How long does a Saison take?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajhutch

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm considering putting a Saison into my brew schedule. I'm thinking French Saison yeast, I'm interested in the peppery yeast character people describe. It would be quite easy to do the fermentation around 21/22 and rising up a bit in my house (no brew fridge....) now or into spring but harder once the heating goes off.

My question is what is the peak sort of time after brewing to drink one of these? Is the yeast character prone to ageing out or does it stick around? I guess ideally I'd like something to drink in summer when it's warmer, so wondering when to brew it.

Feel free to answer using science, anecdote or any combination of the two!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find Saisons are great when fresh and the hops are vibrant, and then great after around 6 months when the hops have faded and the yeast comes to the fore. In the transition between 2 and 6 months they can taste a little lackluster. Historically, they probably would have been brewed in winter for summer consumption.

There's a great tip in Farmhouse Ales by Phil Markowski, where the hops are split in into 5 portions, use 1 portion at 60-90 minutes, 1 portion at 15-20 minutes and the remaining 3 portions at flame out.

the hops are split in into 5 portions, use 1 portion at 60-90 minutes, 1 portion at 15-20 minutes and the remaining 3 portions at flame out.

Whoa now, that sounds dangerously close to a mathematical formula :nono:

Fwiw my saison brewed with Wyeast 3711 scored a 44 when it was only about 8 weeks in the bottle, although it was in the FV for about 5 weeks too. I found mine didn't age too well, though I think there was an oxidation problem which began to show around the 3 month period.

Thanks guys. It sounds like if I'm after a look at the yeast character I should be able to brew fairly soon and have some left by summer (provided I do it right, never a given!)

I've done a couple recently that were very disappointing after a couple of weeks but got much, much better after a couple of months...

Is that MJ French Saison yeast? If so, make sure that your fermentation temperature is high enough. I did several brews with it, and got nice beer, but no peppery taste. Just fermented at normal ambient temperatures.

For a Belgian Saison, up the IBU's, because normally you would keep it until June before drinking, and the summer through. It should withstand a good chilling (ice, not British cask).

Is that MJ French Saison yeast? If so, make sure that your fermentation temperature is high enough. I did several brews with it, and got nice beer, but no peppery taste. Just fermented at normal ambient temperatures.

For a Belgian Saison, up the IBU's, because normally you would keep it until June before drinking, and the summer through. It should withstand a good chilling (ice, not British cask).

Fair to say I hadn't got round to choosing a precise strain yet, I'm more trying to plan ahead. I was however thinking I'd probably go with a liquid strain and I buy from Malt Miller so that means White Labs, I think the French Saison is WLP590. On the MJ yeast then, what temperature do you reckon is needed to get the ester profile?

My BBNO 01:01 citra saison clone, brewed with Wyeast French Saison, was ready to drink straight after carbonation. It won't be hanging around for long.

Fair to say I hadn't got round to choosing a precise strain yet, I'm more trying to plan ahead. I was however thinking I'd probably go with a liquid strain and I buy from Malt Miller so that means White Labs, I think the French Saison is WLP590. On the MJ yeast then, what temperature do you reckon is needed to get the ester profile?

Hoping to do a saison over the hols using the MJ yeast. It says to ferment at 26-32c for best results. Not tried it before.

ive used it 4 times, twice for saisons and at 25-30 you get the funky saison at lower temps its cleaner.

Latest posts

Back