Help with recipe with dark extract

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I signed up so I could ask you guys as my fellow breewers here in Norway couldnt help me much. So here's the story:

My uncle works in a ecologic bakeri and he's just been given a lot of premium dark malt extract. I'm pretty new to brewing , I've only done about 9 batches, kits mostly, except for a really tasty single hop pale ale.

My question is can this extract be used to make beer and what would you do? My intial thoughts are to buy cascade, us-05 and a bag of better beer (50%/50% sugar and dme ) boil with .ca 2 kilos of the dark malt extract and see what happens???? No clue really.

Any thoughts?

Welcome to the forum.

If the extract is barley extract, I would say yes. Some of our forumites use (barley) malt extract bought from health food shops to brew with, and I use it to make starters with.
As for the recipe I've never been a extract brewer so hopefully one of our extract brewing forumites can help you with this

Welcome to the forum.

If the extract is barley extract, I would say yes. Some of our forumites use (barley) malt extract bought from health food shops to brew with, and I use it to make starters with.
As for the recipe I've never been a extract brewer so hopefully one of our extract brewing forumites can help you with this

Thanks for the welcome! I think it's barley :D yeah my fellow Norwegian brewers haven't been able to help me much either with my question. We have a big forum called "norbrygg"
Hope to hear something from extracts brewers on here. What do you think of my idea ? Cascade etc.

I signed up so I could ask you guys as my fellow breewers here in Norway couldnt help me much. So here's the story:

My uncle works in a ecologic bakeri and he's just been given a lot of premium dark malt extract. I'm pretty new to brewing , I've only done about 9 batches, kits mostly, except for a really tasty single hop pale ale.

My question is can this extract be used to make beer and what would you do? My intial thoughts are to buy cascade, us-05 and a bag of better beer (50%/50% sugar and dme ) boil with .ca 2 kilos of the dark malt extract and see what happens???? No clue really.

Any thoughts?

yes providing it has no preservatives it should be a good base for a stout or strong dark belgian ale.

yes providing it has no preservatives it should be a good base for a stout or strong dark belgian ale.

So by base you mean what I wrote about the 2 kilos and the better brew is ok? :D

What would you guys do? I'm thinking a heavy dark beer maybe :D really haven't got a clue! If it was you and you've just got you're hands on this wonderful expensive extract.... Haha

So by base you mean what I wrote about the 2 kilos and the better brew is ok? :D

What would you guys do? I'm thinking a heavy dark beer maybe :D really haven't got a clue! If it was you and you've just got you're hands on this wonderful expensive extract.... Haha

If you used 4kg of it and 500g dark candi sugar and mangrove jacks m47 yeast. you should get 21 litres of around 6.5% abv dark beer.

https://humlecentralen.dk/gaer/torgaer-mangrove-jack-og-fermentis/

if you are ok with steeping grains for extra depth try 500g of this.... crushed of course.

https://humlecentralen.dk/special-malt/chocolate-malt-castle-maling-group-ebc-900.html

here's the recipe that made it to brewdogs homebrew final: just so you can see whats possible using extract as a base. adding wheat dme helps with foam retention.

20/03/2016
Brew 16 - Ris-ky business - Belgian RIS

Malt & Sugar:
2kg very dark dme
2kg medium dme
500g wme
250g dark candi sugar
Grains:
250g choc
250g carafa special III
250g roasted barley
500g dark crystal

steeping in 2litres bottled spring water
strike temp 76.8 - mash/steep temp 65
rinsed with 2 litres water at 50 degrees
added 4 litres to boil
and 4kg dme and candi sugar boiled for 15 min
50g mandarina bavaria in 1 litre of water separate 15 min boil
all pitched into fv and final 500g WME stirred in.
topped up to 22 litres
Mj belgian ale yeast rehydrated in 150ml 30deg water
pitched at 29 degrees - fermenting at 22
og 1090 - fg 1011.
10.37%
tastes very drinkable out of the sample jar, rich chocolate hints with dark fruits and sherry hints. Super now!
fabulous level of sweetness - not sickly balanced with a light bitterness. superb.
what a fantastic dessert beer :-)
primed with 150g sugar

If you used 4kg of it and 500g dark candi sugar and mangrove jacks m47 yeast. you should get 21 litres of around 6.5% abv dark beer.

https://humlecentralen.dk/gaer/torgaer-mangrove-jack-og-fermentis/

if you are ok with steeping grains for extra depth try 500g of this.... crushed of course.

https://humlecentralen.dk/special-malt/chocolate-malt-castle-maling-group-ebc-900.html

here's the recipe that made it to brewdogs homebrew final: just so you can see whats possible using extract as a base. adding wheat dme helps with foam retention.

