Non pressure closed transfer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
Have I got this right? Is it possible to transfer from the spigot of the fv into the corny just by gravity via the beer out connection? I saw a video of it so where but can’t find it now!

I think so, yeah.

I'm assuming you have CO2 at hand?

Purge the empty, sanitised corny keg with CO2, then vent the pressure.

Open up the spigot on the FV. The beer will flow, but the pressure in the corny will build up due to the head space decreasing as it fills, so you'll have to "burp" the keg occasionally.

Alternatively, you could create an airlock using the gas-in post of the keg, taking a line off in to a jar or StarSan for more of a "closed" setup. This way, the air-lock will just bubble away as the keg fills.

Would be interested to hear how this goes!

Purge the Cornie with CO2 first. I don't consider that a fermentation lock is necessary. Fit a connector on the gas in post but just have an open hose on it. Gravity feed in and the CO2 will be displaced. CO2 is heavier than air so it's extremely unlikely that any air is going to get into the Cornie using this method. Personally I just fill my Cornie's without purging with CO2 first, just top up with CO2 afterwards. 35 Brews on and I've never had any problems. That's not to say that purging first isn't a good idea.

Brian

I don't consider that a fermentation lock is necessary. Fit a connector on the liquid out post but just have an open hose on it.

That's not a "closed transfer", that's just filling a keg! :lol:

It does raise a flaw with OP's idea though, it wouldn't be closed regardless due to the FV head space essentially being "open".

Any attempt at reducing O2 pickup in the keg would surely be negated by the contact with fresh air being drawn in to the top of the FV?

It does raise a flaw with OP's idea though, it wouldn't be closed regardless due to the FV head space essentially being "open".

Any attempt at reducing O2 pickup in the keg would surely be negated by the contact with fresh air being drawn in to the top of the FV?
My mistake, it should have read put the vent hose on the gas in post. Then transfer direct from FV tap to liquid out post.

Sure you can but it wont be a quick transfer as the post/poppet will restrict the flow.

fwiw i generally fill kegs with a 1/2" diameter hose After bottling/mini-kegging the surplus , through the lid void, cornies are stored with a nominal co2 pressure to keep the seal and retain the sanitised condition in the keg ready for a beer. so filling with a hose from the bottom up should simply push out the air/co2 in the keg as it fills.

thru the post filling with a disconnect attached to the gas in post or the prv pulled to vent excess gas (your probably going to foam up a bit in the keg due to turbulance. and flow restriction) wouldnt be my choice but it is an option.

one tip if filling blind like this is to chill the brew as cool as you can prior to transfer and if its a very dry day (humidity wise) place a small bowl of steaming off the boil water close to the keg.. then as you fill the condensation due to the cold beer in the keg will provide a visual indicator of the fill level as you go. alternitively the magnet and floaty ball trick could be worth looking into.

Technically, not fully closed. However, if the keg is purged with co2, the OPs setup is at least closed at the receiving end, which is the main point of o2 pickup. The FV will still benefit from the blanket of CO2 above the beer, which won't be disturbed too much due to the slow flow rate. When transferring post fermentation, I wouldn't consider slow flow rate as a negative, the less agitation, the better.

Thanks for the input guys, going to have to read few these a few times I think! Essentially looking for a simple no hassle way to reduce oxygen pick up and thoughtbthis may be it.

Is there any danger of clogging the beer in post?

Thanks for the input guys, going to have to read few these a few times I think! Essentially looking for a simple no hassle way to reduce oxygen pick up and thoughtbthis may be it.

Is there any danger of clogging the beer in post?
Depends how clean your wort is. Any hops going through will almost certainly give you a blockage.

When I Bottled, the bottling stick kept hops at bay but since kegging, I’ve noticed hop debris getting through (even after cold crashing and geletin). Wasn’t sure if the post would clog or actually hold the debris at bay. I guess you would need a filter then in the fv

Also how do you know when corny is full? By weight?

I found the vid by the way....... [ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9SEft6l-It8[/ame]

Latest posts

Back