I hate "Craft Beer"

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Why is it that when I mention that I make my own beer, people tend to ask, "Oh, do you make Craft beer" "No, I'm making real beer, using real ingredients and no chemicals. As beer should be made"
When I make my own bread, nobody ever asks "Is that craft bread"
Yet another sales gimmick from "Across the Pond"

Brian

If it doesn't have a brand, it's not marketable hence no good. Have you ever seen those commercials that compare a Brandâ„¢ with another unnamed wellknown brand? Which one came always out as the best brand? Of course Brandâ„¢!!
"I made it myself" is inferior to Craft©™Beer. And you know it.
Can't blame most Murricans, they were brought up this way :sad:

Last edited:
I'm curious, what "chemicals" do you think are involved in the manufacture of "craft" beer that aren't also used by homebrewers?

I'm curious, what "chemicals" do you think are involved in the manufacture of "craft" beer that aren't also used by homebrewers?
I wasn't meaning that the so called craft beer was made with chemicals, I was inferring that a lot of mass produced beers probably have chemicals in which the homebrewer would not use.

Can't say that I agree with any of this. The word "craft" to me implies that someone has gone to some trouble to make a beer in a traditional manner, without the use of modern mass production tools or methods, albeit using recipes of a more modern style. I know that the phrase has been hijacked by the big producers but that doesn't mean it must be disqualified from conversation.

Like when nationalists took the Cross of St George as they're rallying flag, the rest of us were right to keep flying it.

Which chemicals are acceptable?
My beer often contains hydrochloric and sulphuric acid, lactic acid, potassium metabisulfite, calcium chloride, calcium sulphate and sometimes magnesium sulphate.

I wasn't meaning that the so called craft beer was made with chemicals, I was inferring that a lot of mass produced beers probably have chemicals in which the homebrewer would not use.

By legal definition in America, craft beer is not allowed to be “mass produced” (I’m not sure of the exact specifications). The “Craft beer” movement in America is roughly comparable to “real ale” in the UK in the respect that there are specific definitions and rules about who can call themselves one.

There are no such regulations in the UK over “craft beer” though and here it is little more than a marketing tool. That’s why beers like Blue Moon, which is brewed by multinationals, have people in the UK mistakenly referring to it as “craft beer” but it isn’t and doesn’t carry the word “craft” on the bottle anywhere.

For the record I don’t go around telling people I brew “craft beer” or “real ale”, but I’d rather people asked me that than saying “ooh, I bet it’s like rocket fuel!”.

I suppose the real problem is not the use of the words "craft beer" but more the general publics understanding of what that is and I guess some beer lovers will get a bit snobby about it as well. If a "craft brewer" sells its company to a multinational, do they overnight stop making craft beer....

Such as what, though? I'm genuinely curious. Most home brewers don't bother with advanced water treatment or yeast nutrient or whatever, but some do. I'm a novice and even I treat my water with Campden. What are commercial breweries using that we aren't?

For the record I don’t go around telling people I brew “craft beer” or “real ale”, but I’d rather people asked me that than saying “ooh, I bet it’s like rocket fuel!”.

I completely agree with that. When I have offered someone a home brew beer whom have never tasted one, you kind of get that look of apprehension and will often either refuse or choose something else. I think the reason is they assume it's only suitable for Gentlemen of the road and contains Brasso, ethylene glycol and diesel ending up with them sharing colourful profanities with members of the public.

Of course I never force them to try it, just let them carry on supping their bland bottle of commercial blandness :smile:

Such as what, though? I'm genuinely curious. Most home brewers don't bother with advanced water treatment or yeast nutrient or whatever, but some do. I'm a novice and even I treat my water with Campden. What are commercial breweries using that we aren't?
Ok, perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned chemicals. All I was originally trying to say was that I don't like the term "Craft Beer" for me it is just "Beer".

Why is it that when I mention that I make my own beer, people tend to ask, "Oh, do you make Craft beer" "No, I'm making real beer, using real ingredients and no chemicals. As beer should be made"
When I make my own bread, nobody ever asks "Is that craft bread"
Yet another sales gimmick from "Across the Pond"

Brian
Have a beer and keep calm:thumb:If asked that question,just say yes i crafted it just for you!
It's only a handle for sales although it should imply that it was brewed by a small brewery not a multinational,it sells beers!.
It's a similar thing to 'handmade or handcrafted just for you' which seems to appear more and more on many tv adverts,it's twadle to sell the item that's all.
Na sit back,have another homebrew and relax:thumb:

Have a beer and keep calm:thumb:If asked that question,just say yes i crafted it just for you!
It's only a handle for sales although it should imply that it was brewed by a small brewery not a multinational,it sells beers!.
It's a similar thing to 'handmade or handcrafted just for you' which seems to appear more and more on many tv adverts,it's twadle to sell the item that's all.
Na sit back,have another homebrew and relax:thumb:
You're making me sound like Gunge:grin: I'm actually quite relaxed about it. As far as sitting back and having a homebrew, I'm working offshore Nigeria until early January so no beer till then:-(

I have to say most of beer I've ever had that has been marketed as `craft beer' has been mucked about by the addition of things that should never be put in beer - like vanilla, marshmallows etc. etc.
Personally I prefer `artisan' beer. What I make myself...

You're making me sound like Gunge:grin: I'm actually quite relaxed about it. As far as sitting back and having a homebrew, I'm working offshore Nigeria until early January so no beer till then:-(
No stocks of it there then?
Gunge!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

My definition of craft beer is beer that is put in 330ml bottles which are sold at the same price everyone else charges for 500ml.

My definition of craft beer is beer that is put in 330ml bottles which are sold at the same price everyone else charges for 500ml.
I agree there, or 330ml cans. I'm guessing as it's "craft" they can sell it for more money.

Which chemicals are acceptable?
My beer often contains hydrochloric and sulphuric acid, lactic acid, potassium metabisulfite, calcium chloride, calcium sulphate and sometimes magnesium sulphate.

On top of those ingredients that I would argue are a basic requirement of the process breweries are able to use a whole smorgasbord of additives during and after the process without telling you about it because under EU regulations alcoholic beverages greater than 1.2%ABV are exempt from ingredient list and nutrition declaration requirements.

There's an old BBC article on it here and up to date information on the EU regulations are here.

I'd like to think that smaller volume brewers would be less likely to be adding stuff during the process but if they're bottling then you can guarantee there'll be a stabiliser in there to guarantee shelf life.

Latest posts

Back