Twang

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piperbrew

Reaction score
Well I saw a comment on here last week regarding ''Twang'' and I asked what it was and it was explained. Today I sampled my last ever tinned beer kit which was maturing and sampled it. On the first sipped I understood what twang is. I am not sure if any of my other beers in the past had the same taste, most likely they did but my brain most likely brushed over it. But having it explained and then experiencing it has totally re-enforced my decision to go to all grain and has taken the edge of the initial outlay. :thumb:

@terrym posted this on the subject -

Homebrew twang gets recycled regularly
Last big threads here
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=676482
and here
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=68929
All the usual theories come out to play when its discussed including
- using table sugar
- using liquid malt extract rather than grain
- cheap kits
- not enough conditioning
- use of tap water
- yeast used
- cleaner/sanitiser
Everyone has their favourite, mine is cheap liquid malt extract.
However as far as I'm concerned, no-one really knows, as it would have been sorted out long ago.

Taint would be a better word for it, as that's what it is and does, it taints your beer with an unpleasant flavour.:lol:

Awww, not even bdoing? [emoji6]

This kit beer is terrible! Really strong homebrew bdoing! [emoji16]

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

Awww, not even bdoing? [emoji6]

This kit beer is terrible! Really strong homebrew bdoing! [emoji16]

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

I've done a few kit beers, none have had the bdoing. I have always used bottled spring water. these 2 facts together do not provide a concrete answer to solving bdoing! :grin: maybe we could compile a twangy beer kit list?

Latest posts

Back