Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Equipment Discussion > Mash and HLT temp monitoring

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:24 PM   #1
Ciaran12s

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Mash and HLT temp monitoring

What do you all use for monitoring your mash and sparge water temperature.

I got a digital one from Tesco with a cabled thermocouple probe. Cooked that.

Got one from Amazon, same idea but two jacks for two cabled thermocouple probes. I've cooked one of them as well.

They've never hit anywhere near the upper range and all I can think is they're no good for measuring liquid temperatures.

So any recommendations? I do like it being on a cable for continuous monitoring.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:26 PM   #2
britton

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I use STC 1000

Old 07-12-2017, 12:40 AM   #3
Dutto
Dutto

Liked 1854 Times on 1311 Posts
Likes Given: 3984

I use an Inkbird BBQ probe.

To keep it dry:

o In the Mash Tun, before attaching the lid, I shove the probe through a plastic board that sits on top of the grain.

o In the Sparge Water Heater (a modified FV) I drop the probe through the hole in the bung at the top and fill the vessel so that only the end of the probe sits in the water.

The first two probes supplied by Inkbird burned out when they got really damp but their replacements are working well after use in my smoker and more than a dozen brews.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:45 AM   #4
JapanBrew

Liked 367 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 477

I used to use a STC 1000 but I built a PID system that controls the temp. One of my probes is set in the wort output on my recirculating system. This gives me a more accurate reading of the wort actually in the mash. The other is just in a thermowell in the HLT but doesn’t control anything. Just for seeing the temp in the HLT. I’m working on another PID that’ll be used to get the HLT to strike temperature separate from the mash system so I can run continuous brews. My FV is rather large and I don’t have the cash to up my boil kettle, mash tun and hot liquor tank. So I will have to do at least 4 runs to mostly fill my 160 liter FV.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:49 AM   #5
Ciaran12s

Thanks for the info chaps! It's maybe been water ingress that's done it then. I'll just have to keep a better eye on that in future.

A PID sounds good! I'll have to stick with turning the elements off and on for the time being though
JapanBrew Likes This 
Old 07-12-2017, 08:13 AM   #6
Sbond10

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaran12s View Post
Thanks for the info chaps! It's maybe been water ingress that's done it then. I'll just have to keep a better eye on that in future.

A PID sounds good! I'll have to stick with turning the elements off and on for the time being though
Inkbird have released a device called an engbird which is a blue tooth temp logger.

Ive recently ask about using a pid to control an element in a hlt and basically got told its abit overkill unless your planning on a constant recirc. If your element is under 10amp then a prebuilt inkbird 308 ( you can get the long probe for going thru lid if you want. Then theres the bog standard st1000 you can get cheap chinese crap with a 30amp relay for around ten quid or a branded one (like inkbird ) with an enclosure for about 15 but these are only 10 amps.

Could the solution be a thermowell as well

Old 07-12-2017, 11:57 AM   #7
Ciaran12s

Mine is a gravity fed system. I've started insulating it whilst on use and to be fair the temperature does hold quite well.

I might try again with the type I've got. It might be quite easy to get replacement probes. I'll just have to be more careful with them.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:04 PM   #8
photek1000

Liked 40 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I use an Inkbird ITC-306 for controlling the temperature of my HLT for Mash and Sparge water and I also use cheap digital thermometers to just give a second opinion, and my Glass thermometer pokes out of my Mash tun when mashing.

FV1: Empty
FV2: Empty

Conditioning:

Bottled - AG#2 Hobgoblin Style Ruby - might take a while, it's not bad but then again it isn't good , Slowly improving, very little carbonation, bit to malty in flavour

Drinking:

PB#1 - AG#4 - Exmoor Gold Clone
PB#2 - AG#5 - Brown Porter

Planning:

AG#6 Own recipe Mild 5L test batch

Old 07-12-2017, 01:04 PM   #9
Bigjas

Liked 222 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I use a 300mm Dial Thermometer like one of these https://www.tester.co.uk/eti-heavy-d...SABEgIFCvD_BwE

Not sure if it will suit your set up? But I use a coolbox mash tun and I just drilled a hole in the lid and the probe sits in the middle of the mash. It works brilliantly and has done 20 brews. I even managed to drop it in to the Boiler full of wort (don't ask) and it still works perfectly. Sometimes old school is better than digital, I have got through 3 digital thermometers in a year before getting one of these. For my HLT, I have made a spider and just hang it from that.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #10
Ciaran12s

That does look good bigjas! Might be an option