Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Equipment Discussion > Fermenting in a keg

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:41 PM   #1
liamf89

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Fermenting in a keg

Hi i have been looking into idea of fermenting in a keg as I normally have couple empty and want to lower chance of introducing oxygen to beer and do closed transfer.. I have been googling a bit and just keep seeing about spunding valve.. Could I not just transfer my wort between two kegs purge the head space then attach disconnect to in valve and on disconnect just attach bit of tube and stick on some star san to allow gas to escape.then when ready to transfer connect disconnects from keg with beer into empty on and the connect gas to one with beer in and set low pressure to get beer flowing to empty keg..

Old 07-12-2017, 06:52 PM   #2
Bigcol49

Liked 830 Times on 571 Posts
Likes Given: 248

Hi!
Won't the problem be over-carbonation? The recommendation is to transfer from the FV to a keg when the beer has 2 to 5 points to go before fermentation is over. The spunding valve is to ensure that the beer is not over-carbonated.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:11 PM   #3
Sadfield

Liked 423 Times on 285 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Yes you can. Ferment in a corny. The only issue is leaving enough headspace in the keg for the krausen.

The advantage of the spunding valve is that you can dial in the pressure required and carbonate as you ferment, and also when fermenting under pressure you can ferment warmer with less ester production. Another benefit is that top pressure suppresses the krausen, meaning less headspace is needed in the keg.

Edit: I've actual got a farmhouse (yeast blend) brown ale fermenting in one at the moment with nothing but a gas disconnect on to allow CO2 to vent. Not much will get in through the small hole. Not much of an issue if it does as its full of Brett yeast anyway.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:35 PM   #4
liamf89

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Wasn't planning to ferment it under pressure just pump bit of co2 into it when I first put wort in to purge the keg then have a disconnect on the gas in side so any gas given of during fermentation will come out there threw tube placed in some star san.. Then after ten days transfer it to clean keg.. Connect gas to the one I'm using as fv and put a tube with two black disconnects on the out on both kegs and put bit of pressure in the fv corny to get beer flowing

Old 07-12-2017, 07:42 PM   #5
liamf89

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadfield View Post
Yes you can. Ferment in a corny. The only issue is leaving enough headspace in the keg for the krausen.

The advantage of the spunding valve is that you can dial in the pressure required and carbonate as you ferment, and also when fermenting under pressure you can ferment warmer with less ester production. Another benefit is that top pressure suppresses the krausen, meaning less headspace is needed in the keg.

Edit: I've actual got a farmhouse (yeast blend) brown ale fermenting in one at the moment with nothing but a gas disconnect on to allow CO2 to vent. Not much will get in through the small hole. Not much of an issue if it does as its full of Brett yeast anyway.
Yeah that's basically what I'm thinking of doing not worried about carbing while it ferments or anything.does the yeast come out first when you start to transfer it to the next keg was thinking of using a jg valve inline so I can run the first bit with yeast and trub down sink or in Mason jar to harvest.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:22 PM   #6
Sadfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamf89 View Post
Yeah that's basically what I'm thinking of doing not worried about carbing while it ferments or anything.does the yeast come out first when you start to transfer it to the next keg was thinking of using a jg valve inline so I can run the first bit with yeast and trub down sink or in Mason jar to harvest.
That sounds like it'll work. The yeast stays set on the bottom of the keg, but it depends where the bottom of the dip tube sits in relation to the top of the yeast cake. I have a spare dip tube that is cut slightly shorter and at a 45 degree angle, for when I ferment in a keg.

"Inspiration is the impact of a fact on a well-prepared mind" Louis Pasteur
Old 07-12-2017, 09:28 PM   #7
liamf89

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadfield View Post
That sounds like it'll work. It depends where the bottom of the dip tube sits in relation to the top of the yeast cake. I have a spare dip tube that is cut slightly shorter and at a 45 degree angle, for when I ferment in a keg.

"Inspiration is the impact of a fact on a well-prepared mind" Louis Pasteur
If I leave the dip tube as is on the bottom then it should draw the yeast out first so can run first bit of and then attach it to keg and transfer it. Can put wort between 2 kegs to allow head space

Old 07-12-2017, 10:13 PM   #8
Soton
some random guy

Liked 169 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 45

If you are going to use a keg for fermentation but not ferment under pressure it’s still a good idea to use a spunding valve, that way the valve will allow the oxygen to be released and replaced with CO2 during fermentation and act as a airlock to stop air getting back in
You would only need it set the valve at low pressur, just enough to keep the keg sealed.
If you then transferred the beer into a well purged keg under pressure it would remain oxygen free and would very properly keep better for longer periods of time

Old 07-12-2017, 10:18 PM   #9
Soton
some random guy

Liked 169 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I ordered from AliExpress a longer gas in drip tube and if I use a keg to ferment in I slip a plastic tube over it so it’s cut a bit shorter from the bottom of the keg, I did this as I could not get a spare beer out drip tube and didn’t want to cut the one in the keg
If you use a full size drip tube I would bottle the first couple of pints out then put the rest into a keg

Old 07-12-2017, 10:36 PM   #10
Sadfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamf89 View Post
If I leave the dip tube as is on the bottom then it should draw the yeast out first so can run first bit of and then attach it to keg and transfer it. Can put wort between 2 kegs to allow head space
Yes, to both questions.