Defrosting.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Tip from a tightwad. :lol:

It never ceases to amaze me how people spend 10 minutes with a scraper or worse the same time with a can of deicer (what a rip off that stuff is), being tight i have always used a 2 litre pop bottle with a small hole in the cap and warm water if you pour it on the glass slowly then get another bottle of slightly hotter water it doesn't refreeze and i have never cracked a window using this metheod.

I normally just pour a 2 litre milk bottle of warm water straight over the windscreen, been doing it for years without a problem.

it depends on where the car is. home then yes .warm water, but if its away from home then sometimes you have no choice.it does annoy me to get in a car where the screen is scratched to pieces though, so many people do it, not realising the damage they are doing.

I pop an old double duvet cover of the windscreen every night, just jam in the driver and passenger door, then just throw in the boot until needed. Windscreen nice and clear every morning. works for me as car is off the road and in a drive. no scraping or de-icing.

My father-in-law still covers with old newspaper front and back and swears by it.
At home I'm fortunate enough to park in a sheltered driveway thanks to my neighbours gable wall but at work I try to park along the edge where there is tree cover though can be tricky as there is parking for 500 cars so it can be a lottery at times.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

I always used luke warm water from a 2 litre pop bottle to de-ice the windscreen. Now have a Ford with a heated windscreen, the windscreen is usually clear within a couple of minutes.

Ford heated windscreen for me too, wife's qashqi I do with warm water in 2ltr milk bottle.

When i change my car in a couple of years i will be looking for one with a heated screen and parking sensors, air con is also a must for demisting.

I just sit there looking more gormless than usual for ten minutes, with the heaters on full-blast until it melts. Play with my 'phone or summat in the meantime.

Lancs Road Police‏Verified account
@LancsRoadPolice
7h7 hours ago
More
It’s very icy this morning. Make sure you fully clear your windscreen. This is not acceptable and will lead to a penalty

DQwIO_aVAAEynFB.jpg

I got one of those heated screens...don't use it much as it drains the battery (says in my manual not to use it excessively ....)
Where's the fun in that....I scrape the living daylights out of mine. It also let's the neighbours know it's frosty and they need to be getting up. Getting the snow off these last couple of days has been easy....big yard brush! The easiest way of all though is to send the Mrs out in her slippers and dressing gown.

I got one of those heated screens...don't use it much as it drains the battery (says in my manual not to use it excessively ....)
Where's the fun in that....I scrape the living daylights out of mine. It also let's the neighbours know it's frosty and they need to be getting up. Getting the snow off these last couple of days has been easy....big yard brush! The easiest way of all though is to send the Mrs out in her slippers and dressing gown.
You should be ok if the engine is running as the alternator will top up the charge as it's used. Don't think ours works if the engine is off anyway.

My focus is 15years old and has a heated screen, totally clear after about.3mins. I would have thought most cars have em these days.

That’ll be a Ford then, they’re the only ones that have them.

No they license it out, I know for sure that Jags and Landrovers have heated front screens.

In other business here's something I want to know, how come it's only my windscreen that ices up, never the rear hatch. Nothing to do with the direction the car is pointing because it's the same whether I pull straight in or reverse in.

Perhaps it's the angle they sit at or something, the hatch on my car is almost vertical. Still annoying whatever the reason because if it was a fair distribution I could use the rear window heater to fix it half of the time.

There's a great warning here about removing snow and ice ...

https://www.aol.co.uk/cars/2017/12/...grid7|main5|dl1|dl-headline&pLid=342091738_uk

I had a near escape once with a lorry in Aberdeenshire. I was just about to pull out and overtake a high-sided lorry when a 100mm slab of snow and ice, about two metres square, came down from the roof and landed on the road just in front of me. If I had been any closer to the lorry it would have landed on my bonnet and almost certainly put paid to me seeing anything out of the windscreen until I had stopped and cleared it away manually.

On the other hand, I couldn't really blame the lorry driver. It's unrealistic to expect any lorry driver to climb up and sweep the top of his lorry if it is anywhere other than in the yard and the right equipment is readily available.

When following high sided vehicles I now give them an extra 20 metres or so whenever there has been a recent snowfall. :thumb:

PS

Mea culpa!

I've also had the un-nerving experience of braking and thereby dislodging a slab of snow off the roof of my own vehicle.

On one occasion (unfortunately, there has been more than one) the slab was so big that the windscreen wipers wouldn't shift it.

Luckily (I am still here to tell the tale) it left a gap through which I could see enough to pull into the side of the road and stop to remove the snow; but since then I have tried to be a model driver! :whistle:

The easiest way of all though is to send the Mrs out in her slippers and dressing gown.

That's what I'd do normally (and for any unpleasant job for that matter) but I'm not so mean as to drag her out of bed at 0530 when she doesn't have to be up until 0830. God I spoil that woman, I really do. Anyway tonight I'm gonna set some candles alight on the dash, hehe that'll do the trick. It's smart being smart!

Back