AG No. 3 Timothy Taylor Landlord Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ H-R

Reaction score
Today I'm trying out a Graham Wheeler Timothy Taylor Landlord Recipe. :thumb:

Recipe:
brew length 23l
4250g Golden Primrose pale malt
30g black malt

Hops at start of boil

30g Goldings
30g Styrian Goldings

Last 10 mins

20 g Styrian Goldings
1 tsp Irish moss

Flame out

20g Styrian Goldings

Mash schedule 66 Deg C for 90 mins
Boil time 90 mins

OG 1042
FG 1010
ABV 4.2 %

Heating up the liquor
_MG_1309.jpg

Mash in ready to do its thing ;)
_MG_1314.jpg

All wrapped up for 90mins
_MG_1313.jpg

Mash out and I've lost a deg C
_MG_1315.jpg

First runnings
_MG_1318.jpg

Sparging using Brewstews' "how to" technique :thumb:
_MG_1319.jpg

Rolling boil
_MG_1320.jpg

Cooler on
_MG_1327.jpg

Transferring to the FV
_MG_1328.jpg

Do you want a flake with that? :lol:
_MG_1331.jpg

Not far out
_MG_1332-1.jpg

pitching
_MG_1333.jpg

all done
_MG_1336-1.jpg

Not a bad day all in all. time for a beer :drink:

awesome!!! :thumb:

when i saw black malt on the list is was like "what the feck??!?" but the colour looks spot on! :clap:

Cheers guy's,

I was a bit sceptical of the black malt but it seems to have got the colour pretty close :D

let us know how it compares to the real thing.

there was a debate not so long ago as to whether TTL contains crystal... the conclusion we came to was that if there is... it's the really light EBC stuff.. so lets see how this turns out without it ;) :thumb:

Nice piccies RHR :thumb:

(good to see you'd had your weetabix :grin: )

If more people had weetabix in the morning, we might not be in this credit crisis! :D

IIRC, according to Dave Line I think, the addition of a small amount of black malt helps with the PH in the mash but doesn't impart any unwanted flavour or additional colour to the wort (well, colour not to any significant extent I suspect).

Tidy work Russ and great photo's :thumb:
I did a clone of TTL and managed to colour match before brewing it via another beer I had on.
I used 120L crystal and it was a very close match, almost spot on.
Unfortunately the bittering was way out at 51 IBU, too low, or perhaps the fact I overshot the gravity by some way led to a lesser hop utilization. There was also no toffee note as I chose not to caramelise any of the runnings.

Hope it turns out to be a good'un :cheers:

Undershooting the IBU on a TTL sounds good to me - love the taste, but just too bitter for me usually to enjoy once it goes down the gullet - think I'd prefer yours vos....

I just did a best bitter (4.8%) using 5% caraaroma EKG & finished with Styrians. The colour & taste were very close to TTL.
I'm planning to do a TTL clone now with what I've learnt

Cheers Ross

Your Bitter recipe looks good to me Ross :thumb: I have made two different recipes of TTL Clone using Crystal and agree with Vossy ..that the colour is spot on..both were very simlar in taste BUT just not quite like the REAL STUFF :(

I will be interested to hear from Ross as to what he thinks when he makes the TTL Clone :thumb:

It's good to see I'm not the only one who uses tank insulation :thumb:
Mashtunclothed.jpg

Nice and easy to use, good insulating properties and it wipes clean :party: :party:

He He :lol: the tank insulation is great isn't it,

So the TTL finished at 1010 4.2% or there abouts. It's bottled up and conditioning as we speak :thumb:

I had a sneaky taste and despite being very green it wasn't a million miles off the original!

Can't wait for it be ready :party:

I'm going to try and brew a Black sheep ale clone tomorrow.

To start, keep in mind that I have never had the pleasure of tasting TTL, let alone a hand-drawn, cask-conditioned pint. Here in the Great White North (and it really is, we had snow yesterday), we don't get a lot of real ale in bottles, let alone at all. Though, many local brewers are casking and sending them to a few pubs. Anyhow, I digress.

I made a potential cock-up of a recipe for TTL on Saturday. My main reasons for making it were as follows:

1. Love real ales.
2. Nothing but rave reviews for this particular ale.
3. Looking for a house bitter
4. Still at the "willing to incessantly experiment with a new brew everytime" stage of my homebrewing 'career'

Here is the recipe that I used:

Malt:

11 lbs. (5 kg) ESB malt (pale) (4.0 SRM [7.9 ECB])
0.5 lb. (0.23kg) Carastan (Crystal 30-37) (34.0 SRM [67 ECB])
0.5 lb. (0.23 kg) Crystal 70-80 (75.0 SRM [148 ECB])

Hops:

1 oz. (28 g) EKG + 1 oz. (28 g) Willamette [Can't get fresh Fuggles at my LHBS] - FWH, then 60 min. boil
1 oz. EKG - 15 mins.
1 oz. Fuggles - dry hop for 14 days

Other:

1 tsp. gypsum (We have one of the softest waters on the planet here in Vangroovy) w/mash
1 tsp. Irish Moss @ 10 mins.

Yeast:

Wyeast 1318 (London III)

Hit my OG target @ 1048 - 70% efficiency (Just started batch sparging, so ...)
Expect FG @ 1013
ABV - 4.5%
SRM (EBC): 8 (16)
IBU: 40

Dunno . . . could be sh**e, but I have a positive attitude. Will let you know how it tastes, and some of you lucky folk who have actually had this stuff down your gullet might let me know whether I was anywhere close.

Cheers and beers.

Back