nut brown ale - review request

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kakistos_uk

kakistos_uk
Reaction score
Dear wise council of esteemed elder brewers!

I wish to make a nut brown ale. Can you review my recipe and feedback?

1.7kg Coopers Dark Ale, 1.5kg of amber malt extract, 2 x 500 Crystal Malt grain (https://www.balliihoo.co.uk/crushed...MI4LO377HP1wIVVhbTCh2uuAcCEAQYASABEgL2DvD_BwE ) and a can of golden syrup.

I want a malt forward, low hop/bitterness flavour with a really nutty punch.

Will this work?

Thanks!

Coopers Dark Ale cans come with 590IBUs and that translates into about 43IBUs if you make up 23 litres, more if you brew shorter. Brown ales are traditionally in the range 20-30 so your kit choice may be too hoppy for the style. You could consider a mild kit or a perhaps a Wilko Newkie Brown as an alternative, .
Using Brewers Friend your OG should come out at about 1.060 with target ABV of about 6.0 which is right at the top end of the style. You could bring this down by not using as much crystal malt. For me 1kg is too much anyway (personally I would use no than 250g) since it will probably introduce a sweet slightly cloying taste to your beer, at least according to my experience

Last edited:
Upto 10% crystal is fine for a Brown Ale. The nuttiness will come from Maris Otter, but I'm not sure how much control you have over that, a UK made kit might be the best choice.

"Inspiration is the impact of a fact on a well-prepared mind" Louis Pasteur

Back