Time to barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damo-bar

Reaction score
My brew been fermenting now for 2 weeks it’s due to be barrelled What do I do thanks

First off I know nothing about using barrels or kegs (so hopefully a forumite who knows what their about can chime in), have you purchased a pressure barrel (PB) yet? If so where from/what type

First, is your beer clearing, at two weeks on it should be, this being a good sign that the primary fermentation has finished. However I suggest you take an SG reading to confirm that.
I also suggest that you read this before you transfer any beer. Especially to avoid leaks from the PB cap.
Guide to a Standard Home Brew Pressure Barrel
I would not use any more than 95g of sugar to prime your beer.

Does the same rule apply for beers and lagers?
The priming sugar, that is.

Does the same rule apply for beers and lagers?
The priming sugar, that is.
Yes, on the basis that it is the PB pressure capability that is the limiting factor.
PBs are fine for low carbonated beers like bitter, mild etc but for higher carbonated styles like lagers and AIPA they are probably better put into bottles.
More here
Beer Priming Calculator - Brewer's Friend
That said there's no reason why you can't put any beer into a PB, it might not suit the style. But if you exceed 95/100g sugar all you will dispense initially is mostly foam, and more still and you will just vent CO2 through the relief device in the cap, as well as foam through the tap.

One more question how do I measure the sugar and do I have to sterilise whatever I use to measure

One more question how do I measure the sugar and do I have to sterilise whatever I use to measure
Kitchen Scales? Or use a teaspoon. My rule of thumb is that one slightly rounded teaspoon weighs just under 5g.
Provided I am satisfied that all the nonwetted items I use for brewing are scrupulously clean I dont bother to sanitise. And if any of my kit that will be wetted and come into contact with my wort or beer, it will be sanisitised before use.
I also keep my priming table sugar solely for brewing, and don't mix it with other kitchen items. This goes for all my ingredients.

Back