20/03/2016
Brew 16 - Ris-ky business - Belgian RIS

Malt & Sugar:
2kg very dark dme
2kg medium dme
500g wme
250g dark candi sugar
Grains:
250g choc
250g carafa special III
250g roasted barley
500g dark crystal

steeping in 2litres bottled spring water
strike temp 76.8 - mash/steep temp 65
rinsed with 2 litres water at 50 degrees
added 4 litres to boil
and 4kg dme and candi sugar boiled for 15 min
50g mandarina bavaria in 1 litre of water separate 15 min boil
all pitched into fv and final 500g WME stirred in.
topped up to 22 litres
Mj belgian ale yeast rehydrated in 150ml 30deg water
pitched at 29 degrees - fermenting at 22
og 1090 - fg 1011.
10.37%
tastes very drinkable out of the sample jar, rich chocolate hints with dark fruits and sherry hints. Super now!
fabulous level of sweetness - not sickly balanced with a light bitterness. superb.
what a fantastic dessert beer :-)
primed with 150g sugar

Wow this looks very interesting. May be a tad complicated for me though... But hey I'll put it in my to do list. Maybe my future holds some risky business ;)

Any thoughts?
Try this.....
http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/guide-to-brewing-2-extract-brewing-c-58_60.html
In there is a recipe for using most of your ingredients, except the 'betterbeer' DME/dextrose, plus some background on extract brewing.
I suggest you work on a conversion of 650g DME =750g LME
If you use the crystal malt you will need to do a grain steep for about 30 minutes using water at temperature of between 65-70*C. The filtered liquor from this is then boiled with the hops plus more water.
You don't have to boil all of the extract wort. You only need to boil some of it with the hops. I suggest between 500g-1000g. You then only need a smaller pot, say 10 litres.The rest of the extract just goes into the FV as you would for a kit.

Try this.....
http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/guide-to-brewing-2-extract-brewing-c-58_60.html
In there is a recipe for using most of your ingredients, except the 'betterbeer' DME/dextrose, plus some background on extract brewing.
I suggest you work on a conversion of 650g DME =750g LME
If you use the crystal malt you will need to do a grain steep for about 30 minutes using water at temperature of between 65-70*C. The filtered liquor from this is then boiled with the hops plus more water.
You don't have to boil all of the extract wort. You only need to boil some of it with the hops. I suggest between 500g-1000g. You then only need a smaller pot, say 10 litres.The rest of the extract just goes into the FV as you would for a kit.

Thank you! This looks awesome. Will give it a try. I must say this a great forum :D

Thank you! This looks awesome. Will give it a try. I must say this a great forum :D
As an afterthought, be aware that with extract and AG brewing you are not forced to make up a brew volume that is driven by a kit requirements. So you can brew a volume to suit your needs.
So in this case if you don't have a large stock pot needed for the 22 litre recipe, but have a smaller pot, you could just simply make up a smaller volume wort with ingredients pro-rated accordingly.

As an afterthought, be aware that with extract and AG brewing you are not forced to make up a brew volume that is driven by a kit requirements. So you can brew a volume to suit your needs.
So in this case if you don't have a large stock pot needed for the 22 litre recipe, but have a smaller pot, you could just simply make up a smaller volume wort with ingredients pro-rated accordingly.

Thanks :) i was wondering about that. As you guessed I don't own (yet) a big pot. Max size I can get my hands on is 20 litres. I was thinking about making it half and half them adding the whole lot in the pot.

Thanks :) i was wondering about that. As you guessed I don't own (yet) a big pot. Max size I can get my hands on is 20 litres. I was thinking about making it half and half them adding the whole lot in the pot.
It is of course entirely up to you whether you boil the lot. However there is no actual need to do this as I said earlier. All grain brewers have to boil their wort for reasons additional to the hop boil, whereas extract brewers are really only interested in boiling the hops to extract bitterness and flavour.
And of course if you boil the lot you then have to cool it all from 100*C down to 20ish*C.

It is of course entirely up to you whether you boil the lot. However there is no actual need to do this as I said earlier. All grain brewers have to boil their wort for reasons additional to the hop boil, whereas extract brewers are really only interested in boiling the hops to extract bitterness and flavour.
And of course if you boil the lot you then have to cool it all from 100*C down to 20ish*C.

yes I only ever do a part boil 6-8 litres usually. I top up the fv to my usual 20-22 litres with superchilled bottled water

Latest posts

Back