017, 09:40 PM   #8
Slid
Forum Friend
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covrich View Post
When I did a witbier which was 50/50 grain and flaked wheat my efficiency was way off too and I normally get consistent results with that.. maybe you had teh same returns on teh flaked wheat

btw it was still a great beer

I would probably boil them for 5 mins or so personally

slids idea is interesting.
Kind of on the basis that the flavour and aromas are the ones that might get boiled off at high temps?

I guess it has to be a line of thought and would take making another wheat beer to get any feedback from. That is "Add to Boil" vs "Steep to Keep" on the peel and coriander.

As I over bought my wheat malt and may still have enough to add a decent head to every beer I will ever drink for the next n years, I may do another in the New Year, if the #2 brew is OK.
_jon_ Likes This 
Old 05-12-2017, 09:49 PM   #9
_jon_

How about the best of both worlds?

Bag the coriander and orange. Boil in just enough water to cover the bag, but only up to say 75-80c? (Should be hot enough to sanitise but not hot enough to boil), then throw the bag AND the water into the FV?

Old 05-12-2017, 09:54 PM   #10
Slid
Forum Friend
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
How about the best of both worlds?

Bag the coriander and orange. Boil in just enough water to cover the bag, but only up to say 75-80c? (Should be hot enough to sanitise but not hot enough to boil), then throw the bag AND the water into the FV?
Good idea, I like this and don't see what goes wrong. If you are wasting this amount of time on it, why not chuck some malt extract in at the same time?