Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kit Brewing Discussion. > Funny thing about dry hopping

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:50 PM   #1
Nicks90

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Funny thing about dry hopping

I did a festival landlords kit recently and added the dry hops as instructed.
However I got called away to Poland with work and the hops stayed in a bit too long.
Bottled it anyway and after its usual 2 weeks carb, 2 weeks condition I opened my first bottle.

Blurgh. Very grassy. Very 'green' tasting.
Never mind, I'll drink anything really. However I have to admit I've only opened a few of these if there is other beer in the house. Each time I've thought I'll not do that again!
But this evening is it's 5 week conditioning anniversary and I cracked a bottle and it's tastes like a completely different beer!!! Literally in the space of 3 days it lost all of the grassiness and raw vegetable flavour and has flowered in to quite a fantastic beer!
I'm not only happy by the change in the beer, but I'm really surprised at how the dry hop flavour has literally dropped off a cliff in the matter of a few days.
Who'd have thunk it!

And to check it wasn't a one off, I've tried 3 and they're all just as delicious

Conditioning
blackberry and elderberry wine
half AG half wilko's bitter kit 15l
elderflower wine
blackberry TC
festival landlord bitter
First ever AG 12 pints
People Like This 
Old 07-12-2017, 06:10 AM   #2
suffolkbeer

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I had a similar experience, I recently brewed an IPA and dry hopped. On sampling the first few bottles I was very impressed with the intense flavour. After a couple of weeks however the flavour really dropped off. Left a bit disappointed......

Old 07-12-2017, 06:59 AM   #3
pms67

Liked 823 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks90 View Post
I did a festival landlords kit recently and added the dry hops as instructed.
However I got called away to Poland with work and the hops stayed in a bit too long.
Bottled it anyway and after its usual 2 weeks carb, 2 weeks condition I opened my first bottle.

Blurgh. Very grassy. Very 'green' tasting.
Never mind, I'll drink anything really. However I have to admit I've only opened a few of these if there is other beer in the house. Each time I've thought I'll not do that again!
But this evening is it's 5 week conditioning anniversary and I cracked a bottle and it's tastes like a completely different beer!!! Literally in the space of 3 days it lost all of the grassiness and raw vegetable flavour and has flowered in to quite a fantastic beer!
I'm not only happy by the change in the beer, but I'm really surprised at how the dry hop flavour has literally dropped off a cliff in the matter of a few days.
Who'd have thunk it!

And to check it wasn't a one off, I've tried 3 and they're all just as delicious
Called out to Poland 😳😳😳
When I’m on call, the next towns a thought 😉
Seriously mate, good to hear, yep, time makes a lot of difference to homebrew,shame I’ve no patience

Old 07-12-2017, 07:38 AM   #4
nigelnorris
Beavis at Bat

Liked 240 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I've just started drinking some wine I made three years ago. I was going to throw it out it was so bad, now it tastes like it's come off a supermarket shelf. Not the own brand shelf mind, proper wine.
GDog Likes This 
Old 07-12-2017, 11:31 AM   #5
svenito

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I love how my beers change over time. It's a fascinating journey.

I only get sad when I notice a decline from their best moment of maturity. Not that they start tasting bad, just not as good as they used to.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:16 PM   #6
GDog

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelnorris View Post
I've just started drinking some wine I made three years ago. I was going to throw it out it was so bad, now it tastes like it's come off a supermarket shelf. Not the own brand shelf mind, proper wine.
what sort of wine was it, Elderberry?

Old 08-12-2017, 07:20 PM   #7
Clint

Liked 1122 Times on 830 Posts
Likes Given: 269

I got a botched batch of cali common. ..it's slowly behaving itself....time is a great healer...