Signing off indefinitely.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi there,

Since joining the Forum nearly two years ago (and starting to keep records) I have managed to produce (and drink!) 42 x 23 litre batches of beer & lager split more or less 50:50 between AG and Kits.

I've been brewing since about 1968 and (as far as I know) I have not recommended ANYTHING on the Forum that I have not at some time successfully done myself.

However, over the last couple of months I have got the impression that "experience" counts for less than nothing whereas "science" counts for everything.

I therefore hand over the baton to the scientists on the Forum ... :thumb:

... one of whom wrote this on another Forum just over a year ago ...

"Apologies if this is a boring, self-indulgent post,
but I thought I’d catalogue the brewing development and some of the
thought process behind my beers and their names.
I started brewing back in May 2014,
after a fair bit of research and procrastination,
and have now completed 40 brew days, here’s what I’ve been up to."

The person then starts off the list with ".... I thought I’d have a go myself. How hard can it be?" and now, after less than three years and a few experiments, the person can now tell everyone on this Forum how brewing is a "scientific process"!

It isn't! It's an obsession that can stay with you all of your life.

Many, many thanks to the Forum Members who have been such a help over these last two years.

Best regards,

Dutto :thumb: :thumb:

Reference:

https://macchomebrew.club/thought-y-brews/

Sorry man...Im a few in the bag and perhaps missing something. I hope your signing off is tongue in cheek......Who cares what a self indulgent self important nerdowell thinks? Sage advice comes from historical reference.....not blowhard assumptions...

Hi Dutto, I think you'll find that there are a lot of us that are of the same opinion as you, so you're not alone on here.
Who am I going to take the p.ss out of now, not the serious scientists I'm afraid.
Mind how you go, and remember not to overtake the guy with the red flag:lol::lol::lol:

Brian

What a shame - there must be nearly as many opinions and ways to brew as there are forum members, and these will depend on what they want to achieve from their beers, and why they brew.
Surely there's room on the forum for all?
:cheers:

Dutto,
Even if you may not post please keep an eye out for us....well me really! I've valued your knowledge and great advice on all things beer...and the other stuff too! I wish I lived close enough to buy you a pint...
Thank you!

Clint

Forums can be strange and difficult places often those with the biggest gobs can change the feel of the place, actually that goes for the net in general especially social media.

It's nothing to worry about and can even be quite amusing in a selfish sort of way, I though it was hilarious when I suddenly became a senior member when I'd only done 20 or so AG brews since I returned to brewing.

If you can't put up with it then the the nets not for you but I hope you'll stay.

aamcle

As with any hobby there are always those that think they can do it better than everyone else and think they know everything,yes there are a couple of gob****es on here as well mate but don’t let them put you off,I find your input informative and amusing and the forum would definitely be a poorer place without you.
Hope you reconsider buddy 👍

What a shame - there must be nearly as many opinions and ways to brew as there are forum members, and these will depend on what they want to achieve from their beers, and why they brew.
Surely there's room on the forum for all?
:cheers:

I agree, hope you reconsider Dutto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, I hope you change your mind Dutto. The forum will be duller without you.

*sigh* There is a scientific approach in brewing. Important part is reproducibility. Do something that works, and keep doing it until your skills are solid and predictable. THEN brewing actually starts. Experience combined with estimated guesses
A lot of thinking is involved, but a lot of gut feeling too. And both are required voor good brews, in my opinion. And sometimes other people's experience is invaluable, other people's mistakes can and should be learnt from.

If I wanted the same predictable brew every time again, I'd buy it.

I'd rather eat at a greasy spoon that handles preparing food with heart and soul, than at a clinical posh 1-star establishment.

So @Dutto : reconsider.

Oh man , I used to like this forum because of the no nonsense wit and genuine comments of experience.
I wouldn’t be where I am today “brewing quaffable beer...most of the time” without the support of the likes of this man.
None of that scientific babble for me !
Don’t do it Dutto !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alas there are always those who know best and that goes for any forums. Personally i don't give a flying f##t if anyone doesn't agree with what i post.
I don't know much,only been brewing for a couple of years plus, but have learned a lot and will continue to put my two pennyworth in.People can take note or not as they see fit.
Dutto,just ignore the know all's and they will soon get fed up:thumb:

Dutto, it will be a huge disappointment to see you go. Your posting style on here is quite unique. :thumb:
I'm sure you would find that the vast majority of homebrewers have learned by experience like yourself, and certainly myself, whether by visiting forums like this or trying out new things for themselves. The text book approach suits a certain type of person, and provided they don't lay it on thick, perhaps to try to impress, or shove it down my throat, that's fine by me, since we can all choose to either accept or reject what they say.
The problem on a forum like ours is there is a wide diversity of members, and so you will get a large variety of posts, and all that's fine by me provided posters don't get aggressive or post offensive **** like we had earlier this year when Diane Abbott took a pasting, but I am afraid you will never be able to stop that. You just have to think to yourself what a t**t and then move on, and leave it for the Mods to sort out if thats necessary.
So in the end I hope you reconsider, but if you do still choose to go, all the best.

The next thing we know, Gunge and Bri (Manxnorton) will leave, that would be all the humour gone:-(:-(:-(

Lol, the only way I'll be leaving is via a ban / death / imprisonment etc, or if someone scientifically proves that flaked barley causes a haze when my experiences say the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back