How many drops?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tys

Reaction score
I made a coppers mex lager and on opening a couple of bottles after 1x week the beer is still flat. I originally used 2 drops in a 750ml bottle. Is this enough? Am I opening them too early? If I was to open all the bottles and add another drop in each, would this make the lager go off? Thanks in advance.

Where have you kept them? They need to be warmish..20°c to carb up for around a fortnight...then a couple of weeks cool for conditioning....

I always found the time to carb can vary almost randomly with most carbed in under a week but some taking 2-3, and yes 2 is enough.

They only spent about a week inside then I put them out in the shed where it's cold. Can they be saved?

Definitely savable. I had similar situation a couple of weeks ago. I brought them in to the warm, upturned each bottle with a light shake and then forgot about them for a week. Back up to the cold, and another week and they're now well enough carbed.

Time to carb up in this weather is entirely dependant on how warm they can be kept during the day / night. In a cold bedroom over the last week or so would get very little carbonation over a week.

They won't come to any harm, though, and patience is your best friend. :thumb:

Time to carb up in this weather is entirely dependant on how warm they can be kept during the day / night. In a cold bedroom over the last week or so would get very little carbonation over a week.

They won't come to any harm, though, and patience is your best friend. :thumb:

That's a good point - I had mine in a bedroom which is probably a bit below 20deg in the day, but much lower at night (10 or less?). The week seemed to do the trick for me but I may have been lucky.

BTW mine was a lager made with lager yeast so I guess that will mean more carbonation at the lower temps - next one is an IPA so I may not be so lucky.

Back